Pre surgery Tests

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will that be done at the time of surgery? I haven't seen the surgeon yet, but I was told by the cardiologist that it's time. I'm waiting now for the surgeon to go over my records then make me an appointment to see him.

All my cardiologist did was an echo. Once I saw the surge he ordered a CT scan, blood tests and chest x-ray. The CT scan was what revealed I had an aortic aneurysm that nobody found previously. Got that bit of news the morning of surgery when they were prepping me. Surgeon came in to tell me plans had changed and i was going to get some additional equipment.

At the time of referral to the cardiac surgeon for AVR (the time for surgery showed on echo) the only additional test I had was a CT angiogram. Then a week before surgery I had ECG, chest x-ray, various blood tests, and tests for MRSA bacteria.

I think if your surgeon wants you to have a cath, that it will be scheduled ahead of your surgery. If I understand correctly, interventional cardiologists can perform them.

Years ago, when this first started I came on this site. Then they were all talking about a Tee. Is this still being done. I was told back then that there was some damage to other valves. I sure want everything done right the first time.

Before I had my surgery, I think that one of the most important tests for the hospital and surgical staff was the one to determine that my insurance covered the costs of the hospitalization and surgery.

Twobike - I am just home from a pacemaker lead extraction/replacement with a new pacemaker as well, and the pre-op routine was the same as it was for my valve replacement 5 1/2 years ago. I had an echo, an ECG (electro-cardiogram), chest X-ray, CT scan of my chest, angiogram and some blood tests. They did all this just so that they would be prepared, no matter what happened while I was on the table.

The only test, of this whole battery, that gave me any anxiety, was the angiogram (heart catheterization). I had some rather bad experiences my first time, so I made sure I told the entire team the second time of my fears. They understood, and took perfect care of me. Just tell your team what fears you may have, and they know how to make it a non-problem.

I know it seems like they do a lot of testing, some of it rather invasive, but I have come to the conclusion that this is all for the better. They get to do their jobs, with few to no surprises. Makes it better for everyone.

I spent the whole day at the hospital. Had blood work, EKG, coritid duplex, ct of chest, abdomenl and pelvis. When it was time to see the doctor I expected to be told I needed open heart surgery. He did say that, but then added the I was a good candidate for a TAVR. They are getting ready to do a trial on patients over 65 in the low risk. Until now I think it has only been high risk patients that couldn't take open heart surgery. Thing is they are following both open heart and TAVR, so I won't know which I'm getting right now. Kind of a lottery drawing. They did ask if I have had a heart cath, so I expect that to be my next test. All this starts in one or two months.

I'll bet that was a bit of a surprising outcome. Either one would be a solution. Are you ok with knowing it could go either way?

Right now I am. They would have to let me know at least a few weeks before hand so I'm ready for either. Only two choices is saying for sure I want the Open Heart or being in the trial where I have a 50/50 chance of getting the TAVR. The valve is an Edwards Sapien 3. Three leaflets made from cow heart.

Sounds like you are on the road. Yeah, it's good you'll have a heads up so you can prepare things at home, if it turns out to be open heart.

Had the heart cath Wednesday. Everything went well. No blockage. The heart team meets Monday to decide on the candidates. I have met two of the doctors now. I'm hoping to find out next week and get a surgery date set up.

Latest posts

Back