Pod#7

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cococat

Hi all

Thanks for your support and good wishes. Home on POD #4 and this is the first I have felt like writing.

I thought I was so prepared ... well I was put into my place!

The fluid retention and shifts were more than I expected. Pain is not that bad for me..

Surgery: went well and got bovine 2.1 cm annulus valve. My internal anatomy is small. The aorta that looked dilated to 4.1 on CT appeared to have a normal wall so not repaired-might be post-stenotic dilitation. In CCU for 36 hours, much of it fuzzy to me. They said there were no floor beds so I had to stay in the ICU. Got an autologous unit in the OR and the second in CCU. On pump 108 mins.
POD # 2 transferred to floor. found that I had gained 20 pounds of fluid coming off pump, etc. When lying flat, so hard to breathe. I did not have much pain but took perc to be able to cough and do the deep breathing. Unfortunately 2 Percs made me drowsy so would sleep and not deep breathe. Left shoulder pain ended up being a pleural effusion. No aches or pains from anesthesia, thank goodness.

At home, balancing pain meds with deep breathing. Taking my lasix and potassium and have gotten 11 pounds of fluid off. Feeling better every day. Making friends with my valve and thanking my old valve for lasting so long.

Thanks for listening.
Claire

Claire I also managed to gain a heap of water weight with both my OHS. I was pretty horrified about the loss of my waist, but I got lots of amusement out of jiggling the flab! It goes away, in the meantime, the Lasix gives you half your exercise for the day cos you have to get up to pee so much. :)

And once all the water is gone, breathing is MUCH easier. Best of luck with the healing!!

Agian. Thank you. We belong to a special group. We sound like like we have similar aortas. What size is your valve opening?
Claire

Congratulations, Coco! Every day will get better. I, too, gained water weight in the hospital -- only ten pounds, but I'm short so I was quite round when I came home. Drawstring pants are your best friend during this time!

Latest posts

Back