Raising INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Herb M

I am familiar with the foods that tend to lower the INR, but are there foods that tend to raise INR?

Hi Herb,

This is my experience. Grapefruit and or juice, Pineapple and or juice. Garlic is large amounts. Which I love and refuse to give up. Can't think of too many more other than having a Martini. 2 of those will raise my INR. Where Merlot wine seems to be fine.

There is some information that Aspartame (Nutrasweet) can raise the INR. I haven't found a really solid website that discusses it, like the FDA site. But there was enough out there to make me wonder. What I have read is causing me to rethink what beverages I serve like Crystal Light, diet sodas, etc.

If anyone out there has the Coumadin Cookbook, maybe there would be something in there.

**This isn't a food, but I also came across information that taking several Tylenol during a week could raise the INR significantly.

I've got the Coumadin Cookbook, and glanced at it, but didn't find anything about such foods. There are some recipes it would be fun to try, like Fuzzy Navel Cheesecake, or perhaps Peachy Pork Chops.

Gina, Grapefruit juice interacts with several medications including statins and beta blockers as well as many more. It is generally recommended to avoid that juice for people taking prescrition medications. Other juices are fine.

Latest posts

Back