Questions about Ross

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

I've been looking back through the threads trying to find out exactly why Ross is having such a bad time of it. I do remember earlier in the summer that he had surgery scheduled (don't know what procedure) and some sort of infection set in. I just keep seeing these updates from his son and would like to know exactly what is wrong. Did something go wrong in surgery, or was it an unusually risky procedure? It does seem very serious and we certainly feel for him and his family.

Ross' original surgery was put off because he developed a really bad chest infection. He is in danger, anyway, because of lung issues so the infection was a definite consideration. He was on strong meds for it and when it cleared up a bit they re-scheduled him. He had told us he usually gets pneumonia while in the hospital, and we knew he would probably have a tough time. Well, he did - his lung collapsed, they had to put in a trach, he has been in/out of consciousness since surgery (6-7 wks ago?). But according to his son, Steve, he has been given jello & broth in last day or so and he must be finally coming around somewhat, but still very sick. He also had a hernia repaired while under anesthesia. Pray for him as he's not out of the woods yet, but we are standing and waiting with him.

Here's the post from his son Steve regarding what happenes just after surgery

"Mom got called in today around 12pm and me and Chris got there at 12:45pm. He had developed one (for sure, maybe more) bleb(s), and this one burst and started leaking air from his lungs, and he was turning purple. He was diagnosed with a pneumothorax (collapsed lung as I looked it up), so they put a stomach tube in to the leak and it's doing ok right now. He has some type of infection that the doctors can't figure out yet, but it keeps his BP really low and his temp was up to 104 degrees when called in, and when we left it was 103.8. He was diagnosed with a pneumothorax. We just now came home to eat and then we are going back. It's 6:55pm now. Keep praying.

Steve"

This was posted on 7/31/02

I still can't seem to 'cut and paste' in the reply box but I was able to QUOTE Ross' explanation of his need for surgery in the HEART TALK forum where it first appeared.

Basically, his aorta ruptured on 95, was partially repaired, and has had further deterioration, along with his lung issues.

Sadly, he is probably our most surgically challenged member.
I think of him daily.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back