Pre-op day ..what happens?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Okay folks ..still going with the flow here so far ..I have a tentative date from the Hospital for a pre op day Sept 3rd and Op date Sept 10th ...
So what I want is full details as to what a pre op day is ...Please ,please ?
Thanks folks I knew I could rely on you all :)
Scottie
ps ..do I take my Hubby with me to a pre op day ..or go myself ?

Pre-op Scottish Style

Pre-op Scottish Style

Hi Scottie

Glad things are now happening for you. This is the hardest part. Waiting and worrying. I only had a week to wait when I got my date for my op with the pre-op a couple of days before. Anyway here's pre-op Scottish style.

First I had a chest x-ray and also a full mouth x-ray. Then I went up to the Ward which I would be in. Spoke with the staff nurse who took personal details etc, blood pressure, nose swabs, temperature from ear, measured me for the elastic stockings, explained procedure etc. Took weight, height, urine sample.

Then the Doctor came and took blood tests, went over personal details and op procedure again and had me sign consent form. I asked for it to be documented on the form that I wanted a pig valve.

Then met the Surgeon again who explained everything and still tried to push the mechanical valve. I said again I wanted a pig valve and he was happy to agree.

Then met the Physiotherapist who explained the breathing exercises that I would have to do after the op to remove phlegm from lungs. Also how to cough and explained that I would be walking a.s.a.p. after the op.

I also met the Anaesthetist who explained what his job was during the op.

The Cardiac Sister then came along to explain that they are doing research into what causes blood clots with mechanical valves and if some people are more likely to suffer than others. Notes I am having a pig valve but would still like me to help with their research. They are looking for valve patients who can give blood samples before and after op to test. First appointment would be when I am called back to see surgeon. There will be two more after this if I am able to come for the appointments. This is voluntary but I was happy to help. I've since found out that the Sister has been more helpful than anyone. She is happy to spend time with you and she has answered all my questions which the Surgeon, Cardiologist etc are not happy to do as they don't expect patients to ask any questions. We're supposed to be happy with what they do. What's more annoying is that if my partner asks anything then they politely answer but they are not happy with all these questions especially if it's not the patient.

Anyway Scottie I think that's about it and yes do take hubby along. I wouldn't have managed without mine. It's so much easier when you have someone with you. They are quite happy if you bring someone along and I find that you are so wound up that you don't remember everything they tell you so It's good to have someone else who will remember. Do you know what your op actually entails and how long you will be in hospital for? Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks Peachy

Thanks Peachy

thanks Peachy ...that doesn't sound too bad ..although I don't like the sound of signing the form before my last questions to the Surgeon ..(oh dear I think I'm going to be one of those difficult patients ) ..I've been to the dentist here ...and had the all clear from her ..so that should be okay ...just the next four weeks to get through ...thanks again
Scottie

Scottie,

You may want to *write down* all of your questions for the surgeon and either mail, fax, or e-mail them to his office so that he can formulate his answers. Then either have him call you or arrange for an office visit to provide the answers. My surgeon's office told me he would call me but he never did so I arranged an office visit and I got the distinct impression he felt like I was wasting his precious time with my trival questions. I guess surgeons expect you to just show up and let them do their thing, kind of like taking your car to the dealership for service.

'AL'

hi scottie!
great that the end is in sight, no?
i think i would take hubby along, as peachy said, especially because you may be a tad nervous and not remember certain things. also, writing the questions down.... great idea!
please keep us posted and wishing you all the best.
-sylvia

Hi Scottie,

Yes, absolutely do take your hubby along. I'm convinced that having my wife fully involved in the decision and information flow saved my life, quite literally.

Due to complications, she had to take on the docs and challenge their recommendations when I was unable to respond.

Latest posts

Back