question about life-long Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some of your are aware, Joann has been on Coumadin (mechanical valves) since 1971. This has been more of an incovenience than a problem. Sure the Ptime gets messed up for a few weeks, but she is very pleased that Cleveland Clinic made the decision for her.

LOL, Dick, you're an inspiration. :D

My mom always says getting old isn't for sissies.

Dayton, I mostly agree the decision isn't all that hard. This forum is a great place to benefit from others' experience to "test out" my views. I plan to consult with a couple of surgeons in January. I'm starting to get my ducks in a row. After a month of struggling to get my medical records from one doctor to another, I'm getting copies of everything made so I can hand-carry them with me. I'll probably replace the cardiologist too because her staff is raising my blood pressure with frustration (and I've only been with her a year anyway).

Michele

Michele,
My long time cardiologist and the surgeon (that I met face to face the day before surgery) agreed with using the mechanical valve. Even with a history of bleeding ulcer they were against a pig valve for a person my age. The year before I had a severe bleeding duodenal ulcer that required three trips down my throat to stop the blood. With medication and luck I've had no more ulcers.

Wish you the very best with which ever valve you use.

So true about Dick, he is an inspiration for us all. :)

I smell turkey!!!
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! :)

Remember, you may choose a valve, but when the truly great surgeon gets in there, you may get another one. My surgeon explained to me which valve I would probably get, but he really wouldn't know until he saw my aorta and the old valve and graft and whether or not they were infected. I was told either homograft or St judes with conduit. My surgeon constructed a back table CVG, carbomedics top hat in a 30mm woven dbl velour Hemashield graft!
So, you have to be ready to wake up and have something other than you were so sure you would get.

Hi Gail, who was your surgeon? I'm planning to meet with a couple in January and already read about Dr. Miller (Stanford) in here...

Hi Gail, who was your surgeon? I'm planning to meet with a couple in January and already read about Dr. Miller (Stanford) in here...

Yes, Either Dr. Miller or Dr. Scott Mitchell at Stanford. Each are equally good in my opinion. Dr. Mitchell did my AVR and dilated aortic root, using a Medtronics Freestyle valve on 08/05/08. I couldn't be happier with the results, and with Stanford hospital. Everyone there are a real class act!! :)

My excellent surgeon was indeed Dr. Craig Miller! I feel great heartwise now.
He and his team did an amazing job on me.

Latest posts

Back