post op reveiw

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

Hi all,
I attended my post op review Today with my Surgeon, it was originally arranged for 6 weeks after my AVR but for reasons not explained to me, it is nearly 11 weeks. may I ask a question to all those who have gone before me! what did you expect from the review and what did you actually get?
When I finally got in to see this wonderful man (3 hours of waiting) it was like a mutual appreciation meeting, me praising him and the hospital staff for keeping me alive! him praising me for being a perfect patient !!!!! which includes not going ballistic when cancelled 3 times, being discharged 4 days after surgery! not needing to contact the hospital post surgery (I didn't know I could contact him) monitoring my own recovery by developing a chart which details my BP HR and symptoms 2 x daily and presenting it to my GP, Surgeon and Cardiologist (well if I didn't nobody else involved medically in my recovery would have!), apparently, according to this Adonis of a man (yes, I do have a slight crush) no one else has ever done this !!!!!!!.
I told him of my weird symptoms of tingling, numbness, my strong heart beat, neck pain and vision issues and he says that all of these are attributed to the surgery and he explained that over time they will go away! he was very graphic in his description of me on his operating table and he said that the positions that patients have to be put in to enable accuracy and success no wonder we all feel like we do post surgery then add the effects of the heart and lung machine and POW we have the results of major surgery. The strong heart beat is the fact that my valve is now working and it will quieten eventually.
I expected to receive an ECHO, ECG and bloods but nothing, did anyone else get tests at their review?
Deb xxx

At about six weeks, I had a nice, sit-down, casual conversation with my surgeon in his office. I think the only testing he did was a simple stethoscope exam. He emphatically told me not to hesitate contacting him with any questions or concerns, which I did a couple of times in the following weeks. He is one of those great medical professionals who makes one feel more like a valued client than just a patient.

Last edited:
Hi Deb,

I had my post op review at 8 weeks even though it was supposed to be at 6 weeks. I didn't get so much detail as you ! The surgeon wasn't that interested except in her handiwork…..and when I pointed out an error she had made in the Operation Notes (she had said I had moderately caclifed arteries on CT angiogram, whereas my arteries were actually complely clear with no calcium) she was none too happy and tried to wriggle out of it. Fortunatley she must have realised her mistake as in her report to my cardiologist and GP she wrote that "the patient has brought to my attention that there is an error in the operation notes…..etc". When I also complained about my post op problems she said she wasn't surprised in view of my other medical problems !

I wasn't given an estimate of how long the valve would last, but my cardiologist is brill so I know he'll be keeping an eye on me. He is the one who has done echoes, not the surgeon.

My GP told me the same as your surgeon told you about the valve and it making a noise, ie that it is the valve working/shutting tightly.
xx

Anne,
I did ask him about the valve he used as I only knew it was a 19mm bovine, and it is the same one as you have ☺ I asked why did he prefer this particular valve and he said because of the recorded success and longevity! But also added that each person is different and obviously no accurate timescale can be given, but he was very optimistic for less invasive techniques for future valves.
Deb x

Post op review

Post op review

My post op review was 3 weeks after my AVR. I actually met with the surgeon assistant. She examined me, and explained all things to expect in the coming weeks. She also gave me a detailed letter of my surgery. I thought it was very informative. I did not see the surgeon because he performs 2 surgeries a day and 1 on Saturdays. I thought meeting with the assistant was fine.

My post op review was 3 weeks after my AVR. I actually met with the surgeon assistant. She examined me, and explained all things to expect in the coming weeks. She also gave me a detailed letter of my surgery. I thought it was very informative. I did not see the surgeon because he performs 2 surgeries a day and 1 on Saturdays. I thought meeting with the assistant was fine.

Sounds like you had a good review ☺the one thing I have learnt is if you don't ask the questions you don't get the answers. I wasn't offered a written account of my surgery but like you others on the forum have received a full account I will ask at my first post surgery appointment with my cardiologist
Deb

I was scheduled to meet with the surgeon around 8 weeks after surgery, but due to the time it took to do x-rays, echo, blood work, etc. I missed the surgeon and met with nurse practitioner. She answered most of my questions, and then the cardiologist answered more, later, when they received all the test results.

I was looking forward to learning more about how well the surgery went, whether my enlarged heart was returning to normal, if there were any other problems, what my mechanical valve was made from, a few other questions, and I really wanted to tell the surgeon a big 'Thank You'.

Anne,I did ask him about the valve he used as I only knew it was a 19mm bovine, and it is the same one as you have ☺
Hi Deb - Were you given a little card to carry round which says you have a pericardial aortic valve ? This is really important in case you are invlolved in an accident or emergency. You can get one from Edwards Lifesciences who make that valve by contacting them and telling them you had your aortic valve replaced, when, at what hospital and which surgeon (it will be the main consultant surgeon not the other guy you saw yesterday), they will have the full details as the hospital/surgoen will have registered it with them, here's the contact form: http://www.edwards.com/contactus/pages/patientregistry.aspx
xx

Congratulations on the great review. I will say the cardiologist did request an echo. He wanted to establish a base line for future tests. Glad you are doing well.

Latest posts

Back