pre-op anxiety

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the others. Don't even remember reading a magazine, book, or newspaper. Between napping, walking, breathing and being inspected/tested, even phone calls were brief and somewhat bothersome. You won't need a computer.

I doubt you will need a second recliner unless you just want another. I don't think you will care where you are when you nap and you do need to be walking, breathing and napping as principal activities during early recovery. The time really flew by as my recovery progressed.

I do recommend a note book or journal for keeping track of meds, temps, bp, heart rate, weight(these are things they will ask you to monitor) as well as who and when people came by or called and what the docs, nurses and caregivers said or did. This especially after you go home and want to stay on top of your recovery.

Mornin Bill - you are up early, too.

Good idea on the notebook. I kept a diary for awhile after surgery. Happened upon it one day and the things I had forgot, you wouldn't believe. After all, we are on drugs and those things tend to make your memory not work well. So the diary brought many things back and some I have shared here in VR.

Wow, what a long thread. I think that the others are right. I brought a book in, and never even cracked it. You concentration won't be on that for a while. Now during my LONG hospital stay I would have appreciated a book or a laptop, but not after my surgery. It was too short, and I was busy. If you really want another recliner go for it, but don't get it just for the surgery. I did fine without one. Unless you had a lot of money to spend, but I would save it up. Good luck, and it's not as bad as we all thought it would be! Just breath breath breath walk walk walk and sleep sleep sleep. Notice I put the breath part first? Just kidding. You'll do great!

laptop

laptop

Just had my TEE done this morning, and I wish I had brought my laptop so I could watch a movie while waiting to be released...

Well-

It sure sounds as if you did well during the procedure, if all you needed was a movie to watch. That's good, and I'm sure you're glad to have it over with.

Let us know what the findings are.

Take care,

Sound good, Swill

Sound good, Swill

Like Nancy said..let us know as soon as you know..We are family, too:D Bonnie

Long Threads and control freaks

Long Threads and control freaks

You're right Joy. Us control freaks are pretty good at picking problems that require a lot of work. Nice to know we're good for something. By the way, just found out (the hard way naturally) that antibiotics cause your INR to zoom upward. Why is that ? Simple answer. Antibiotics kill the bacteria in your colon that you need to convert green vegetables into vitamin K. No vitamin K and the INR Zooms. Got a dental appointment where you will need protection from infection ? Don't forget to check your INR with a Protime Test. I got a copy of the decision tree stuff that the coumadin labs use to modify your dosage. Its really pretty simple stuff. Even if you decide to administer your own dosage, however, I would strongly suggest you get double checked by your cardio, at least until he tells you that you are ready to solo.The piece I don't know yet, is how fast the bacteria grow back after antibiotics are stopped. See, I told you us control freaks are compulsive-gotta know the whole picture pr we go ballistic. Secret tip ----- If you know you are going to be on antibiotics for awhile and you have a big time urge for a huge spinach salad, now's the time baby ! Since your bacteria are gone and your INR is undoubtedly soaring, enjoy that salad. Chris AKA old dog on a short leash.

Just read al the advice in this thread and found it really reassuring for my own setback. ("Disappointing news" in the post-surgery section). Even if the worst does come to the worst and I need surgery again, it won't be so bad.

Just to add my bit for Chris and Andrea: I was dreading the tube, but honestly it was fine. I wasn't aware of being on it until it was time for it to come out. I gagged very slightly when they "sucked me out" prior to removing the tube, but the removal itself was fine. The drainage tubes weren't pleasant coming out, - not painful 'cos they let me have plenty of entonox before hand, just a yucky sort of feeling. But it was over quick anyway, and I just saw it as another hurdle I had got over. The nurses told me how to breathe whenever a tube was to come out, and it really worked if you did what they said.

Warfarin (coumadin) has not been a trouble to me at all, and yet I was really unhappy about having to go on it. I have the regular blood tests, am careful about otc medications, eat sensibly ( don't really like alcohol much anyway, so that is no loss) and that's it. I generally don't think much about it at all.

I asked for sleeping medication for the 2 nights before my op. (They gave me temezepam.) Then the morning of the op, I had to shower at 6pm in the medicated gunge, and I had a premed of a couple of ativan. Different consultants gave different premeds. This worked fine for me, though, even though I had been a bit of a wuss about the whole thing.

Good luck, we are here for you.

Thank you for the insight Jane. I think the closer that I get to surgery (3 weeks two days), the more comfortable I am with everything. This site and everyones insight has helped me more than words can express.

Just an update to everyone, I got my tax refund back and am going to go buy a super duper recliner (as soon as I find one I like). I have taken the week before surgery off work so I will have time to do some spring cleaning and spend time with the kids before the big day.

It is amazing how knowledge really can help ease anxioties. I had a friend of mine at work who has severe asthma and has been intubated and in and out of hospitals alot explain his experiences as well. Even with any 'scary' details, it does help to know what to expect so you can handle it better if your experience turns out similar.

The bits of advice and knowledge I have received here are so very helpfull and my thanks, prayers and best wishes go out to you all :)

Latest posts

Back