Radiation/breast cancer affect on aortic valve?coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipped

Does anyone have any info on breast cancer radiation effect on aortic mechanical valve and coumadin???? Please offer anything known as I can't locate it anywhere. Thx

Welcome back Zipper!

We have several members (around 20 by my count) who had Radiation *before* Valve Replacement but I do not recall any who have had Radiation *after* Valve Replacement. Typically, Radiation to the chest has been a contributor to (native) Valve Disease and takes 20 years or more to become evident. Hopefully they are using lower doses now that these effects have become more well known.

You may want to ask your Cardiologist, Surgeon, and Oncologist if they know of any other patients who have experienced this combination of treatments. You may also want to ask what they can do to shield the Heart from Direct Radiation. Did your Oncologist discuss a combination treatment where they could use a Lower Dose of Radiation combined witha Lower Dose of ChemoTherapy to minimize the side effects of each?

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al and THANKS for the welcome back..yes..I am the original zipper and others have used it with add-ons. I will talk to my Cardi on Monday before starting treatment. I'm lucky...caught early..no chemo needed...radiation daily for x# of weeks and then adjunctive therapy with hormone blocking pill for 5 years. I'm hoping someone here has personal info as we know..EVERYTHING affects coumadin but I'm more concerned with the radiation. I appreciate your help Al..hope you're doing well.

Thanks Al and THANKS for the welcome back..yes..I am the original zipper and others have used it with add-ons. I will talk to my Cardi on Monday before starting treatment. I'm lucky...caught early..no chemo needed...radiation daily for x# of weeks and then adjunctive therapy with hormone blocking pill for 5 years. I'm hoping someone here has personal info as we know..EVERYTHING affects coumadin but I'm more concerned with the radiation. I appreciate your help Al..hope you're doing well.

Hey lady, where have you been?

Hi Ross..thanks for greeting! I've been around..just reading mostly. I've done well for 12 years with my valve and home testing my INR thanks to all the knowledgeable folks here. I rarely have anything to offer since you're all so helpful and informative. This is still THE greatest site for anyone with valve replacement...nothing to compare with it. I'll be reading and always sending my prayers and best wishes to everyone. You're the greatest group of people I've ever come across. Thanks for any info available..this is just another bump in the road and I'm keeping positive thoughts. I hope you're doing well Ross. You're doing a very good job! Regards to everybody..............Zipper

Quick update on this subject...Talked with my Cardi...he said no worries and to go ahead with the radiation. I check with him on everything but wanted to share this in case anyone here has had to deal with cancer after valve replacement. I've learned not many seem to have dealt with both...leave it to me!!! Take care everyone..I'll be reading and wishing you all the very best. Zipper

Hi Zipper,
Good to see you here but really sorry to hear what you are dealing with.

Just want to send warm greetings and wishes for successful treatments.
Please drop by and let us know how you are doing.

Hon they are out there, they just haven't replied. You are not alone!

Not Exactly Ross.

We have had around 20 members who had to have Valve Replacement AFTER Radiation Treatments (typically 20 years or so).

Zipper has had Valve Replacement (12 years ago?) and NOW needs Radiation.
I don't recall reading of any similar situations in the several years I've been reading VR.

'AL C'

Hi Zipper,
So sorry to hear about the breast cancer. I went through that in 2003.....I would suggest breastcancer.org as a great forum on that topic. At the time I already knew about my leaky mitral and aortic valves, and the fact that radiation might damage the heart was one factor in my decision not to have it even though it is the standard treatment. I can't recommend that for anyone else, although I am willing to share the factors that led to my decision.

Best wishes.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thank you for responding. I hope you are doing well now. I would be interested in anything you can share about your decision to forgo radiation treatment as my cardiologist has given me the ok. I will do a 6 week..5 day a week treatment as they can give lower doses when stretched out over this period of time. I will check our the site you mentioned. You stated you had leaky valves but did not mention if you went on to replacement valves. I'd be interested in your input and background on this.

Thank You, Zipper

Hi Pat...just to let you know I did checkout the site and you're right...excellent info there! It does advocate for radiation and hormone blocking treatment so I'm still curious about your decision if you care to share it with me. Thanks for your help and I hope you're doing ok now. Zipper

Hi Zipper ~ I just want to pop in and welcome you back and wish you all the luck in the world. My west coast sister just went through BC and is doing very well these days. Yes, we do have member/s who have mechanical valves and then get BC -- doesn't seem fair, does it - to get two big Kahunas!

Hi Zipper ~ I just want to pop in and welcome you back and wish you all the luck in the world. My west coast sister just went through BC and is doing very well these days. Yes, we do have member/s who have mechanical valves and then get BC -- doesn't seem fair, does it - to get two big Kahunas!

HI Janie!..Great to hear from you! I know..two biggies do not seem fair at all! I'm lucky..it was caught early.only lumpectomy and sentinal node was neg. Low score for poss recurrence but HER2+. So on to radiation and after 6 weeks on to hormone blocking pill for 5 years! Yikes! I'm reading everything I can find on each step. My cardi ok'ed radiation. I'm happy to hear someone else did ok with treatment after owning a valve! Any details for me??? I start Monday and am hoping for few side effects. I've received best news possible as I've traveled thru the steps...So far/so good! Tell me how you're doing!!! Zipper

Hey there mizz J..

This would be a good website for you and there's even a forum:
http://her2support.org/

My sister had the BRAC gene test and is negative because our other sister got BC in 1989. Both are fine.

West Coast sister did all she could and had all the tests possible before she made her decision. She found an open breast MRI along with biopsies in Newport Beach as the last diagnostic tool. Hey send me an e-mail..!

Hey Janie..sent you a PM. It's really great after all these years to be remembered. As I said this is a very caring group..no doubt about that! Thank You for sticking around and helping others as you always have..............J

I have not had my aortic valve replace yet. I had breast cancer in 2007 and had lumpectomy, radiation and I am now on tamoxifen. If you are on anti-coagulant medication they do not recommend tamoxifen. I do know that chemotherapy can affect the heart.

I have not had my aortic valve replace yet. I had breast cancer in 2007 and had lumpectomy, radiation and I am now on tamoxifen. If you are on anti-coagulant medication they do not recommend tamoxifen. I do know that chemotherapy can affect the heart.

Thanks Rebecca. I will discuss the hormone blocking therapy with my cardiologist and onco since I have real fears with all these meds after reading up. I've been told there are many 'bullets' to combat this so I'm hoping one will be compatible with coumadin causing the least 'clotting' problem. It is at least 6 weeks off (following radiation)so I am thankful for any input and appreciate your help! Take care...zipper

Back