Pre-Surgery recommendations by one who has been there

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LA_Cruiser

Take to the hospital:

0) THE LIST of ALL THE REASONS you 'have to live for,' that your subconscience can keep reminding you during your operation so that you'll PUT UP THE GREATEST FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE for survival!

The team of doctors and nurses put their greatest effort into this challenge, will you do the same, --put your part?

List them in accordane to importance/priority. Read the list at least 10,000 times!

Don't forget to include a summary of YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE!

If you DON'T have a purpose or a weak/unimportant one and would like to make it 'anyways,' FIND a 'cause' to join before D-Day (Getting our leaders off their butt and demand that they fight this 'war on drugs' AS IF THEY R-E-A-L-L-Y MEANT IT!)

1) A 'pocket' recorder

2) A lock (with keys of course:)

3) Your favorite 'pass-time' items (no, your playboy magazines should be left at home:-(

4) 'Pirate eye' patches (those dark 'blinds' so you can sleep comfortably during the day or while the lights are on)

5) Ear plugs (I almost had a third anxiety attack due to complaining/cry-baby 'roommates,' thank God I ONLY had two!, the third one, that I was lucky to avoid with mental concentration and putting my 'spirit-part' to keep my mind and body on safe mode)

6) Your laptop

7) Favorite pictures

8) Nail clippers

9) Your Cinderella Slippers

10) Your pink 'Cowboy-inscripted' panty hoses (I wish I were kidding, If you don't take me up on this one you'll be a sorry soul when you get to 'intensive care' and have to use whatever color and commercial company & logo they throw at you.

I looked like a 'billboard' with the ones I got, some 'Tyco' company with logo at al:-(

NOTE: I'll 'update' this post in accordance to the things that I remember I missed in pre-op. As you can see below, this great board automatically registers updates. This list is anything but complete.

Bon Voyage (or how do you spell that Greek saying?:)

God Bless and GET PREPARED, PSYCHE YOURSELF "UP"

>>> (Courtesy of Dictionary.com)

To put into the right psychological frame of mind: The coach psyched the team before the game.

To excite emotionally: The children were psyched to see the circus.

To undermine the confidence of by psychological means; intimidate: ?Depending on whose personality is stronger, one can more easily psych the other? (Harold C. Schonberg).

To analyze, solve, or comprehend.

To anticipate or guess the intentions of: ?Most others could never approach [his] ability... to psyche out the opposition's thinking so consistently? (Steven Brill).

Informal. To analyze and treat by psychoanalysis.

The spirit or soul.

Psychiatry. The mind functioning as the center of thought, emotion, and behavior and consciously or unconsciously adjusting or mediating the body's responses to the social and physical environment. --(Courtesy of Dictionary.com)

My recommendations:

1) Live 'one-second-at-a-time,' forget about the last second and don't worry about the next one to come, --you'll deal with it when you get there and you certainly can't do anything about the last one, it's gone, --for ever.

CONCENTRATE ON THE PRESENT AND WORK WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT NOT WITH WHAT WE COULD'VE HAD OR WHAT WE THINK WE SHOULD HAVE OR DESERVE.

2) Relax to the maximum of your abilities. This is a time for surgery preparation not to try to deal with business deals or other concerns that are out of your reach/control.

3) Be polite to 'everybody' even the ones that ignore you (staff et al) and seem to want to give you a hard time (I have a little story on this one but then that's the subject on page two).

4) This is not the time to dwell on negative thoughts or negative conversation. Keep away from negative individuals / complainers
/ cry-babies et al. (family / friends / visitors: KEEP YOUR 'TRASH' IN Y-O-U-R TRASH BIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, DO NOT BRING IT BEFORE A VULNERABLE PATIENT!)

"...........................to be continued on page 2"

Last edited:
Hey, Marco, nice to see you helping out others so quickly after your own ordeal!:D

I can't wait to read your post-op advice!

Latest posts

Back