question on advice I was given

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The INR drop is probably because the body WANTS to have an INR of 1.0. Given the opportunity, it probably works with the Vitamin K before it is fooled by Warfarin. The effect of REAL Vitamin K in the body may be faster than it is for Warfarin (probably because the body knows how to USE Vitamin K for making the INR lowering materials and other things that the body needs.) Warfarin is referred to as a Vitamin K Agonist (VKA), so fools the body into treating it as if it WAS Vitamin K, but is not converted into the coagulation regulating materials -- perhaps it also takes longer for the liver to process it, so this is the reason it can take 3 or more days for the full effect of a dose to be realized.

(It looks like I've got to get a book with a chapter or two on Vitamin K, VKAs, and how they work, so I'm not just speculating about why Vitamin K produces effects more rapidly than Warfarin)

I believe the correct term is Vitamin K Antagonist (NOT Vitamin K Agonist).

It is my (non-professional) understanding that the reason that vitamin K (or lack thereof) takes time to act is that it is a secondary reaction that controls the coagulation factors in the blood.

'AL Capshaw'

Al, I double checked, and you're right - it's Vitamin K Antagonist.

I'm looking into why Vitamin K acts more quickly than Warfarin, just out of curiosity. Thanks for the correction to what VKA stands for.

Latest posts

Back