Pericardial effusion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armaluca

Hi! I had surgery due to Aortic Aneurysm and Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Both replaced with Bentall procedure.
Just after 6 days an echocardiogram revealed a small pericardial effusion (7mm Posterior) that gradually increased over time and after 44 days it was all around the heart (43mm Max). So I had Pericardiocentesis and drained 1 liter of fluid (ematic) and had drainage left in place for 3 days (almost 0.8 liters of fluid with color gradually changing from red to yellowish with trace of blood).
When they removed the drainage there was still some fluid in the tube so I guess my effusion never stopped.
So just a day after they removed the tube a small effusion was already there about 12mm Max posterior .
Now after 20 days from pericardiocentesis It is basically doubled in size 22mm Max.

Doctors are treating me since OHS with Brufen and Colchicine.
In a couple of days I will start with Cortisone.
I noticed that the effusion drastically increased in size when I considerably increased coumadin dosage (i find IT very hard to stay above INR 2.0 so i also have Clexane).
I don't know if any of you had same problems as mine and what was the cause.
Maybe we can share!

Thanks
Luca

I also went through pericardial effusion after my aortic valve replacement. I was never told exactly what caused it, but I was told that it can be a side effect of the trauma to the heart as well as a possible side effect of anti-coagulant therapy. My fluid showed up almost 2 weeks after my initial surgery. My heart rate was high, around 100, then it would jump to 120-130 before dropping suddenly to around 60, making me feel short of breath, weak, and generally uncomfortable. I don't know the size of the effusion, but they did the surgery to place to the chest tube quite quickly after it was found, so I'm assuming it was pretty serious. My tube was kept in for 3 days, but it really only drained for the first day or so, which I why they removed it on the 3rd day. Fluid was reddish pink, which I was told meant it was not internal bleeding (yay?) I had a follow up echo 10 days after that which came back clean. Sorry you are still dealing with this, I'm really hoping I don't get it again! Take care.

Latest posts

Back