question for Al - DDI with Ortho Evra?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraidofsurgery

Has anyone experienced a drug-drug interaction with an oral contraceptive? I have been on Ortho Evra since a few years prior to my surgery. It's now a few years after my aortic valve replacement surgery with a mechanical valve.

My coumadin dose has been raised slowly to accomodate my PT-INR readings. My cardio says this is not unusual. I started out on 7.5 mg/day 6 days/week; 10 mg/d 1 day/wk, and now it's 10 mg/d 5 days/wk; 7.5 mg/d 2 days/wk. But this is not my problem.

Seems after the dose increase to 10 mg/d 3 days/wk; 7.5 mg/d 4 days/wk, I've experienced spotting and bleeding, along with an extended period (2 weeks - yuk!) where I haven't before. As some may understand, this is more annoying to me than the open heart surgery was ;)

I searched pubmed for drug-drug interactions with oral contraceptives but didn't find anything pertinent. Of course these problems could be due to something unrelated and I will be making an appt with my ob/gyn. But wanted to check if I missed anything in the literature about perhaps the coumadin causing increased metabolism of the ortho evra so it's effectieness is decreased.

Thanks!!
Patty

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs:

Coumadin
Ortho Evra

Patty what is your INR during these bleeding episodes?

Patty

Patty

I went back to your first post..when you said, you were age 43..Now must be age 45? Maybe you are going thru menopause?....when I was your age..I started having the same symptoms..Skip a month, heavy bleeding the next month, ect..This lasted until my 50th Birthday....Had my LAST period that day..:D ....Best Birthday present I got..:p .......Didn't have my surgery until age 62..when I started taking coumadin.....I am sure that other ladies will see your post and reply..about taking birth control pills..(the younger members)Hope your ob/gyn can help you...Bonnie

stupid body tricks

stupid body tricks

I would welcome menopause! I'd definately think that's to blame if I weren't on the Ortho Evra, maybe I'm wrong about expecting predictability..

I get my PT-INR taken once a month or once every 2 weeks depending on whether my cardio's changed my dose. I've had it taken roughly 3 times the last 6-8 weeks, at 2.1, 1.7, 1.9. My coumadin dose was just increased again since i seem to be burning up the coumadin (this is a non-technical assesment!!).

The bleeding doesn't seem to correspond with an increased PT-INR, but it seems (to me) to have started to show up with an increased dose, since my target range has been 2-3 and I haven't had any big spikes in the reading. It has dropped a bit low a few times, though.

Patty

Mirena IUD anyone?

Mirena IUD anyone?

I went to the OB/gyn and all is well, thankfully. We talked about possibly getting my tubes tied + an ablation, or trying an IUD that emits progrestins called Mirena. Sounds like a logical approach - periods eventually stop due to the hormone exposure.

But, I found a few blogs where patients were complaining about side effects such as joint and back pain, depression, and weight gain. I know sometimes on websites you only see the complainers, but I would like to get more info.

Anyone use this type of IUD? Sounds like a personal question...

Patty

Latest posts

Back