Poison Ivy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfay

For the second summer in a row, I have a pretty good case of poison ivy going. I was very careful to avoid it when we were in the mountains this weekend, so I couldn't figure out where it came from . But then I realized my dog was in it all weekend and from what I've read, they can bring it back to you on their coats.

Do any of you know of a way to shorten the misery? I still have prescription meds from last year, but have no desire to go on steroids like I had to last summer. Any tips on how to get it off my dog before I get it from her again?

Kim

Maybe you could put on rubber gloves and bathe/shampoo the dog outside tomorrow.
Will doggie mind to sleep in the basement or garage tonight?

Bina, there is NO WAY this dog wil sleep anywhere but right smack in the middle of my husband and I! She is spoiled rotten. It isn't so much a problem now, we are back home. It's when we go up to the mountains where there is poison ivy everywhere that it is a problem. I don't know how to stop it.

Bina, there is NO WAY this dog wil sleep anywhere but right smack in the middle of my husband and I! She is spoiled rotten. It isn't so much a problem now, we are back home. It's when we go up to the mountains where there is poison ivy everywhere that it is a problem. I don't know how to stop it.

Your dog only had to brush her tail on it by wagging (happily) lol
those oils remain on her fur and contagious to you possibly...BUT
I feel sorry for you cus hope not a big dog, but agree you need to bath the dog to remove these contagious oils from spreading to you.
When you do go up to mountains again Wow alot of poison ivy and to control the dog from getting in it would be a task,other than leash and study plants on an ongoing basis as you hike around......This sucks for sure.
How would you monitor so much of it in the mountains.:eek:i guess thats what your asking lol:p i don't know!!!!!:eek: can't leave without the dog either huh? Good luck with this one.Maybe someone knows something you
can put on the dog prior to contact with the ivy,check with vet maybe.

zipper2 (DEB)

Our adult son and daughter-in-law were gardening and got into some poison ivy. Someone had recommended Zanfel to them to keep on hand and it worked wonders! It's an over-the-counter tube of stuff in the poison ivy section and isn't cheap- but a lot cheaper than a trip to the doctor! :D It might be worth a try.......

Great. Just what you needed! I know of a few herbal remedies like aloe
vera juice(from the leaf),tea tree oil,and also to make a paste(or bath)
of oatmeal,cornstarch,baking soda and calamine. Most of these are for comfort ,but the aloe may speed up the healing also. I have used aloe for prickly heat and burns and it works for those,so it may help for poison ivy as my books say.
No scratching...Dina:)

If you know, or suspect you have been exposed, dowse the exposed area with a dry dust to absorb the oil ( I have used dry dirt, and babypowder) then wash it off with brown soap. I used to get it every year as a child, and took baths in jewel weed tea and baking soda to sooth the rash. Don't know what to recommend about the dog. I still get it periodically that way. Best of luck! Brian

I get it from my dog too. I don't know any way to prevent it.

I did find a technique for relief of the itching: get in the shower and hit the infected spots with hot water, as hot as you can stand (but don't burn yourself!.) The relief lasts for several hours then do it again. Works for me anyway.

Best wishes,

Jim

Our adult son and daughter-in-law were gardening and got into some poison ivy. Someone had recommended Zanfel to them to keep on hand and it worked wonders! It's an over-the-counter tube of stuff in the poison ivy section and isn't cheap- but a lot cheaper than a trip to the doctor! :D It might be worth a try.......

I'd been exposed to poison ivy for years... never give the stuff much though for it didn't bother me. THEN about 4 years ago I did a little weed eating in poison ivy while wearing shorts! :eek: Also got several small cuts on my legs. The poison ivy must have got in my blood stream for I had it BIG time! Called my cardiologist (I don't have a GP doctor), he said the only thing would help was a shot. Before I went in for a shot, I searched online. Found Zanfel, none of our local drug stores stocked it... had to drive 60 miles. But I tell you it was worth it. First time I used it gave me instant relief!!

Later I was in to see my skin doctor for yearly checkup and notice he had gotten poison ivy. I told him my experience using Zanfel. He said it wouldn't help! Said the only thing would help is a shot. Just proves... Doctors are not right all the time. ;)

Zanfel worked for me but may not work for someone else. Since then I keep a supply but never needed it again. And now the local drug stores carry it.

Latest posts

Back