Post surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartburst

Looking for good exercise suggestions beside walking. I'm only 10 days post surgery, so currently walking is all I can handle. But what about when I hit a month, then 6 weeks etc. My cardiologist recommended a six month recovery for 100%. No upper body work, then light. Yikes, that's a long time

I agree with Seagal. My cardiologist brought up the stationary bike three times. I don't have one, but if you are looking to buy a piece of equipment, you might consider going with one of those.

See if they recommend a cardiac rehab program. They will get you walking, walking at a brisk pace, biking, and elliptical... all sorts of good cardio and even light weights, plus stretching. All while monitored by trained nurses who can tell you to push harder or even slow down. I wasn't crazy about the idea but wound up really enjoying it. Plus theres a social aspect of relating to other heart patients while your there.

So interesting how cardiac rehab differs for everyone. I loved it, and it was covered by my insurance. I was 41 and a runner, so it allowed me to be comfortable knowing I was monitored. They also had me doing light weights. I was eligible for 36 sessions but had to stop early due to work commitments. I think I did 24 sessions, so about 8 weeks. I started 5 weeks post op. There were all different ages - from 20's to 80's. 2 nurses and 2 physical therapists -with top notch equipment- and depending on the day, sometimes 8 patients at a time, sometimes 2 or 3. The nurses were also helpful answering any questions that came up (weird bruises, medication questions, etc.) and they interfaced with my cardio. If it won't cost you much, I would recommend it. I did visit one other rehab and there was a marked difference in quality of staff, equipment and environment. I think I was very lucky.

DachsieMom;n864562 said:
So interesting how cardiac rehab differs for everyone. I loved it, and it was covered by my insurance. I was 41 and a runner, so it allowed me to be comfortable knowing I was monitored. They also had me doing light weights. I was eligible for 36 sessions but had to stop early due to work commitments. I think I did 24 sessions, so about 8 weeks. I started 5 weeks post op. There were all different ages - from 20's to 80's. 2 nurses and 2 physical therapists -with top notch equipment- and depending on the day, sometimes 8 patients at a time, sometimes 2 or 3. The nurses were also helpful answering any questions that came up (weird bruises, medication questions, etc.) and they interfaced with my cardio. If it won't cost you much, I would recommend it. I did visit one other rehab and there was a marked difference in quality of staff, equipment and environment. I think I was very lucky.

same here I was only able to do 24 sessions because I had to return to work also. wished i could have continued to the full 36

The only exercice I did the first weeks was walking inside, then walking around the house then walking outside in the country with some small hills and doing passive sport in the bed with the wife.

Around 3weeks after discharge I did start running on a treadmill I bought at home. Started very slowly.

Now, at 2months and a half post op, after 30-40min jogging at 10km/h my HR reaches 140 so I am not short of breath or tired, and then I sprint hard to reach my my max HR.

As for the sternum I take it very very easy, my job need a very strong sternum so I am very careful and do not lift more than 15-20 pound and only rarely.

So I would say take it easy at the beginning cause you will get back to shape after.

I did not do Cardiac Rehab because I was too lazy to drive an hour and then back. So I had to feel my limits and when to stop when working out alone.

Because of all of my complications during recovery, I was not ready to start cardiac rehab until I was 12 weeks out. Although I thought I was ready, my cardio did not. So, for the first 12 weeks, I just walked and did everyday activities. I walked on an indoor track until the weather warmed up. I always walked stairs at home. Once it warmed up, I walked outdoors. Miles and miles. I loved the solitude.

I went back to work part time at about 6 weeks, full time at about 8 weeks. (Senior management - desk job.) I started cardiac rehab at 12 weeks, doing 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks. On the "off" days, I went to my own fitness center and did the same routine that we were currently doing in rehab. My rehab consisted of time on a stationary bike, time on a treadmill, then light weight and flexibility training. I am a very outspoken proponent of cardiac rehab. You get from it just what you put into it, and I pushed hard. Whenever my tech would ask "Do you think you can. . . ?" I would just say "Bring it on!" I made many good "rehab friends" and we had a good time while exercising. I sort of became the class clown, joking around with the others and sometimes pranking people. (Did you ever see how fast they come running when you disconnect your monitor and they think your heart stopped?)

Fast-forward about 5 years. I am still going to the gym 5 days a week, and when the weather is nice, I also get out and walk some miles daily. I'm still working, very active, and just doing whatever I should be doing.

This is your life. It is worth the effort. Put a lot into it, so you can get a lot out of it.

Latest posts

Back