Questions From New Member Millie Frank

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

I am still at the stage where they are trying to determine exactly what my heart problem is. They have done several tests & tell me they will know the answer after each, but don't and schedule another test. I have had an EKG, Treadmill/scan, Cardio Cath, Echo cardio & am now scheduled for a TEE echo. I have so many questions and expect answers, but just get more tests(they don't have answers yet). I hope all of this testing is to be thorough. But it has been almost 3 months since this process started & naturally I am anxious & frustrated. Is this normal or what can I expect?

Hi Millie
It sounds as though they are putting you through every possible test. The TEE would be the last thing short of going in and looking through surgery. They should, and most likely do know what's going on, but want to put you through the complete work up before they reach a conclusion. I would start demanding answers or at the very least, make them explain why further testing is needed. You have a right to know and also a right to refuse. If they won't cooperate, you may want to seek out another Doctor.

What kind of physical symptoms are you having?

My symptoms were what appeared as an asthma like condition in the middle of the night.

I have been soooo healthy til now & I will be 62 this Sunday.

This has realy thrown me & then I have waited so long & still do not have the complete story of what is in store for me.

Sorry to be a cry baby - 2003 has not been a good year in so many ways.

Take care.

Mil

Hi Millie-

Welcome to our little heart home. My husband is the patient here.

You are going through a thorough cardiac workup. My husband has been through them many times. Sometimes, it takes all of those tests to get the final diagnosis. The beginning tests don't show it all. They must have pointed to some problem and are trying to get a firm grip on the exact nature of the problem. The TEE should show the best view of just what is going on inside your heart, short of surgery. At this point you probably should ask what they are investigating, but don't be surprised if the answer isn't complete, and the doctor wants to wait till after the TEE for the final result.

I see from your member information sheet that you already have a diagnosis of a valve problem, so I guess that's a "given". They must be trying to be certain of the final measurement numbers to be able to give you a direction to go in. To recommend surgery or not, depends a lot on the findings of the TEE.

I'm sure that as soon as the results of the TEE are analyzed, you will know what is going on.

Best wishes, during this stressful time, and keep your new-found friends apprised of just what is going on with your situation. You will find much support and comfort here.

Tests

Tests

One other thought...they may be concerned with more then one problem. Often one will lead to another.

Hi Millie,
Welcome to this group. No where will you find a such a group with a common cause.
I agree. They are making every test to make sure. The asthma condition sounds familiar to me. I thought I was in good shape too but.....
Do not ever discount any symptoms! I did. i thought I was just "out of shape". Didn't want to complain.

carbo

Millie,
I don't have any real answers, but did want to comment on your statement about the asthma symptoms...When my aortic valve finally gave up the ghost, my first symptom was asthma like problems. I have had mild asthma since childhood. But since I knew about my valve after the new asthma meds did nothing...in fact, made things worse, I told my doctor I knew it was my heart and demanded to be referred to a cardiologist. As soon as he gave me the diuretics my "asthma" got way better and then I could discern other symptoms that I knew was from my heart. I know it is a terrifying time, but getting it fixed and soon is the best thing you can do. I feel so great now three years after my surgery....I think I was so very slowly getting worse for over a decade or so. Good luck and God bless. Keep in touch, even if it is only for a shoulder to cry on while you get this worked out.

Latest posts

Back