Pericarditis & Pericardial Effusion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

Have any of you ever gotten this following your OH surgery and if so, what was done to treat it and was it successful? I currently have it and have another echocardiogram scheduled for Tuesday to see if the pericardial effusion has been reduced somewhat. I read on the Internet that bedrest is also indicated for this. So, this means no walking for me for awhile but I can continue my deep-breathing exercises and use my spirometer. I believe I got this right after surgery at Cleveland on 6/5 or possible from bleeding when my pacer wires were removed. I had night sweat the entire time after my surgery which is also a clue and had been running a lowgrade temp 101 and under. I believe if they had done an echocardiogram before I was dismissed, they would easily have picked this up.

Canon, I haven't experienced any of what you are experiencing, but I don't think it would have been appropriate for them to do an echo so early after your surgery due to your sternum. They have to apply quite a lot of pressure which could make an impact on your bones healing properly. Hope you get it all figured out my friend. Kim

I agree with Kim. Pre-surgery, I asked my surgeon about the timing for a follow-up echo. He told me that he does a TEE as part of the surgical procedure, but that a standard echo would not be done until months later.

I thought that standard check X-rays would give a hint of this condition. -- Suzanne

I had an echo 4 days after surgery, the day before I was released. I suppose it depends on the surgeon. My next one was at my 2 months check-up.

Have any of you ever gotten this following your OH surgery and if so, what was done to treat it and was it successful? I currently have it and have another echocardiogram scheduled for Tuesday to see if the pericardial effusion has been reduced somewhat. I read on the Internet that bedrest is also indicated for this. So, this means no walking for me for awhile but I can continue my deep-breathing exercises and use my spirometer. I believe I got this right after surgery at Cleveland on 6/5 or possible from bleeding when my pacer wires were removed. I had night sweat the entire time after my surgery which is also a clue and had been running a lowgrade temp 101 and under. I believe if they had done an echocardiogram before I was dismissed, they would easily have picked this up.

canon - I don't think it is wise to be using advice that you read on the internet to make decisions on your own. That is a decision that only your doctor should provide. It is important to walk after surgery...unless your doctor has told you NOT to walk. The thing with the internet is you can pretty much find the answer you want if you search enough. When it comes to recovering from OHS getting advice off of the internet is not advisable.

A couple other tidbits. I didn't have my first echo until 4 weeks after my surgery, and even then it was uncomfortable due to my scar. If they did chest x-rays on you before you left they would have been able to detect pericardial effusion. The first line of detection is an EKG (ecg) and chest x-ray. If they suspect fluid buildup then they may do an echo to confirm it.

It's quite obvious I have pericardial effusion. Already confirmed by my local cardiologist. Tuesday I go in for another echocardiogram and if I'm doing better, cardiologist will just ride this out. If it has gotten worse, he may choose to a aspirate the fluid in the pericardial sack with a needle. I feel quite sure that is where all my night sweats are coming from.

canon - I don't think it is wise to be using advice that you read on the internet to make decisions on your own. That is a decision that only your doctor should provide. It is important to walk after surgery...unless your doctor has told you NOT to walk. The thing with the internet is you can pretty much find the answer you want if you search enough. When it comes to recovering from OHS getting advice off of the internet is not advisable.

A couple other tidbits. I didn't have my first echo until 4 weeks after my surgery, and even then it was uncomfortable due to my scar. If they did chest x-rays on you before you left they would have been able to detect pericardial effusion. The first line of detection is an EKG (ecg) and chest x-ray. If they suspect fluid buildup then they may do an echo to confirm it.

I agree with all of this.
Only your surgeon/cardiologist should decide about whether you should be walking or not. I found after both my surgeries it was the best thing I did to aid my recovery. Walking was very important to my recoveries but your doctors should decide that.

I also did not have ECHO until about 6 weeks post op. My cardiologist did not want me to suffer that discomfort when he really did not think it necessary. I had chest x-rays and EKG (ECG) prior to discharge from the hospital. That plan worked well for me.

Canon, You've had some bumps in your recovery and hopefully you are now on the road to recovery. Please keep us updated how you are doing. Wishing you the very best.

I'm seconding Bryan...I spent 3 days in the hospital with a drain for "near-tamponade" pericardial effusion, and they encouraged me to walk as much as I could there. My symptoms were atypical, and I ended up having an emergency surgery to make the pericardial window--kind of a surprise since I thought I was going in for the aspiration. So you're ahead of the game if you have a diagnosis.

I find myself in a very similar place. Came bac to hospital 24th with what turned out to be pericardial effusion. They did an echo to r\o need for aspiration. Sending me home today with another echo for Thursday, but I will certainly tell to go easy on the ribs. Pain gratefully has really been a nonissue since discharge on June 15th. MD put me on a prednisone taper to deal with inflammation and keep this happening again. Hope recovery starts getting easier. Liam

Liam, I hope that your recovery goes smoother also. At least you can relate to what I've experienced post-op and I likewise understand and sympathize what you are enduring also. My pain from my sternum, with the exception of deep coughing, has not nearly approached the pain I've experienced from the pericardial effusion. Thank God for oxy when you truly need it. I did pop one today when I got that horrendous pain between my shoulder blades that would not let up. I am hoping that all this post-op stuff will someday be a distant memory. I am jealous, however, of those that sail through their recovery without so much as a misstep. But good for them! I am very happy they are spared any more junk given the seriousness of these surgeries. I really appreciate being able to tap the collective brainpower and experiences of the members here.

Latest posts

Back