Protime vs Lab Draw Experiment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason why my Protime reading and doc's Protime reading were different has been discovered. After I received new 5 channel cuvettes and use them instead of 3 channel cuvettes I was using previously my result was exactly matching to doc?s results.

3 channel vs. 5 channel

3 channel vs. 5 channel

Hi Igor:

I have not checked with QAS, so does this mean that an unidentified ProTime device (Mine just says ProTime on startup) could be used with either cuvette? I received the ProTime 3 cuvettes and my initial test (home vs lab) produced excellent results.

Greg T

Time between tests

Time between tests

Anyone:

The other morning (31-Jul-2002 @8:00) I had my INR checked by a lab(INR=1.9). Later tha day(6:00pm) I checked my self (INR=2.7). My question is: Could there be this much variation in that amount of time? I did not consume any Vit. K foods in between. I did go to the gym for my usual 45 min. before the home test. The 2.7 is in range but my card. got the 1.9 reading from the lab.

Thanks.

Greg,

I would try to test with your ProTime within at least 20-30 minutes after you tested in the doc lab. What do they use for testing in your doc lab? Also I would suspect the INR should decrease close to the end of the day if you are taking it regularly at night.
Here is what happened the other day.
I did a test with my ProTime in my doc office twice the just 5 minutes after they tested INR with their ProTime:
doc ProTime - 3.2
my ProTime (1 st time) - 2.3
my ProTime (2 nd time) - 3.1

I could not explain (even after I spent around one hour with ProTime tech support) that my ProTime gave me two different results within just a couple of minutes.

Prior to this (about a month ago) I was testing ProTime cuvettes against ProTime 3 cuvettes and had consistent difference of 0.5 higher when using ProTime 3. During the last two weeks the difference started to be very inconsistent - +/- 0.1 ? 03
Again, how to explain this?

How to explain this?

How to explain this?

Greg:
I know how frustrating comparing machines and tests can be. My husband did this for 5 months! He once did 4 tests in a row on 2 machines and got 4 different INRs. I think it's called test variability. I think it was Hank who said that you have to have confidence in your machine....and, when you do, you will rely on the test results from your machine.

When I read this post, I went back to the top of this thread and read all of the responses. I had read them before as they came in. I found alot of useful information from the varied comments made by others, including the expert, Dr. Ansell. Once again, I feel that we made the right decision in keeping the ProTime. It is, however, still somewhat frustrating to realize that regardless of how the blood is tested, the results are not exact because of measurement error tolerance. Still, I'll take home testing over lab testing any day.
With kind regards,
Blanche

More New Information. The flood gates are opening. Aetna US Healthcareis now covering for select risk patients.This can be found on their Web Site. Coverage Policy Bulletin # 173. There are some requirements but our hard work is starting to pay off.

Hey Woody

Hey Woody

Just wondering...Any chance of insurance covering supplies even tho they orginally denied paying for ProTime ??? My insurance is Blue Shield of Ca. and they claimed it to not be a 'Medical necessity' for me. Anyone else with Blue Shield get approval???? Seems as if some changes have improved chances of coverage since I applied...Appreciate any info..

Zipper

Latest posts

Back