Prayers requested

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hensylee said:
I was able to get to the end of the block, pull off and have my heart attack in peace.

Ann, I just had to chuckle at this description. I love how you say things. In my case, I was just to pooped to have the heart attack, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

twinmaker said:
Wise, just a thought and a question...is there any way your aunt could be transferred to a hospital in Louisville or Lexington? LINDA

That was a good question Linda. Actually, this morning we got the whole scoop on her condition. Her GP is out for the weekend, so another doc in that group is on call today. He told us that she will die either from the treatments she's received or from the cancer. We had believed that the cancer was curable. This doctor asked us "Who told you that?"; he says that this type of cancer is hard to cure and the treatments are so aggressive that the patients usually dies from the effects of the treatments. We believe that my aunt didn't tell us everything she knew about her condition. We are seeing more being done now to treat her burns and is now being heavily medicated to keep her comfortable. So, we are now in a different waiting game. Thanks for the question and concern. Lexington or Louisville would definitely be my choice; at this point it seems mute though.

Wise, I'm so sorry that things are at this point. As hard as it is, it's probably better to have a doctor be "upfront" about what is going on. I will continue to pray for your aunt to be comfortable, and I will pray for strength and peace for you and your family. LINDA

I will pray that she will survive her aggressive treatments and that the cancer will be history. Just make sure the docs do not give up on treating her.

Wise, have you considered Hospice care? They are a wonderful organization and care for those at home and in the hospital. We have had two recent experiences with them with my father-in-law in March and an Uncle of Dick's last week. You have our prayers and best wishes.

Wise,
I am so sorry to hear this news but at least you now know what is happening. It sounds like your aunt just wanted to keep some things to herself as I will hope she knew how serious her condition is. If not, there are other issues to deal with.
Please take care and let us know how we can help.

The newest doctor involved, as of yesterday, has really stepped up my aunt's care, thus making her more comfortable. They're putting something on her legs that pumps up (to prevent blood clots?). They're using an ointment they say is really good for the burns. Although her condition isn't improving, she's not in as much pain and the hospital is being more attentive. My mother is holding up well, but she's pretty tired but wants to be at the hospital a lot. Atleast she's going home to sleep.

We have considered hospice, that is if she gets out of the hospital. They are beyond wonderful, having seen them in action in 2000 when Cindy lost her dad to lung cancer.

I read through this and it's like reliving it with my mother. I agree that she probably wanted to keep things to herself. Mine was great at hiding it. I had no idea she was so sick until nearly the end. Prayers go on for her and the family.

Ross said:
I had no idea she was so sick until nearly the end.

This is what happened here too. Just in the last few days it is apparent she's near death; two weeks ago that wasn't even a thought. They do so want to spare us grief being the good souls they are. Sorry you lost your mom in this way.

Wise,
I'm not sure if it is the case in all areas, but in my Uncle's case, Hospice came into the hospital. Their wonderful services are available for hospital care as well as home care.

Phyllis said:
Wise,
I'm not sure if it is the case in all areas, but in my Uncle's case, Hospice came into the hospital. Their wonderful services are available for hospital care as well as home care.

Oh really!! I'm going to inquire about this. Maybe it would cut down on a lot of expense. They pay for meds don't they?

I brought mom home since this is where she wanted to be and lived with her for her last few weeks. Toward the end, which happened virtually overnight, I kid you not, I sent her to the hospice center. She was in so much pain, pneumonia setting up in her lungs and there was nothing I could for her at all. They wouldn't let me give her any injections or the like, so that was the best move to make, though it is not what she wanted. 4 days later, it was over.

Wise said:
Oh really!! I'm going to inquire about this. Maybe it would cut down on a lot of expense. They pay for meds don't they?
Wise, I'm not sure what the payment situation is, but they have wonderful coordinators who will explain it all and I think one of their greatest contributions is the support and care they give to the family as well. It could be a big help to your mother.

Phyllis said:
I think one of their greatest contributions is the support and care they give to the family as well. It could be a big help to your mother.

A point well taken. I hope didn't sound as if money were the biggest concern; it's last on the list. Thanks for your help.

Wise,
Hospice will go anywhere they are needed. When my mom was dying, they came to the nursing home. They basically made sure she had EVERYTHING necessary to make her passing comfortable and welcome. That varied from pain med supervision to simply sitting with her to combing her hair. These people are angels on this earth. No matter how much a family loves someone, they cannot do it all or even know what all is needed. That is where hospice comes in.
You should be able to get them involved right away.

I'm so sorry to hear your aunt's difficult situation. Prayers for all of you continue.

Hospice took care of my dear Joe for six months. They became part of the family during that time. Joe was still in pretty good shape when they came and he enjoyed them. They have all you need - except meds (we paid for Joe's and I picked them up at the pharmacy here in town). They are the contact with the patient's dr to rx the meds and the dr generally accepts all their recommendations and requests. They had a nurse, counselor, aide (for making bed, bathing, general care), minister is available, other areas covered, too - I just don't recall them all. They were available 24/7 and the last few days of his life, when I was so worn out after a year of sitting beside Joe, they brought people in to sit with him to the end, while I was sleeping in the next room, available to him, too. And afterward there is support for a year for any family member. I went for a six weeks grief counseling group session. Hospice is everywhere, originally begun in England. They take everybody, insurance or not, but if there is insurance, they do take that. If none, then their care is free of charge. We never even saw a bill or anything from/to the insurance companies. The only thing that you can't do anymore once Hospice enters the picture is go to the hospital or doctor, unless approved by Hospice. Hospice's purpose is to allow death to come in the natural way, in comfort, peace, dignity and with loved ones - they will explain it all to you. They will come to see you, explain it all, then you decide if it's for your family.

Thinking of you all.

Wise said:
Oh really!! I'm going to inquire about this.

I hope you do, Wise.

In late November/early December last year, my Mom and Aunt looked into getting Hospice care for Gramps (their Dad) ... and they had no problem coming to the assisted living facility where he lived. Ironically, they were supposed to start Monday, December 12 ... but, Gramps died on Friday, December 9.

Thoughts/prayers continuing for you.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html
"There's just too much that time cannot erase " ... Evanescence ... 'My Immortal'

Latest posts

Back