Post Surgical Anger and Depression Problems...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear how God answered our fervent prayers.

Now on your next movie nights you have 2 more great family films to see that should make you smile and your kids laugh. Wall.E and Kit Kittridge.

....I want to be a good husband for Laura, but instead I have let everything slide. For the first time in several years I haven't done a thing about income taxes.... Even garbage... was badly neglected this week.... Forget the decluttering....

I can't even provide for my family, and probably never will be able to do so again. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry and I absolutely detest chemistry and all it stands for and would rather be homeless and starving than work in a lab ever again.

There is no support from my family, except a little from my father and he's pretty sick now, and I've alienated all of my friends so I can't call on them, nor can I rely on my church as they are all concerned with one another, and not weirdos like me. I'm so lonely, and I'm falling apart, but not even counseling nor antidepressants (bupropion) have helped....

Of course I'm sick of my stupid heart's idea of a normal heart rate (90-100 bpm). I'm not running around 24/7, nor am I small child. It should be 60 like Laura's is when I'm resting--she's 46 and so am I and I'm more physically active, so my rate should be slower than hers not faster....

[I should] have a nice auction for the clutter, then a celebratory bonfire to burn up the rest, and pave the driveway with my stupid, useless rocks and opals. Then sell the house with its colorful driveway and leave this uncouth backward part of rural Idaho behind forever with its rapidly fading memories of me. Chris

Chris --

Some thoughts about the phrases from your post that I have selectively quoted above:

1. If you ask Laura what makes you a good husband -- for example, what she would miss if you were gone -- I'll bet she never mentions doing the taxes and taking out the garbage. A major life event can shake up the everyday dynamics of your family, and that's okay; families evolve that way. My husband and I have traded a lot of jobs over the years.

2. This might be a good point in your life to make a major career change, and you'll be surprised by how many people will NOT be surprised that your surgery has prompted it. Did you detest chemistry before surgery? It's depressing to go struggle through a major life-threatening problem and then be faced with the same old crap -- this was the experience of my sister-in-law, who said bye-bye to her job and is much better for it. I'm personally reinventing my business during my sabbatical.

3. I'm pretty sure your church friends don't think you're a weirdo. There are some real wackos in the world, and churches see all of them because they eventually turn to churches for help. Your church friends probably think of you as "a guy who is having a rough time."

4. What I hate about most modern counseling is that it seems like it is ALWAYS accompanied by drugs. Whatever happened to psychotherapy? Someone else mentioned the problem of depression and suicidal thoughts CAUSED by psychiatric drugs. This is truly a concern. I highly recommend you find a counselor who is concerned with keeping your life on track through intellectual activities, emotional exercises, diet, exercise and other non-invasive techniques.

5. Are you having trouble doing the physical things you want to do, or are you just comparing your heart rate to some chart? Because as long as you are not in medical danger, who cares what the numbers are if you are feeling good?

6. Obviously I am saying to stay with your family, but maybe the celebratory bonfire is a good idea if you want to reinvent your life.

Just a little update, folks...

So far the day has been "mostly sunny with a few scattered thundershowers". Chris had to lie down, but it is NOT his heart. I actually got called out for a C-Section at 6 AM and so he had to assist with getting the kids ready for the parade. He doesn't usually get up that early. It's also hot and sunny, and we had to park way out in the toolies and hike to the park. We had some barbecued ribs for lunch, and the kids ate their usual cheeseburger/hot dog fare. My daughter also ate one of the biggest kosher pickles I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot, considering that I lived with 2 roommates in Skokie during medical school, and we were the only non-Jewish people for several blocks. The kids also caught a fish each during the fish scramble; instead of turning the fish in for a prize, the fish IS the prize. Looks like at least 1 rainbow and one steelhead/rainbow cross. All this after the parade, which I found out had almost 150 entries.

No one should feel embarrassed about spilling their guts-especially in this forum. I was very glad to see people as open as they have been with their prayers and problems. I know that many of you thought that Chris may have been suicidal, and I probably would have thought the same way if I didn't know him. He would never do it because of his Christian beliefs. However, depressed people suffer from 10 times the number of heart attacks that normal people have. Chris and I were having our share of problems before the OHS, and he feels that he literally almost died from a broken heart. He had asked God to put him out of his misery-either for me to leave him so he could go off somewhere by himself and ultimately die of neglect, or for me to die(!) so he could give the kids to my sister and become a hermit, or that he would die so he could go and be with the Great Creator. Well, God answers prayers, all right, and he almost got his prayer answered directly. As a matter of fact, Chris almost decided to opt out while in the ICU waiting for transfer. When he got worse and they had to intubate him for transport, he refused at first. It certainly was the easy way out for him; he would have fallen asleep and never awakened, and would have been dead in a few hours to maybe a few days. I'll let him tell you sometime about why he changed his mind. In any case, he did change his mind, and once he decided he wanted to live, he fought the good fight. The paramedics told me that the receiving doctor kept questioning their reports, because his pulmonary capillary wedge pressure was the same as his blood pressure (pressure in lungs nearly equal to his blood pressure, when usually 10 times lower). Chris was a model patient in the hospital, and did very well, recovering more quickly than expected.

Well, I am pretty tired myself. Thanks to all who PM'd and responded. We'll get back to you all later, and answer more individually.

Happy 4th of July in Idaho,
-Laura

Sounds like you had an almost normal holiday well, except for having to get up at 6AM to take care of a C-section.

I'm glad to hear that you had some fun and are making the most of it.

Happy 4th!

Good News Chris, glad your feeling a bit better. I did'nt post earlier because you were on my heart to just pray at that time. You've got a great family and they love and care for you deeply. I will continue to pray for you and my prayer is that the evil one leaves and God's love will be shown to you daily. If you get a chance you and Laura read Psalm 121 & Psalm 139. These two chapters really touched my husbands and my heart when I was going through my OHS and lung surgery. I hope and pray they will give you and Laura what you need at this time. God bless dear one!!!! Crystal

Hey Chris and Laura,

I'm so glad to hear the more positive posts today. It still may be a long road ahead but good on you for having the courage to reach out to others...especially to the VR family.
You're in our prayers.

And Janet...I cried too, when I read your post. You would have to be one of the most courageous women I've 'met'. Thanks for sharing your inmost thoughts...you are amazing. I'm holding you tight in my prayers too. Thank you for helping and reaching out to others even though you have your own huge share of battles. I'd love to meet you one day...shame I live in Australia!

Hugs for all,

Yolanda

Thanks everyone for the very sincerely appreciated encouragement and compassion. I guess you have to have really been there to appreciate and understand the pain I went through and continue to do so. However, each day has been different for me. Today, while I was temperamental, I still fulfilled the promise to my children to take them to a movie, Kung Fu Panda. It was a good movie and we enjoyed our time together, then I went nearly ballistic when I got to Kmart and found my wallet was missing. I drove back to the theater, praying under my breath that it would be undisturbed and there. It was; it had fallen unnoticed out of my back pocket. I made sure to button my pocket this time.

Then the kids went to Tae Kwan Do, and I watched them have fun and learn a few new moves (kids both scheduled for possible belt advancement examinations next week). Then we bought fireworks and went home. Laura brought home some Mexican takeout from a new restaurant owned by a friend--good food. We had some great laughs with an old MASH episode where Pierce and Trapper did the Marx brothers skit with the Pierce being Groucho and Trapper being Harpo (of course blowing a duck call "quack!"). Great laughs. Reset my mood a bit.

To make a long story short, I am planning on continuing in the land of the living (not just passively, either!). Yes, I am still depressed and angry, but it was less intense today. I will try to respond to some of the individual things that people said here that really hit home with me, and wish to extend a general THANK YOU!! for all of the rest of your sincere and heart-felt concern and sympathy. I guess I'd also like to say that God must have been attentively listening to those of you who were praying because I did do better, even though my children, especially my son, were naughty and defiant this evening--and I didn't blow my stack. I just had to lay down some firm, but reasonable discipline (such as 10 minute time out--only to begin when KC stopped talking and making noise--so it really took 30), but no raging shouting or screaming. So even in the matter of the kids, things were better even when they were behaving worse than yesterday.

Tomorrow we have plans to go to our annual 4th of July parade (with military jet flyover and precision skydiver landing by Master of Ceremonies stage), plus our own kids on the Clover School float wearing red/white/blue clothes. My wife and I will be sitting by my father in front of his clock shop in downtown Buhl, population 3800--the same as it was in 1910, two years after it was founded. We'll have a couple thousand people coming in from other cities in the Magic Valley (Twin Falls county and other nearby ones) to watch the parade. Then afterward we'll go to a large local park, where the local city pool is located, where we'll have food, fun booths, carnival, live music, fire hose competition (fire hoses shooting at a suspended barrel), trout scramble (kids catching trout by hand), and lots of other fun stuff. Then a public fireworks display and about $250 of private fireworks for at home. Laura says for me to admit I'm a pyro at heart! :)

To summarize, yes I'm battling depression, but I'm not letting it stop me from at least trying to have some fun. As for the suicide option--it's never been a consideration nor do I believe will it ever be one. Thanks, though for your vehement admonitions to seek medical and psychiatric help. I'll contact someone this Monday. Meanwhile, my wife's experience as a Family Practice Physician would help her see any danger signs in me and could intervene with professional support if she thought it necessary (including our neighbor EMT and the country sheriff if the need should arise). Don't worry about me. I'm in excellent hands, both from the human and spiritual side of things. Thanks, and I'll keep people posted here about what happens, even if things go downhill again. Yes, continue to lift us up in prayer, not just me, but Laura and the kids, too. They need healing, too, from all of this.

Looking Up a Bit in Idaho,

Chris

Chris,

Many people suffer from depression. After a 3 month successful recovery from my Ross Procedure I started having sternum problems just as I was ready to go back to work. My employer wouldn't let me come back until my surgeon/cardio/GP (whoever would ok it) cleared me to work with no lifting restrictions under 50 pounds. The period between then and the time I finally had my sternum wires removed is when my depression started in earnest. When my sternum was repaired and I was ready to go back to work my job was not waiting for me. I had also been on opiate pain killers almost continuously from my surgery in March until my surgery to repair my sternum in October. I also had saved quite a bit of money because I traveled 80% at the job I had worked at...I was making a lot of money and never had time to spend it. Well I fell into a DEEP clinical depression...completely isolated myself...bought opiate pain killers off of the internet...left the apartment once a week to buy groceries...at times would stay up for 36-48 hours and then sleep for 18-24 hours at a time...ate nothing but frozen dinners...and I could go on and on about how screwed up I was.

My point is that there are more of us than you think that have gone through the pain that you went through and are still going through. But only you can decide when you are so miserable that you will seek help for it. It took me about a year to seek help to get off of the pain killers and about two years to seek help for my clinical depression. And by seeking help for my clinical depression I mean receiving counceling AND seeing a psychiatrist regularly to regulate my meds until we found a combination that worked for me.

I feel your pain Chris, but none of us on this forum can do anything to help you. You have received lots of encouragement and support from the very caring members from this site...but in all honesty that is all irrelevant to the situation you are facing now, which is extremely important. YOU have to decide whether or not to take the first step towards battling the depression that is making you miserable. One of the insidious symptoms of depression is that you actually become comfortable with it even though you are miserable. It may seem easier to just continue wallowing in self-pity and and feeling helpless than it would be to actually pick your ass up off of the ground and go and seek help. That's because when you are seriously depressed the thought of even calling someone for help and actually showing up for the appointment seems like a monumental task.

The bottom line Chris is that family, friends, and even this forum can encourage you, support you, and recommend you seek help...but the reality is that only you can help yourself. It's a choice you have to make...and if you make the choice to get help then the encouragement and support from others becomes much more meaningful.

Do it Chris...I did...and I didn't have insurance because I had used up my COBRA benefits without doing anything about it. When I finally admitted to myself that I needed help I went to our county's mental health center. Because I was unemployed I didn't have to pay anything. I saw a counselor and a psychiatrist regularly. For the last year I've only been seeing the pyschiatrist who basically is just regulating my meds. I owe this man a lot. We worked for months trying to find the right combination of meds to stabilize my depression. Once we were on the right track he has been "fine tuning it" to the point that I'm only on two meds regularly and one med as needed. I've worked at the same company for over a year and a half now and I'm pretty content with my life. I still feel like I have a ways to go, but when I honestly look back on the past my depression probably started when I got divorced over a decade ago...it just took endocarditis, valve surgery, and sternum complications to make it acute.

I know...long post. But I want you to realize that you are NOT the only one out there that has been through the "pain" you are going through now. That's just a cop out...the old "no one understands what I'm going through" excuse. I do understand what you are going through...and if you're smart you WON'T wait as long as I did to do something about it.

BTW...I'm glad the last couple of days have been better for you. If this trend continues then maybe you were just suffering from situational depression which almost everyone experiences from time to time. But if you end up finding yourself with the same feelings that you had a couple of days ago then I really hope you will heed what I wrote in my post. People without depression can have days where they feel depressed...and people with depression can have days where they don't feel depressed. I truely hope that you are/were just going through a temporary period where circumstances got you down and you will bounce back stronger than ever!

Another Improved Day...

Another Improved Day...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the continued support and advise. I wanted to clarify something. I am in regular counseling, once every two weeks with a therapist who has known me for over eight years. I resumed seeing her after I was post-surgery enough to resume driving back in January (first appointment in February). She knows about cardiac depression, but the episode occurred about a day after our regular meeting.

Yes, I think it could have been a situational depression, as I had spoken to a formerly close friend that day and found that despite the changes in our relationship that had made our contacts much less frequent and more superficial, I was reminded of the better days and found myself mourning the loss of when things had been different. Just speaking to him online had been enough to leave me quite upset and depressed. However, by the next day I was over being so upset.

I admit that the mild to moderate clinical depression has been an issue for quite a while, but the upset made it a lot worse for a period of time. I will be talking to my regular counselor about this at our next meeting. I'll try to ask for an early meeting. Also speak to my medication managing psychiatrist about adjusting or trying a new combination of medications.

Usually when I am very severely depressed I eat a lot more and gain weight. Instead, I have been steadily losing weight at a healthy rate. Shortly after the pericardial effusion, I was a bit over 205 lbs. Most recently I weighed 189 lbs., and am eating healthy foods, and keeping junk food to low portions (a bag of corn chips, for instance, will typically last me a week, and a 4lbs. jar of Jelly Belly 49 flavors jelly beans will last 2-3 months--and I share with my wife and kids, too).

My point is that I'm depressed, but only enough to reduce my motivation to do a lot of stuff, not to the point where I wish to do absolutely nothing. I like playing with the opals (no I am not a professional jewelry person--just a hobby rockhound). As for the chemistry stuff, I already didn't like it as far back as 1993 while I was a Post-Doc. The teaching options are limited here, and I was fired from the local community college due mostly to pressure from Affirmative Action (I was the lowest White Male in a department of all white males--and the school was threatened with loss of accreditation--unless they addressed the "lack of ethnic diversity" in the chemistry department). They, of course, to cover their rears, said my teaching evaluations were 'abysmal' when in fact I was rated excellent in lab teaching and fair to good in lecture. Of course I could not prove it, as I did not have access to my teaching evaluations. Of course I became depressed at the time, so I did not pursue legal action against the college. I did work briefly at University of Alaska, Anchorage for a year, but moved back to Idaho by 1998, and have lived here since. My science teaching has been on hold for a while, but I plan on volunteer teaching (maybe someday for pay?) at the local Lutheran school that my children attend as a sort of adjunct science teacher. I would come in as needed to teach or demonstrate scientific principles. I'd also make myself available to bring my 16" telescope for school astronomy nights, or bring in my rocks, petrified wood, and opals for education about rock collecting. Maybe even help with a science fair as a judge and/or a consultant for students. Even a chemistry magic show isn't out of the question. I don't totally 'detest' chemistry--just the politics and warped priorities surrounding its current role in society. If anyone is interested in why, I made an extensive reply to a post about the evils of the pharmaceutical industry, and what compromises many of them force their research chemists make in their bosses' pursuit of the almighty buck. The science itself is still interesting to me--I just don't see a role for a person of my particular ethics and morals in the current professions available to synthetic inorganic chemists like me.

So here I am, with a wife and kids who dearly love me, recovering from OHS, and moving on with life as much as God's grace allows. I won't deny that it's difficult to get up every day, and that I'd rather just sleep a whole lot longer, but I'm also engaged enough in life to know that each day has meaning and that it's my responsibility to seek that meaning in regular daily activity. I'm frustrated by the lack of clear answers--again that's depressing--but I'm getting a little hint here and there. That sparks curiosity--what if THIS is the way??? Who knows, perhaps my life's passion will make itself crystal clear this week, or a decade may pass before I know for sure even a part of it.

Very quick summary: Kids drove an ATV 4-wheeler today in the mountains northeast of Mountain Home, ID while a family friend rode along for safety. Jane, who is still 4 until September 2nd, actually drove the 4-wheeler really well (full-sized 240 cc 2wd version) and impressed Mark who rode with her that she was so aggressive. KC, while he was thrilled to the point of laughing and whooping in joy, was a bit more cautious, but he, too, was excellent for a 7-year-old and mastered steering almost instantaneously. I tried, and I was pretty slow since I had never driven an ATV before in my life. Jane and KC both drove the ATV again, this time with an 18 year old son of Mark (also named KC) and Jane really impressed the older KC with her rapid catching on to feel of the vehicle's operation, including correctly going into and out of deep depressions, and correctly jumping and landing the 4-wheeler (fervently hope not very high jumps!!!)--several times each maneuver. We don't own one of those things, but I'm sure that someday we will. Of course we'll glue helmets to their heads before we let them drive one, and get a low powered one (80 cc or so) until they're large enough and skilled enough to handle anything larger. It was a good day today--I hope the trend continues.

Great update - thanks.

When I have problems with depression, I make sure to mark the calendar when I have good days and why (a journal also works but takes more time). I have found that I often forget that there are more good days than bad when I am having a bad day. The calendar helps to keep my world in balance.

Luckily it has been awhile since I have had depression of any severity. It does go away but it takes work, love and dedication - all things you have it seems.

Wishing you continued success and all the best.

Chris,

I hope the string of good days continue and the bad ones fade away.

I tried to respond individually to a bunch of your comments, but I made a mistake while reviewing the thread. When I returned to this posting page all of my typing was gone. Suffice it to say I had gone through a lot of names, thanking and commenting on a lot said. Sorry, I guess I'll just have to do it again tomorrow. It's 12:45 am here and I'm too tired to do it all again.
The good vs bad days are currently balanced toward good, so life goes on. I'm a bit angry at myself for making the posting mistake, but I have to let it go. Those of you who posted scriptures for me to read, I'll look up Psalms 121, 139 and 125:8 and see if God speaks to me through them. Thanks again for all of your support and prayers. I'm not completely out of the woods just yet, but put it this way, the trees are much thinner and I believe there's a clearing ahead...

Chris

Hooray!

I found the post data after all! It's not complete, but here is most of it.:D

Thanks for the continued support. Life goes on.

Nancy-I regularly look at the Virgin Valley opals on eBay and drool with envy--but won't bid because there's something very special about stuff you ferret out of the earth for yourself as opposed to something that someone else found. Personally, my favorite opals are (currently--hope in the future this changes with bigger finds.) smaller and not as bright at many I've seen on eBay or held in my hand found by another friend. There's just something special about that first rainbow glimmer that you know you are the first person to see since God brought the right ingredients together in the Earth however many thousands or millions of years ago--it brings me a special joy every time it happens.

Marie and Mary--So far the good days this weekend and a few days prior have indeed outnumbered the bad--even the anger has faded a lot.

Allhigh--Don't worry about my knees--I pray in whatever position I happen to be in when I need to pray--God is just as there. Driving, walking, laying flat in bed, mowing, cleaning opals, etc.--it doesn't matter to me--I just do it. Though if I'm really upset or absolutely certain I need to focus all my attention on the Lord, on my knees I go for however long it takes to reach peace or at least a satisfactory completion of whatever prayer I needed to make. As for the knees, they're great, never hurt and have great flexibility. My poor wife, however, her right knee is a disaster area--it needs to be replaced, but she's worried about how long it will take her to convalesce--and if I can handle the additional responsibility of taking care of her as well as the kids and the rest of my current responsibilities. I'm almost certain that I can--now I need to convince her of that.

Allhigh--I'll read Psalm 136 as you recommend--I added this comment after I found the missing post.:)

Cthrock--I'll read Psalms 121 and 139.

zipper2--I'll read Psalm 145:8 as well. Your situation and trials sound worse than mine--my sister is still alive, though a bit back-slidden in her faith as of late, and both parents are alive, and I'm grateful for that.

Janet--and I thought I had it bad. I have a lot to be grateful for, and I'm sorry I was so dramatic. Yes, I admit that some of what I stated continues to be a problem, but when my mood is better I tend not to think of the end of my chemistry career as some horrible tragedy, though to some it might be. Your losses are far worse than mine, and I wish to pray for your situation, too. I'm glad your daughter is improving and still with you. I'm glad you've had the strength to go on, and to continue posting here.

As for the rest, thanks for your prayers, advice, and support. I'll contact my counselor and other relevant medical people ASAP. As things progress I'll try to update, even if another bad day or two takes place. I'm still depressed, but I'm trying to work around it. My kids and I waxed Laura's car this evening--the first time we've done it in 2 or more years. She's delighted.

Chris

Chris and Laura, still praying to the creator of mankind for you, the one who hears our prayers and speaks to us through his Word and even through his creation. Glad things are looking up!

Wise & Cindy

Chris,

That had to be hard for you to write. I take it as reaching out and that shows me you want to live! PLEASE go to the doctor and let them know your feelings. The doc can change your meds and help you out of this hole you are in. As others have said, I bet your friends and church members would help in any way they can. Be honest with your wife. Let her in with your feelings. As suggested, print off your thread and let her read it. Know that you won the first fight with OH. You CAN win this one too. Let go and let God. Let us know how you are.

Deb

Very quick post. I'm tired, but in good spirits relatively speaking. Got the bills done (mailed 23 envelopes today) and washed a bunch of eggs--will try to get to a regular customer tomorrow. Also mowed some more yard and had some fun with some opals--looking for ones with play-of-color amongst lots of non-precious ones. Set up sprinkler for kids to play in tonight (it was high 90s today), and played cards with Dad and the kids at his house tonight--we see him every Wednesday for kids' macaroni and cheese night (It's my favorite food--a sad irony is that I'm moderately allergic to wheat gluten and can have this once a month or less). Continue to pray, as I should have been processing a bunch of cherries today, and I just didn't feel up to it--no energy to do it, though I did manage to finish the section of yard I wished to mow despite the high heat. The cherries are a bit moldy now--I wonder if I can save any of them...

Thanks again for the prayer and emotional support. I hope that if anyone else feels down, they can feel free to ask for help as I did. Even if I never meet any of you face-to-face, I am definitely starting to consider many of you to be friends. Too bad about Bicuspid Boy. Even I got involved with the "Tussle" or whatever the thread was called.

The only depressing part was that I spent an hour after midnight carefully wording and thinking through a post that I hoped would bring some synthesis between the warring sides. Too bad Bicuspid Boy burned his bridges--I like a healthy debate! After all I am descended from the Hatfield side of the McCoy-Hatfield feud on my father's mother's side. :D

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

I have a friend who raised chickens - until the coyotes finally finished off her flock. Her biggest customer was a personal trainer - about 7 dozen a week. You might put up a flyer at some health clubs - if you are close enough to them.

From Pairodocs-Laura

Well, here we are several weeks after Chris' post. Unfortunately, the house is still a mess, but I did 6 loads of laundry today, and Chris has been playing with the irrigation water all day. It's too bad that we don't have any control over the irrigation times, because it really does take a lot of effort (so we don't end up with a swimming pool in our basement, as happened previously). It's also harvest time for the fruits and berries, and this year it's all at once. We are usually processing the fruit, making jams and jellies and canning peaches and making applesauce, and making Chris' award-winning gooseberry glaze, and getting ready for the fair... and, and, and...

This year, after much prayer, I suggested to Chris that we not enter anything in the county fair. Instead, I suggested we go to his mom's ranch in California to spend some time. Besides, I have previously won the Kelley Cherry Pie Contest ($75 plus bragging rights) and Best of Class for several pie categories, so it's time to let someone else take home the premiums. Besides, his chickens refused to molt, so no Grand Champion this year and no Grand Champion Turkey either, since she is currently molting. I do feel slightly guilty, since the Fair folks have always encouraged us to do as much as we could. Chris likes to promote the unusual and Heritage chicken breeds, and Home Arts has been experiencing a slow decline in entries. I also started entering in the roses and produce, and they were happy, since the roses are also unique as are the herbs and fruits that we enter (especially the plums). Chris and I have also entered antiques and cacti, and did get Best of Class for several things in each division. I felt that the stress of all of this has been part of the problem for Chris, so now we can take our time. He instantly felt better when I suggested it, and even went to the City Pool to swim laps! Then, he went back to the pool with the kids ; I am on call, and so did not participate.

We have been attending a marriage class, and this has been tremendously helpful.We get a lot of prayer and support from the group. Sometimes it makes one or both of us feel bad, (we are critical of one another, etc) but we love each other and God is definitely the one who put us together. It forces us to air the family linens, so to speak, and patch the things that need patching. My father-in-law babysits for the 3 or so hours that we are in class; we bring dinner for him and the kids, and he even seems happier himself with this arrangement.

Chris also likes to think that he may have had heart problems last summer which caused him to feel depressed, but I'm not sure. His heart seems to be fine, and he often has energy to do the things he really wants to do. There is a form of Seasonal Affective Dysphoric Disorder which has two peaks; one in the winter and one in the summer. I know I get depressed when we don't get rain here, since I grew up in the Midwest where there are great thunderstorms! I feel that poor Chris may be suffering from this form of SADD, and the OHS just compounded things.

We are currently trying a few natural things to try to control his depression, since he has such bad medication reactions to most antidepressants. He has good days and bad days, like everyone else.

Just thought I'd update you all.

Smoke gets in your eyes in Idaho,
-Laura

Back