Pulmonary Valved conduit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star007

I am going to try asking again, as I would really, really like to meet someone who has a pulmonary conduit with a tissue valve, or knows of someone who has a pulmonary conduit with a tissue valve, that has lasted a long time. Mine is now 18 years old. My parents were told it would last 12 to 15 years, but for some strange reason, I haven't required another surgery yet. Does anyone know anyone who has had a pulmonary conduit with a tissue valve last longer than 18 years? I also have dextrocardia, situs inversus, LV to PA conduit, ASD, VSD, pulmonary atresia.

Thanks

p.s. If anyone knows how to contact lynlw, could you please let me know? I have seen many of her previous posts about her son Justin, and I was wondering how he is doing.

I know we've spoken, but I don't think I've given you much information about my conduit. While my aortic valve was severely leaking, my pulmonary conduit, which contained a pulmonary homograft was only mildly leaking and not severely (And this was after 15 years). I believe this has something to do with the pressure the pulmonary valve goes through, compared to the aortic valve which makes them last longer.

They did decide to replace my LV to PA conduit, whilst they were replacing my aortic valve and root. (The conduit was doing well but was put in when I was 8, so they felt since they were in there, they would replace that too, and do away with the leaking.

I spoke with the surgeon, and they believe that when the time comes down the line, they find the LV to PA conduit calcifies near the base where the valve is, so they'll be able to thread in a new valve. I asked if this would be possible only once, and he said it can be done more than once :).

They can even use a clipping procedure on the pulmonary valve, less invasively to stop the regurgitation, and that's possible right now; imagine what they could do in 15-25 years down the line!

Back