Qualifying for home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdegranville

Hello all,
I am going on Coumadin and I'm wondering what exactly the difficulties are with getting the home testing unit. Is it an insurance problem or doctor not prescribing problem? I have United Health Care and I would like to know what I'm up against. Do the doctors wait to prescibe the home testing until your INR is regulated?

Thanks so much,
fdeg

Qualify for home testing

Qualify for home testing

hi fdeg, To get a unit to home test you first need a doctors prescription..... and many doctors we learn from this forum either do not favor home testing or are unaware of it. After you get a prescription you must then contact the various companies and decide which machine you wish to purchase. Some companies like QAS will then fill out he paper work for you and also deal with your insurance company. If you qualify QAS will get a Protime machine to you and then train you I understand by phone. Coaguchek made by Roche will send you forms and you must pay them up front for the machine and then you must try to get reimbursed by your insurance company. A few weeks down the road after you pay for the machine a trainer will deliver it to your home and spend a half day training you. Check recent threads, there are now some other companies producing home monitors.

HOme Testing

HOme Testing

Thanks Marty,
Are you saying that as long as your dr writes a script for it the insurance company will pay? Or do some say they won't?
fdeg

Insurance and home tester

Insurance and home tester

Hi, Fdeg, the doctors prescription only enables you to purchase the unit. You are liable for the payment so it is up to you to get your insurance company to pay.The doctor can help by writing a letter for you to send along with your insurance papers stating that the unit is necessary and may save the company money. This can be a hassle but is worth the trouble.

Francesca (sorry) give Michele Grogg a call at QAS. She can send you an information packet on the Protime unit along with the getting started paperwork if your still interested.

You can reach Michele at :
Email address is [email protected]. Phone number is 1-800-298-4515, ext. 2616. As I said before we pride ourselves in our customer service and want our customers to be happy and satisfied.

To Ross

To Ross

Hey Ross,
That's okay, I kinda liked Fred.......I'm also know as Frank.

Marty

Marty

Did you say the Coagucheck training is one half day??? Seems like so much time just to train. My Avocet unit came with training by VNA that took less than one hour (testing method seems similar to yours), and Protime sent no one-I had to self train.

Gee, did you have to provide lunch too? LOL

Gisele....

Gisele....

Not meaning to butt in here in front of Marty....however, my training for the CoaguChek was less than an hour. The company made it all really simple since they sent me a video plus a handy brochure and then a book explaining what all was about. All this was well before the 'trainer' arrived and I had watched and read it. It was rather straightforward and simple which I appreciated.

I think if you look around on the net enough you'll find a couple of places that sell the CoaguChek....one even offers a discount! Don't know how 'concentrated' their market is tho..

Oh, and I just replaced my batteries for a whopping $3.99. So, next time you and Marty are in my area -- lunch is on meeeeeee!

Good luck...!

Thanks

Thanks

Would love to have lunch in Texas. Never been. The closest I ever was to your state was in Las Vegas which was just two weeks ago. Loved the area.

I'm impressed that you replaced your batteries for $3.99. As I understand it Protime wants $350.00-but in all fairness I believe that also includes an upgrade.

Hey, do you think Marty was just trying to keep a cute little nurse at his house as long as he could and that is why it took so long? LOL (Marty-I am just teasing you).

What do you pay for supplies? I think I might look into eventually replacing my Protime if QAS doesn't come through for me. Do you know anything about the other models that are now being carried by QAS? I know one is from Johnson and Johnson but I have never heard anyone mention any other machine other than the Protime or the CoaguChek on this board.

Thanks for the lunch invite!

The Coaguchek S runs on 4 AA batteries. Also has an AC adapter but I have never used it.

Yep, batteries are inexpensive. Are you saying the Protime needs special batteries hence the $350 upgrade, Ouch.:(

We may be moving over to a Blue Cross PPO. Wondering if anyone has had luck with Coaguchek supply reimbursement?

Thanks

PS. As Janie stated, my Coaguchek training was about an hour.

Janie wrote, "I think if you look around on the net enough you'll find a couple of places that sell the CoaguChek....one even offers a discount! Don't know how 'concentrated' their market is tho.." I just checked Amazon, and found the following links to catalog pages:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...h=600&bottom-right-height=321&sterm=coaguchek

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...h=600&bottom-right-height=321&sterm=coaguchek

One of them has the standard Coaguchek price listed, the other has no price listed.

Underachieving student?

Underachieving student?

My trainer( and she was sort of cute) spent all one Sunday afternoon with me going over the book and trying numerous tests on both me and Alice. I was found to be somewhat uncoordinated( I should have known this from my golf game) and had trouble getting the drop of blood in the right amount on the test strip. This was finally solved by capillary tubes that suck up the drop of blood and then allow you to squirt it right on the spot.I always knew Gina, Janie, and Gisele were super smart and am not at all surprised it only took an hour to train them. The Roche trainers get $250 bucks if it takes one hour or all day. Janie we love San Antonio. I was once stationed at Lackland. We havn't been back since 1961. I bet there has been some change but the river walk should still be beautiful and if we get back we will take you out to lunch.:D

CoaguChek test strips...

CoaguChek test strips...

Gisele -- the strips are 6 bucks each and come in a box of 12.....$72.00

Now with all that moolah you and Marty are saving, ya'll just catch the next plane to Texas!:D

Oh boy Marty -- would you be surprised....1961, huh? It's a great place now to spend a Sunday afternoon sippin' those Margaritas and watching the tourists...

Hi Frank

Hi Frank

I got my Protime in June of last year. 2 months after my valve was replaced. I also have United Health Care. My Cardiologist wrote me a prescription because of where I live ( In Mountains of North Ga...an hour away from Labs and the fact that we travel a lot in our motorhome (Retired). I mailed the scrip to Protime and United Health Care approved in a FEW weeks...I also received video, ect. and a nurse called me....but you learn on your own quickly..Now, I can do mine in less than 10 minutes. Run hand under hot water for a minute while Protime is warming..prick finger. fill funnel..in and out..and you will get results in a few minutes. Never fill the prick and don't get a bruise....My Hubby has only re-charged battery 2 times in one year. He is doing it tonight because I told him about this thread. Said it was down to a 1/4.. Protime was around $2,000..Cuvettes are $12.00 each..but insurance pays 80%..Only have to call in every 4 weeks to clinical nurse at Cardiologist office..but test more when I feel like maybe I should:p :p I have not had to change my dosage in 10 months.:) Cardiologist loved it when I showed him my chart a few weeks ago at my first year checkup... LOVE my Protime..:) Bonnie

I could save a fortune

I could save a fortune

So far this year I would have saved $246.00! Well, what I meant to say is BCBS would have saved $246.00.

I e-mailed Michelle at QAS with my info regarding my Protime issues and I haven't heard from her yet. I don't know what QAS will do for me regarding my problem with my Protime. The Coagucheck looks smaller and it looks like it uses a lot less blood too.

Hopefully I will hear from QAS next week as I am curious to see what they recommend.

Hi Bonnie!

Hi Bonnie!

I have always had a problem with my Protime. When I checked my machine against the lab I found that the higher my INR the wider the discrepency. QAS didn't seem to think it was any big deal and assured me that their machine was accurate. All though it didn't settle that well with me, I guess I went along with it as it certainly is a lot more convenient than running to the lab.

So a few weeks ago I needed a CBC and my doc asked me to test against the lab saying that I should still periodically do that. My Protime got a 3.3 while the lab got a 5.21. That just is too much of a variance for me. Come to find out that Rain has the very same problem. QAS is trying to resolve it with her with a replacement or upgrade, but I am still waiting to hear from them. Michelle from QAS requested my info which I sent to her, but she hasn't called me yet.

I will keep you all posted in what happens. You can find the thread I think in small talk started by Rain.

I know there are many happy users out there, but I would feel a lot better if my lab and machine were a bit closer. Especially as my INR's are usually all over the place, I need to know that my machine is giving me an accurate reading.

Latest posts

Back