Question for the ladies please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Immediately post operatively in ICU what were you 'wearing' - I mean the hospital gown or whatever, and how much does it cover you if you are indeed covered at all ? Do your boobs show since the incision is close to them ? Not that I've got much and I'm not at all embarrassed to be exposed (in medical situations :) ), but I'm just curious to know what I will look like to others when I'm lying there asleep, or even awake before I'm moved out of ICU.

The hospital gown, fashionable garment that it is, covers everything. :) You go into surgery wearing one, it mysteriously disappears during the operation I assume, and when you wake up your boobs are covered.

Nurses are very sensitive and attentive to modesty and will be sure you are covered. Each time I awoke after surgery in CICU, I was in a hospital gown which has snaps on the shoulders for easy access and is open in the back. When laying in bed, I was covered by the gown and had blankets covering me. As soon as I was up and walking (my second surgery, that was day one post op), though I had brought a robe, I preferred to use a second hospital gown put on the opposite way and use as a cover. With the first gown open in the back, I had the second gown open in front so I was fully covered. It was easier to put that on than my robe. My nurses always checked to be sure I was covered.

I agree with all the previous posts.

Don't worry, like Jkm7 said, the nursing staff will make sure you are covered. When you're up and walking, the nurses will most likely put two hospital gowns on you so that you won't show.

Best of luck and God bless. Oh, and Happy New Year to you! :)

I was going to try and get dh to take a photo of me looking like a Borg but probably the drain tubes and things won't show with the nurses making sure I'm covered ! Ah, they probably won't let him take photos anyway in ICU.

Happy New Year to everyone from me too :)

You will be well covered, but after a few days with that gown being opened so often to check incision, pull wires, pull staples, etc. etc. you just won't care anymore.
Large chested women (not me) will be encouraged to wear some kind of bra for support, but I was as free as a bird ;)
Also, my hubby was much too traumatized to take any pics in hospital.

Hi Bina,

I'm happy to be bare chested, whatever is comfortable, modesty isn't an issue for me, honest ! They've already said I should have a bra for support but I don't own one as I'm too small to ever need one. Like you, I like to be free as a bird - when I have tried a bra under rather revealing clothing I have found them horrible uncomfortable, hence not owning one ! I don't need 'support' either. Hey I breast fed for nearly five years and despite dire warnings that breastfeeding wrecks the shape of breasts, mine are in perfect shape ;) Overweight men can have bigger boobs than me but they don't tell them to wear bras :biggrin2:

I think my hubby will be traumatized by this too :(

Last edited:
I found it was good having a pair of old shorts with an elastic waist so that when my legs were in an awkward position, they covered me (I also had underpants, of course).

I got an infection at the very bottom of my incision my first surgery and it was from the underwire on my bra rubbing. It was a tiny infection and I caught it immediately so a course of oral antibiotics took good care of it but from then on, I wore a stretchy, pull over my head lightweight sports bra type style. It was from Barely There, bought it on line at One Hanes Place.com but I've seen them in Macy's. It was perfect and never rubbed me. I held onto them and wore them when going through airports so my underwire would not set off the security beeper. When I learned I needed another OHS, I was so happy I hadn't discarded the bras as they served me well again post op.

I took a couple pair of cheerful.brightly colored,comfy pj bottoms to wear at the hospital on postop days 2 to 4. Otherwise you wear a gown to cover the top.
At home you will need several button up shirts for the first couple weeks at home.

my last open heart surgery was in 1993 and I was 13, so I probably wasn't even wearing a bra yet. But, I've been in the hospital for many other surgeries, heart related and non heart related. Over the years, I have learned to bring underwear and a couple pairs of yoga/comfortable pants or shorts. I like to walk to halls in hospitals, and the gowns do not cover your backside when you are up walking. However, your breasts should be covered by the gown when you are in the recovery room. So, you shouldn't have to worry about that. you may not be able to wear a bra right away, but I don't know from experience.
Also, as a previous poster said, they will be opening your gown to check your incision daily, so you will get used to it. Over the years, I've had 5 heart catherizations and 1 heart ablation (3 years ago) when they had to go in through my groin. I was not allowed to wear underwear for those procedures. You get used to having no modesty in the operating room..haha

Latest posts

Back