Panic Attacks: 4 Weeks After OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maria:

They warned me time and time again at the hospital that the younger and stronger we are, the more painful it will be. They were right and like your husband, I have pushed a lot of plates in my life, worked cement for years and carry a lot of chest muscle. I’m a little over 3 weeks post op for my aorta repair and I know exactly how he feels.

With the sleep depravation, progressing into unrelenting pain, which gave way to hyper-ventilation…. BLAM! Panic attack.

Being a big strong guy whose coping skills have been challenged for the last couple years for going from 100% perfectly healthy and strong weight lifting cement guy, welder and mechanic to a cardiac patient with a time bomb in my chest who went from busting out driveways to being afraid to pick up a case of bottled water can really wear on our fragile male ego's. We think we are made of steel. I would watch TV and don’t even think a bit about hearing about other people’s health problems, than all of a sudden, I spend at least an hour a two a week doing research on my affliction. I now see every single thing in the whole world in a different light and I’m now forced to depend on those who we thought depended on us. At times, through this traumatic event our bodies and minds are going through, we are now re-defining ourselves and questioning our worth as providers and whether we will ever have a "normal" life again. Sure, deep down I know everything will be fine, but when stuff hurts and that heart starts pounding, my common sense switches off and my fight or flight switches on.

This sounds pretty rough doesn’t it? As much as most of us want to believe that we have been blessed with a second chance, we will take away valuable life lessons, and everything is going to be just fine and we will recover in time, the bottom line is we are right here, right now and its very frustrating and scary and at times. I wish I had the answer but both your husband and I are passengers in the same car trying to get to the same place and it’s a very difficult ride with a lot of unplanned detours and rough roads. We have no control over the situation and if your husband is anything like me, being a “type A” personality, we are not good at giving up control and relying on others.

Last thing I want to say is that through all of this, my wife has really taken the brunt of the stress in my household. My wife has to re-assure me regularly that everything will be ok and things are going just fine. She keeps my brain engaged in other things and gets me a lot of mob movies to keep my mind occupied while holding down the rest of the household. She had to hoist me in and out of my bed at times, quash my anxiety with words of kindness and kick me out of my self pity from time to time. This is no picnic for the spouses and I think my wife has a much more difficult job through all of this than I do. I have people attending to my needs all over the place, she doesn’t. Make sure your good to yourself and don’t let the stress pull you down. Take some time for your own mental well being Maria this is surely no picnic for you or your husband.

I had surgery July 2009 over 1 and a half years ago and I still have occasional anxiety. I thought about asking the doctor for something to help, but I am taking so many meds now I would hate to add to them. Almost ALL of my anxiety happens at night, either right before going to sleep or upon waking in the middle of the night. Why do we do this? I simply have no idea, but I do know that I had lots of anxiety before surgery as well. I think it was more before than now.....but I also had several episodes of rotational vertigo that I would like to NEVER have again. I think once I start to think about that I become anxious. These all happened at night, as I turned from my left to my right side. It took several minutes for it to subside and I think that is a LOT of my anxiety.

I have a mechanical valve that is very loud, so when I get anxious I count the beats and watch the clock. Once I know my HR is in normal range, I tend to calm somewhat. Maybe your husband will find a trigger that works for him to help calm him. Everyone has their own little ways of getting through the rough patches. YOU def need to stay calm when he is freaking. Maybe get a wet washcloth and wash his face a bit. OR rub his head while talking to him in a soothing tone. That would calm me down.

Good luck to you both!

Mileena

Hi Maria,

The chest pain is normal. I had chest pain for quiet awhile. It took a good year for most of it to subside! I did not feel COMPLETELY normal for 2 1/2 yrs! That is not the norm for most people. I did have some complications that slowed my recovery. As far as the panic attacks I believe that is quiet normal for some people. Just give it all time. In the meantime some meds temporarly for his anxiety would certainly be appropriate. I took a low dose xanax for sleeping. Be patient, hang in there with him. I believe he will be fine. Please keep in mind he has been through MAJOR surgery! Like I said it just takes time to get back to normal, physically, mentally, and last but not least emotionally.

Good luck to both of you, and please take care!

Anxiety?

Anxiety?

If he's having issues with panic and anxiety, keep an eye on him. It's not uncommon for OHS folks to get hit with post-traumatic stress disorder. I had a smooth, easy recovery and it still got me. Hopefully, he'll manage to dodge that issue.

-Philip

Maria,
The beta blocker does control the heart rate and is known to have anti-anxiety properties as well. Good luck.

Maria, I was just rereading this thread when it dawned on me that he could have low blood sugars during the night .......when I was in the hospital and had panic/anxiety attacks it was explained to me that during the day we spread our meals out and there is energy for the body to do the repair work needed BUT at night we fast (hence break-fast) so I was given a lrger snack including Orange Juice and carbs....I am attaching an artilce about NON-diabetics going hypoglycemic

http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-symptoms

Hi, I was super panicky and hyper vigilant. I'd check my heart rate probably 50 times a day and my blood pressure multiple times a day. I also had a stethoscope and would listen to my heart obsessively. I panicked over all kinds of things and thought I would lose my mind. I really thought I would lose it. I was also extremely germaphobic. I posted on this page almost every day with a new problem. Now I'm 5 months out, I'd say the anxiety slowly went away. I was taking ativan daily and still do and will wean off now, I'd say 4months for me. My grandfather who had OHS was back to normal (emotionally) at about 6 months. Also zoloft helps a lot, one of the things it does is stop you from being hyper-vigilant. It really worked for me and I only take the smallest dose it comes in. I can attribute my lack of anxiety now completely to it but it did take the edge off. Good luck, things will get better. Oh and I did go to a therapist when I suspected PTSD. I'm a grad student in counseling, it is possible for him to have PTSD though he'd need to be properly diagnosed. PTSD is treatable and responds well to therapy.

Latest posts

Back