Pleural Rub

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, anyone experience pleural rub? I'm recovering from AVR on 10 Dec. 08 and have been recovering from a bout of Dressler's. I'm experiencing plural rub off and on. Today is a particularly bad day. How long does the rub typically last (assuming the Dressler's is being successfully treated)? Is there any harm to the rub itself aside from its proximate cause (Dressler's)?

Any help would be great,

Dave

Sorry I don't have any experience to offer, but I wanted to bump this up again and see if someone else came along with answers.

Hi Dave - sorry to hear you're getting this now :( The last time I had a bout of pleurisy was when I was 13.. I couldn't sleep lying down for 4 days (had to sleep sitting up in a chair) and leaning back felt like murder. After day 4 or 5 it seemed to resolve itself (heaven forbid my mother take me to a doctor!!), but in the meantime it was most unpleasant.

I don't know if there's any long term ramifications - particularly if it doesn't resolve or keeps on occuring, but it sure wouldn't hurt to get in touch with your cardio.

Hope it goes away soon!!

A : )

Dave,
You seem to have brought us into uncharted territory:(. Some other folks have reported Dressler's, maybe you could search and PM them.
What does it feel like? I hope you've contacted your doctor by now for some answers and gotten relief.

Best wishes,
Debby

Cardio's take on my pleural rub

Cardio's take on my pleural rub

Thank y'all for your words of encouragement! I have seen my cardio since developing the rub. In fact, the morning it first developed, I was concerned, my cardio was on vacation, and his back-up dr. told me to go to the emergency room to get tests done (no mention of rub at the time, they thought I might have a chest infection). Tests in the emergency room (after four hours) revealed nothing in the chest x-ray, blood work clean, and EKG normal. They "speculated" it was "some kind of friction between my lungs and my chest wall". I endured, and saw my cardio upon his return a week later. He immediately diagnosed it as pleural rub. Truthfully the rub isn't painful, it's more of an "uncomfortable" feeling and distressing as it persists. I must not have a severe case or a full-blown pleurisy like Abbanabba had, thankfully. My cardio feels my Dressler's is clearing up (no pain from breathing and no spontaneous cough or shortness of breath) and the rub is a leftover symptom of lingering inflammation. So, he just said monitor it and it should dissipate eventually. I trust him, so I'm not panicking, it's just that I worry about how long it will take to clear up and what it might mean in the long term or about my prognosis with Dressler's if it persists. We'll see, I guess.

Thanks again for your kind words of support.

Dave

Latest posts

Back