Paranoia and Colonoscopy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Wednesday, so I "should" be stopping my coumadin tomorrow. I'm getting really paranoid about not bridging--my cardio here told me to just stop taking it 3 days before and go back on after the procedure. I talked to my PCP last Tuesday about just staying on, but she agreed that with my history of polyps and my brother's colon CA history, I should probably be prepared to have some removed again.
Then I started reading the old thread about colonoscopy and coumadin, and am all worried about not bridging. Unless I can grab a cardio at work tomorrow and get them to write me the RX for lovenox (while I'm still 4 days out) I'm kind of stuck with waiting and worrying.

any advice? Other than I should have made my local cardio bridge me???:confused:

Hello Caroline,

I wrestled with how to proceed with my colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I was unable to convince my GI Doc to do the procedure while fully anti-coagulated (he wanted to take a biopsy) so I conceded and anguished over Bridging / Lovenox / self injections.

In the end, I went with the Bridging Therapy and even gave myself the injections (OK, all but 2), just so that I could feel confident in that procedure if / when I needed to do it again. After reading more about Lovenox vs. Heparin here on the AC Forum, I'm glad I went with the Lovenox Bridge and would do that again if need be.

FWIW, I had a 'cool twinge' on the right side of my face just as I checked in for the procedure (which only lasted a minute or two), they checked my reflexes and monitored
me closely while I received the IV antibiotics and waited for the procedure (over 2 hours to receive two IV antibiotics). YES, I had a purple belly (OK, I couldn't quite get up the nerve to 'throw' the needle and 'pushed' it in. Yeah, I know, all the nurses probably got a good laugh but it worked. Maybe next time I'll do it 'right', but I'd be even more afraid to go Cold Turkey without the Bridge.

It comes down to your decision on how you want to procede. Remember, if you have to, you can always reschedule. Regardless of what you decide, we (I'm speaking for all of us on VR.com) will be here for you.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Carolyn,
Hope every thing went well with your Colonoscopy. I just saw my PCP today, she wanted to talk to me about bridging therapy for my colonoscopy at the end of the month. After reading Ross's link it doesn't really look like I need it. The gastro Dr said he usually just has you stop the coumadin 4 days before, but says, but then your blood is thick and you know you take the coumadin to keep it thin. I guess I'll just go with the bridge and see how it goes.
Kathy

Colonoscopy Update

Colonoscopy Update

Went today for my colonoscopy--just stopped the coumadin and did not bridge. My fault for not pushing it with my docs, but it's all water under the bridge (no pun intended LOL)
Had 4 polyps removed--will restart my coumadin tomorrow per the doctor, taking 10, then going back to my regular dosing, and will go to the iNR clinic on Monday to get checked.
My biggest crisis was waking up this morning feeling lousy,had a temp of 101 , a headache and a throat that felt like it was on fire. It was 100 at the hospital, they were pre-medicating me with IV antibiotics anyway so we went ahead with the procedure. The temp has broke since then, but I'm still stuffy. They also put me on oral antibiotics for a week.
Thanks for the good wishes and concern. I'm glad it's over with. Oh, and next time I will NOT do the drinking bowel prep-the only way I could get it down was to hold my nose and drink. I'd rather take the pills any day.

Glad that's over for you. Any idea what your INR was prior to the procedure?

Karlynn said:
Glad that's over for you. Any idea what your INR was prior to the procedure?

Nope, they didn't even check it, which I thought was odd. Unless they did it after they put me out. Which by the way I wasn't really "out" enough since I remember them doing something that hurt at least twice (enough for me to say owww!!) I'm assuming they were removing a polyp.
Last time I had it checked it was 3.1 that was 2 weeks ago.

Sounds like it was a good idea to have the colonoscopy done since they had to remove some polyps. Has anyone tried adding cystal Lite flavor to the Go Lytely? The Dr I went to told me it was my only choice of preps because of the heart history and diabetes, but he suggested using that for flavor instead of the packet they give you.
Carolyn- how was your INR today?
Kathy H

Hi Kathy--
I posted this under the surgery and anticoag thread, but will tell you here, in case you're like me and don't read everything!

Anyway--had my INR checked today (realized the clinic wasn't open Monday so couldn't do it then!). My INR was 1.5, and surprisingly, the cardiologist told me to stay on my current dosing, and come back in 2 weeks. I called them back and told the nurse that I reallly wasn't comfortable with that. I'm going to my current dose BUT go back on Monday to get checked again. And if it's still out of range, I'll get it checked again on Thursday of next week. I so wish I'd had it checked the day of the procedure, or the day after at least, when I started back on my coumadin. I don't know how low I really went after being off for 4 days.

Hi Carolyn, glad to see your post that everything (other than a fever!) went well with your colonoscopy. Hope that your INR is now in range.

I was especially interested in how you did as I am going in for a colonoscopy on Monday....but we decided to do the bridging. I gave myself my first lovenox injection today! But even with that, being without warfarin or lovenox for perhaps 2 days (possibly 3) is making me nervous...I know they will have to either remove polyps or do something as I am bleeding :( and the doc said he may have to hold me off of any anticoagulant for longer than usual.

So, There is some re-assurance for me from your experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Again, hope you are feeling better!

Latest posts

Back