Question-deep breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp172

I am about 10 weeks from minimal invasive surgery to repair my mitral valve. Everything has been fine. I am in cardio rehab and the only restrictions have been lifting. But I have a question. When I take a deep breath I feel a funny sensation (no pain) near my incision or maybe near one of the chest tube sites. If I apply pressure to the site I barley feel it. This normal? It feels like the lungs rubbing against something.

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing, but it felt to me like some internal parts had begun healing in the wrong places, and as I began to move more thoroughly after surgery, I tore those loose. It was definitely a strange feeling, but all good.

Can't tell from your description, but I definitely felt all kinds of weird things for at least a month after surgery

I'm probably being unnecessarily alarmist, but having just returned from 3 delightful days in the hospital with both pericardial and pleural effusion, I think it's a good idea to have it checked if ANYTHING changes with your breathing. Especially if the sensation you describe is making you alter your breathing.

I was at about 9-10 weeks when I started feeling like a big hard ball was expanding just south of my sternum (about in the area of the drainage tube holes) when I was walking up hill, or had to climb two flights of stairs, and I would slow down and shorten my breath to prevent that sensation.

I hope yours is just one of those strange feelings, but please check it out!

For several weeks post op I had weird sensations with my right lung. It felt like it was a bit squished or sometimes rubbed on my ribs.:confused: Doctor found nothing.
It went away on its own.

Thanks Guys/Gals,

I had a chance to speak with one of my surgeons today. He told me that my chest will ache for at least 6 months and the lungs are rubbing against tissue which is healing. I will therefor look for something else to worry about.:)

I'm 3 weeks to the day post op. I get the same thing. Aches and pains but other than that I'm feeling great.

Latest posts

Back