Questions about diet and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norm:

I think we're kind of on the same page here, even if it may appear that we're arguing. I am not ridiculing ANYONE for whatever personal decision they make about the type of valve they choose.

I'm glad to see reference to reports of good, long term results for people with tissue valves. I've read a lot of reports by people on this forum whose tissue valves lasted less than ten years. I didn't look at reports of research on large groups.

The risk of increased brain damage from head trauma in people with INR higher than 2.5 wasn't communicated to me when I had to choose between tissue and mechanical.

As far as diet and INR - there have been a lot of great comments here. There's evidence showing benefits of Vitamin K (aside from the coagulation that it can accelerate - and that Warfarin can reduce), so greens are probably a good thing to be eating. IF you get a mechanical valve, it is probably a good idea to be able to test your INR -- that way, if you make major changes to diet or activity, you can easily check for effects.

Jim -- there are a lot of things to consider when selecting a valve. Norm and I may have made the decision a bit less clear. It looked as if you've already decided on the type that is best for you.

As others have said, we're here for you...

Back