Own v. Rent INR Machine?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

tom in MO

I’ll throw my 2cents in—-i have been on warfarin for 9 yrs. I got so frustrated with doing monthly testing that my Coumadin clinic ordered. I purchased my own Coaguchek xs on eBay so I could test weekly. It was new in the box and about a third of the price that Roche wanted. I had no problems with it—worked great. I used it for 4-5 years. When I became eligible for Medicare I got a new Coaguchek and strips from Roche at no cost (my supplement pays what Medicare doesn’t).
Key thing for me is you bought new off Ebay, not used from Grandson Fred :)

You got your new one at 1/3 the cost, and Allere gives the meters away for the price of the strips, that gives you an idea of how cheap the meters really are.

cewilk

I have been bidding on eBay for a used Coaguchek XS but keep getting outbid 😕 there are many “buy it now” options that aren’t too much higher than the ending prices on the ones for bid. I think I’m just going to do that. It’s far cheaper for me to buy my own rather than the amount I still have to pay through insurance. Simply calling my INR in to my cardio costs $80 per month just to call it in! And the RN either makes no further recommendations or an adjustment that I already know how to make on my own. The “service” just isn’t worth it anymore to me. I’m happy to hear others have been going solo with their testing and warfarin management for quite awhile now. I am confident I can get a used Coaguchek for <$250. Seems to be about the average on eBay right now.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
I have been bidding on eBay for a used Coaguchek XS but keep getting outbid 😕 there are many “buy it now” options that aren’t too much higher than the ending prices on the ones for bid. ... I am confident I can get a used Coaguchek for <$250. Seems to be about the average on eBay right now.
That's a good price, and seems a lot cheaper than new. Sometimes it's not worth saving 20% of the price to get one which does not look perfectly presented and actually "as new" especially when you are going to then be using it over years and it just therefore keeps getting cheaper (amortized per rest)

mecretired

I paid $800 for a new one on eBay and it included 48 test strips. I was very pleased with it and used it for several years. When I needed more test strips i purchased them on eBay. Just be sure to check out the person you’re buying from.

Protimenow

Alere (one l, not two) will give you the strips -- but at what price? They probably also want you to use a service to call the results in. The 'free with strips' offer sounds dubious, but I haven't checked it out.

I've bought most of my meters on eBay.

I prefer Coag-Sense over CoaguChek XS -- I also have one for sale. I no longer need it. I have to check to see how many tests have been run on it, but I know that it's practlcally new.

ANd I'd feel comfortable buying Grandpa Fred's meter. It probably hasn't been used much, it was working properly when it was being used for testing. The grandkids have no idea what it is, and just want to get a few bucks out of it. As far as amount of use on Grandpa's meter - it sure is a hell of a lot less use than buying from a hospital, clinic, or doctor's office that ran thousands of error free tests on it.

These meters last a LONG time - they're designed to.

Latest posts