peace of mind

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryen0

i'm not sure where to post this. but alot of you guys know that i've been dealing with anxiety problems post op. Just wanted to see how you have coped with this or if you have any tips on getting back to some kind of normal post surgery. I just can't seem to get back my peace of mind that i used to have. i just don't feel like myself anymore.

It takes time ? I was acutely aware of every heart beat for the longest time ?. As many have said, it takes a year or so to fully recover and that includes your emotions as well ? at least that was true in my case ? the more I healed the more things got back to normal and then they just kept getting better ? Just hold on the fact the it will improve ? I also believe that doing something normal makes us feel normal ? so maybe you could pick something that you have not done post op and do it ? a movie, a ball game, a car ride to the mountains ?? you get the idea ? hang in there, it will come.

You're only a little more than two months out, so that's not very long, and it takes time -- physically and mentally, to heal. Being occasionally "down" or depressed at times is quite common.

I found getting back into exercise helpful. Cardiac rehab helped me get there but of course you can do it on your own. Fall weather is almost here -- a great time for walking. Maybe some refreshing walks in a pretty spot?

Of course, if you feel like this is becoming a chronic problem, don't hesitate to take it up with the medical folks.

thanks

thanks

thanks cooker and superbob. all of the people here are an inspiration. with me i'm sure it's 90% mental though. that's what drives me nuts. i can't make myself think that i'll be ok. which may be brain chemistry, i'm not sure. i know it's still early, but i wish i could just get back to how i was where i didn't worry about my health all the time.

You're body just went through a major trauma so no wonder you are anxious about your health. I was quite anxious post-op as this was my first real lesson on how vulnerable our bodies are, but it went away eventually. Any trauma will do that to you, as it's only natural to worry about ever having a repeat of the traumatic experience. As the memory of it becomes distant, so will the anxiety I am sure. Best wishes and good luck.

I am sorry to say that I am still anxious, but then I like my life "in order". No chaos for me! It does get better though, post op I was not fun to be around and did not like myself very much. The worst of that has passed. Hang in there!

major surgery is what it is - major. it will take you some months to feel like your old self, more or less, again. Hang with it; if it hangs on to you, check in w/your doctor. Wishing you peace. Blessins..........

Latest posts

Back