Post op.............finally!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwinter

Just a note to let you know I am alive and well. My second avr is over and I hope this will be the last. Excuse there errors please as I know most of us get those foggy moments.
Went in November 1 and had to take yet one more half bath. Surgery itself was scheduled for around 7 a.m. so they rolled me into or. Doc was sending me over to the crew that does closing and had another thought so they brought me back to or and he put in a cabbage. Not sure yet what that is but he explained they put in a bypass in front of heart to give better flow to the blood. If body doesn't need it he said it would close on its own.Family got to see me around 4 pm and the nurse never left my side his whole shift.
I remember them testing me with some questions and then taking out the breathing tube. I was almost immediately stood up and tried a few steps. back into the chair set up and then I just sort of hung my head as it seemed heavy to hold up.
Second day was moved to step down room. I took no painkillers, was making three rounds walking around halls etc...........then.......the truck ran over me.
I had so much pain and also was nauseated . I caved in and took 3 oxy injections, found the wonder drug patch that went behind my ear to stop the vomiting. and stepped out to walk again. No go.
then they sent me home. All procedures were relatively painless.
Got home and could barely get to the bathroom. Huge fatigue had come into play. My husband was busy man helping me throughout those first days.
Yesterday we noticed swelling, Stepped on scale and it showed 20 lbs up. One incision spot refuses to heal so I have some pink and red discharge. I have low blood pressure so they wanted us to monitor it. Found it interesting that at 5 days into this I was starting over it seems.Sleep was difficult but made it into my bed last night and got 4 hours. Using spirometer as directed but went through some cold sweats yesterday.
INR has is doing well but I have been unable to eat much as the vomiting comes quickly.
3:30 this morning everything seems to have turned a corner.
Will share more later but words and typing are not much good yet.
Here is the best "crazy" I have gone through. Went to change dressing, it tugged enough to open one little pin hole, and blood shot out of that hole. Shot in to the air straight up about 4 inches.
Sometimes you just have to laugh. Thanks for being here for me.

Congrats on starting your recovery. I find your experience reassuring as I will likely have another OHS some years down the road. It sounds like your spirits are up, which will go a long way as recovery continues. Wishing you the best!

Good to hear you are out the other side ! I hope a doc will be keeping an eye on your fluid retention and blood pressure !

Like you I had no pain in ICU - doubtless due to meds like morphine going in the line which they took me off of in HDU so then it hits.

I hope you also get the vomiting sorted out. The gut/digestive system takes a huge hit from the anaethetics, the surgery, the pain and the pain meds.

Wishing you all the best - onwards and upwards :)

Good that your recovering , hope everything goes well down the road. Have faith and invest a lot of patience just be calm and cool.

Glad you home and posting! I hope the vomiting subsides soon - I remember that well. Or rather, my husband does. He held the vomit bucket for me. That's true love. We were still newlyweds:)

It sure is nice to turn that corner, isn't it? Once you're on the mend, it may seem to be slow but after a while when you look back you will realize that you pick up speed as your recovery progresses. For now, it is early yet, so just follow instructions like using the spirometer (I found out the hard way just how important that was for me), gentle walking (even stairs), careful eating and watching your statistics (like weight, blood pressure, heart rate, INR if using warfarin, etc.).

One other thing to watch, that they often fail to mention -- keep a close watch on your digestive system. Often the pain meds and anesthesia they give you in the hospital can bring your digestive system to a complete stop. Then, sometimes it can take a LONG time to get it moving again. In my case, it was so bad that at 4 weeks post-op, I had to be readmitted to the hospital to get my digestive system moving again. This delayed my recovery significantly and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My doctors finally got it moving and then sent me home with instructions to use Miralax until I felt that things were back to normal.

Glad all went well! Sounds like you're hanging in there & haven't lost your sense of humor...best wishes on a smooth recovery:)

Latest posts

Back