Question for Al on Coumadin and Migraines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TSH

Hello Al,

I have been on Coumadin since my Aortic valve replacement in August of 1999. For a couple of months after my surgery, I had severe migraine type headaches with the auras/scotomas. They went away after my hematocrit (sp?) came back up.

A little over a year later, in October of 2000, the migraines returned and I have been experiencing them with various degrees of severity ever since. I experience a wide range of neurological symptoms, such as loud ear ringing, double vision, and numbness and tingling on the left side of my face and in my left hand, in addition to the auras/scotomas. I was recently hospitalized for a couple of days after one of these episodes because my doctors thought I might be having a stroke, but all tests (MRI, CT scan, etc.) were perfectly normal.

My neurologist prescribed Topamax a few months ago, and it has helped quite a bit. However, I am having to increase the dosage periodically to keep the migraines away.

Of course, I am trying to figure out what has triggered this onslaught of migraines. I have asked my neurologist if coumadin could be causing the migraines, but he says he doesn't know. I was wondering if any of your patients on Coumadin had experienced problems with migraines.

HI TSH
I had the opposite happen to me. Before my valve replacement I had terrible migraines, ever since age 13. Since my surgery a year ago I have not had one migraine. I was on topomax and corgard and both never really seemed to help the migraines. Of course, before my surgery i could not take any of the drugs for migraines, Imitrex, Migranol, etc. I got a lot more relief with magnesium supplements than anything. I don't know what that does to Coumadin. I am not a Coumadin taker.
Anyway, I know what a hassle migraines can be. I hope you can get some relief. I am curious to see what Al posts.
Staying a a regular sleep scedule hlped me a lot, too.

Good luck
Mara

Hello TSH,

I too experienced double vision (and other visual anomolies) and tingling of my skin (over my whole body) during the first few weeks following my surgery. Dizzyness, Lightheadedness, and a general FUZZY feeling / thinking accompanied these symptions. I am on Coumadin and was also taking a number of other drugs including Levaquin (antibiotic).

Fortunately, these effects have subsided as I healed and dropped off several of my original medications.

'AL'

Migraine sufferer here too.....

Migraine sufferer here too.....

Hi Tsh

I have suffered from migraines since I was 17. It is always preceded with the typical aura. I have now been on coumadin for 20 years, and although my migraines have worsened over the past few years, I don't think my Coumadin has anything to do with it. I take Fiorcet for the pain, and now I am taking Toprol XL daily (beta-blocker) which seems to help.

Good luck-I know how you feel.

Gisele

Latest posts

Back