Question.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJM

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum.
My name is Laura, and i am 40 years old. i have recently underwent my 4th open heart surgery (aortic valve )
I have a few questions regarding the mechanical valve that they used.
My surgery was on Oct 25th and the sound of this valve is creeping me out. Does this clicking noise ever go away ??:confused2:
Also i dont know how many of you have has multiple surgeries but my ribs and sternum are killing me, i am wondering when the pain will start to go away ??

I am very thankful i found this site.

It'd be interested to know what brand of valve you got. I have an On-X and I can hear it click most of the time, sometimes its really faint other times my heart thumps loud and its freaking depressing. I'm 4 months post op so I guess my heart is still adjusting but sometimes I can barley hear it and I wish it was that way all the time. Everyone is different. Welcome to the club : b

Hello

I have St. Jude Mech Valve, got it 16 years ago and the clicking never goes away, but i am very skinny too LOL. I am used to it, my wife and kids hear it when we lay in bed all quit but my brain tunes it out so will yours. I actually like it, it tells me he is kicking hard. Just cover you chest with your comforter at night that works for me.

I am not sure what kind of mechanical valve it is, I do have a follow up appointment Dec 6th so i will ask.
Also i am very thin (115 lbs) and the sound is so loud when i am laying down its all i can hear & it is very dpressing.
the sound is driving me nuts.
I had my pulmonary valve replaced back in 06 with a bovine cow valve & i heard that for about a week & then i could no longer hear it anymore.
I was hoping this clicking noise would go away

I just called my Dr and he said i have a St.Jude Mechanical Valve.

It'd be interested to know what brand of valve you got. I have an On-X and I can hear it click most of the time, sometimes its really faint other times my heart thumps loud and its freaking depressing. I'm 4 months post op so I guess my heart is still adjusting but sometimes I can barley hear it and I wish it was that way all the time. Everyone is different. Welcome to the club : b

It could stop you have a much newer valve so I am not sure. You have to stay strong try not to concentrate on the clicking. I am telling you, your brain well get used it and block it out. I cannot hear it unless I stop and start concentrating on it. The everyday noise blocks it out. Only at night I might hear and that is not common and if I do I cover my chest. You have a great valve it will last you for a very long time.

I have a St judes valve also and i can hear it sometimes quite load and other times not at all.If you hear it it means you are alive,be happy,dont worry.

Oh NO dont get me wrong i am thankful to be alive, but this clicking noise can be really annoying, it seems like its all i hear. I am hoping i get used to it.

Like a dripping tap, the hum of a fluorescent light, or the ticking of a clock, it will fade into the background when the day arrives that your mind is busy with other things. Even better, it become objectively quieter over time, with both the remodeling of your heart, and seemingly with the growth and repair of tissues etc. My was crazy loud at first, and now I only hear it occasionally. If you have trouble sleeping because of it, I'd recommend a fan to create soft white noise that drowns it out.

I have been sleeping with my TV on lately. But the noise is from within, seems like nothing dulls it. The valve is only 5 weeks old. Maybe it will fade in time,

Three years on a St. Jude's valve and the sound does not go away. Your brain will block it out most of the time. If I lay on my left side at night to go to sleep it bothers me a little. For it to quit ticking would be a very bad thing. I just remind myself it is a good noise to have.

Re- clicking valve. It's like when I snore - I wake up & apologize to my husband - & he always tells me - that's ok - snoring is like music on hold. - at least u know you're still connected ". Ha ha

Am getting a tissue - so ill skip the clicking but I'll still snore. Thanks - my date of 2-9-12 is getting closer & who ever said the waiting is the hard part is right ! Butbhankfully will be busy up til hen - so thanks for all he good comments. Helps.

Nancy Jane.

I had an On-x aortic valve put in 10/17 and do hear it from time to time. My wife does too, but we both personally find it reassuring. That is, hearing it reminds us that it is in there doing it's job. I saw my surgeon today and asked him about it and he said it will quiet down over time and that I will also become acustomed to it. I hope you get used to it or it subsides enough that it does not bother you. Do keep in mind it is a good sound.

Re- clicking valve. It's like when I snore - I wake up & apologize to my husband - & he always tells me - that's ok - snoring is like music on hold. - at least u know you're still connected ". Ha ha

Am getting a tissue - so ill skip the clicking but I'll still snore. Thanks - my date of 2-9-12 is getting closer & who ever said the waiting is the hard part is right ! Butbhankfully will be busy up til hen - so thanks for all he good comments. Helps.

Nancy Jane.

Wow...that's a great line from your husband...I might have to steal it!

I still hear my On-X however over time I have gotten used to it. My kids do not mention that they hear nearly as much now, but on occasion they will mention how loud it is. During the day, I barely ever notice it.

You should have received a Valve ID card to carry with you. It will have the serial number on it...just in case there is a recall. St Jude needs to know about you and how to reach you. I did not have one when I left the hospital either until I read about it here. I contacted On-X directly to get mine, however the surgeon should do this. Ask on the 6th.

Stay well
Scott

That quote is great i will be using that one.
Are you getting a tissue valve in the Aortic ??? I have a tissue valve in my pulmonary (bovine cow) I heard that one for about a week & then never again.

Nancy Jane.

I have not received my ID cards yet from St.Jude.
I do carry the ones i have for my cow valve.

Joann had 2 Starr Edwards Valves in 1971. She was only 88 lbs. Our dog played hide and seek by listening to her valves. It was a wild time a good memories, but it was not pleasant in the first years. We will talk about some of this on her 40th anniversary.

Living the good life in Ohio and Florida. Traveled to 48 states with the mechanical valves. Mostly in an RV.

The clicking sure messes up the card games.

Laura, I had a mechanical valve for 6 years and I could hear it the whole time. I had to start sleeping with a fan at night to drown out the noise. But, it reminded me I was ok. I'm glad to hear from you I am looking at having my 3rd valve replacement on the aortic valve in 9 years. It's nice to know even a 4th can be done. About your pain, are you wearing a surgical bra? the second time around, that really helped with the pain. I woke up with it already on and although it doesn't make sense that having something tight around your sternum would help, it sure did me.

NO i am not wearing a surgical bra. (i bearly have a chest to start off with, lol) I did however put on a fitted tank top & there is still pain. I called my DR & i am going to see him on Monday.

Latest posts

Back