Question lovenox v heparin for bridging

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Have a couple of questions. First, I have a very small hernia but very bothersome since I work out a lot. I want to get it taken care of, which involves a 20 minute outpatient procedure. My cardiologist, when I first asked about it, said don't do it unless I absolutely HAVE to. But I feel I do have to, and happened to be in to see him a couple of weeks ago, and he said sure, do it, but I'll be in the hospital 3-4 days re: bridging, starting w/lovenox at home but then heparin after the procedure.
So. Since this is such a small procedure, and I see some of you on here having molars extracted and whatever else, I wondered if I even needed to go off coumadin. I was so excited when I found an article online about a study that concludes patients don't need to go off coumadin for hernia surgery. I know my cardio will still want me to, so next thing I did was call my sister in law in Florida who is a general surgeon. She said she wouldn't do it, but I told her of the article, so she said she'd call her brother, a cardiologist, and see what he said. When she called me back, she told me how it's really a legal thing for dr.'s to cover themselves, but that she herself would not do it, and that her brother asked why I have to go in the hospital at all, why not just do lovenox before and after? I feel I should know this, after all the reading and asking questions I've done, but I just don't know the answer to that one. Is it just procedure for different doctors, a preference to how they do it?
One last note, that last year when my INR dropped the dr. said that I should always bridge in the hospital b/c I drop so fast. I just want to do the procedure as an outpatient with NO bridging. Of course the hospital that did the study is in England; if it was here in the US I would travel if it meant I could avoid the bridging.
Anyhow, any insight as always is appreciated!!
link to the article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18704620

Lovenox is low molecular weight heparin.

From what I've read, it's less likely that your body chemistry will rebel against it than plain heparin. Not much else different about it, as far as I know.

Best wishes,

I have written several posts on the answers I received from 3 different surgeons on their philosophy about Bridging.

You can probably find them by doing a Search for "Bridging" on the Anti-Coagulation Forum with my Screen Name as author.

I have bridged for 2 procedures using Lovenox with NO problem.
After the second procedure, it took 24 hours before my nurse would give me another Lovenox injection (on my Dr.'s orders). The Nurse seemed to think there was No Need for Lovenox since I had my Coumadin the night before.
Obviously this Nurse was CLUELESS about how long it takes for Coumadin to become effective.

After reading of Ross's bleeding issues after his oral surgery to remove all his teeth, I have come to appreciate the balance between Bleeding Risk and Clotting Risk. I'm now more inclined to wait 24 to 48 hours after invasive procedures before resuming Lovenox Injections. Coumadin can usually be resumed shortly after the procedure.

'AL C'

I honestly don't think you need to come off of Coumadin at all. A hernia surgery is not that bleaming bloody. These people will never learn. Lovenox and Heparin both will make you bleed far worse then Coumadin could ever hope too. Don't know if second opinions are an option for you, but I'd sure as heck try.

The article is correct

CONCLUSIONS: Patients can safely undergo inguinal hernia repair whilst on Warfarin as long as the INR is less than 3.

I honestly don't think you need to come off of Coumadin at all. A hernia surgery is not that bleaming bloody. These people will never learn. Lovenox and Heparin both will make you bleed far worse then Coumadin could ever hope too. Don't know if second opinions are an option for you, but I'd sure as heck try.

The article is correct

Interest idea. A General Surgeon once Lanced an infected cyst on an anticoagulated patient I know.
A Pressure Bandage (and later One Stitch on a bleeder) kept things under control.
The first couple of dressing changes were 'challenging' but it worked out OK.

Latest posts

Back