Overdosed on Coumadin, took 2 doses instead of 1 today, HELP!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

Hi all,

I had my aortic valve replaced and I'm now taking coumadin (well, have been since 2010). My range is 2.5 - 3.5 and on Thursday I went in to have my INR checked and came out to 3.2 (so on the higher range). I was off coumadin for roughly 6 days for a minor surgery (didn't have the shot done either) and 3.2 is what it read after a week or so of being back on coumadin again.

To the point. Today, I took 9 mg of coumadin at roughly 2-3 pm, then took 9mg again of coumadin at 8pm. I totally forgot I had taken my coumadin so I have now taken 9mg twice in a day when I was only suppose to take one dose. I can't contact my coumadin until Monday when she's back in the office because they don't work weekends.

Should I skip a dose tomorrow, go to the ER, or continue my normal pattern?

How i'm currently taking coumadin: M/T/W/F/Sat I take 9mg, leaving Th/Sun to 6mg.

I'm sure some here will have better advice, but first off, I wouldn't panic. You can call your pharmacist as soon as they open and find out if you should resume your dose as normal or skip one.

Hi there.

Done this myself and there is no need to trouble the folks at the ER. You can read my write up here

http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...k-my-dosetwice

Short story is just drop your dose tomorrow and continue as normal. If you are super keen, talk half the regular dose the day after then continue as normal. But either works.

Its not life threatening ;-)

Are you using a pill box?

I'm not on Coumadin, but am curious, for those of you that are, in addition to skipping 1/2 to all of the next day's dose as suggested, would it be a good day to eat a large Kale or Spinach salad?

AZ Don;n859187 said:
I'm not on Coumadin, but am curious, for those of you that are, in addition to skipping 1/2 to all of the next day's dose as suggested, would it be a good day to eat a large Kale or Spinach salad?

Wouldn't hurt....but vit K vegs don't have that much of an immediate affect on INR . Best to do it by withholding a dose or so.

Hi Don
AZ Don;n859187 said:
I'm not on Coumadin, but aem curious, for those of you that are, in addition to skipping 1/2 to all of the next day's dose as suggested, would it be a good day to eat a large Kale or Spinach salad?

Much is often made of the influence of K veges. My own measurements fail to support this meme. When you look at the levels of K in veges you see that to achieve a reversal of coagulation K as is used for in the ER you need to eat more spinach (the highest in K) than you would wish to presented with that plate.

The thing about adjusting dose and INR is that there is a lag in the system combined with some level of volatility. Its easy to over correct (due to the lag) and its easy to mistake a natural variation for something you did.

AZ Don;n859187 said:

The loony tunes at the hospital where I was recovering from OHS screwed up my Warfarin dosage one day and my INR was 8.8...they administered IV vitamin K to bring it down...

On the rare occasion that I've found my INR unusually high, I've treated myself to a huge Kale salad. Not because I think it actually does anything useful, but because I can't think of a single other thing I could do, and it always feels good to do something! Kind of like sending blankets to Haiti, I guess. Most important thing to take away from the responses, is that you aren't in mortal danger. Try not to hit your head in the next couple of days!

Well after posting what seemed to such an urgent question, the original poster never returned to comment on any replies... What should we figure happened to him I wonder?...

MrsBray;n859236 said:
I set an alarm on my phone, 9:00 pm, 7 days a week, "Take your medicine"
Also, if I'm feeling particularly blood thin-y, I eat brussels sprouts for breakfast. It's all about the feeling of control. :)

Me too. For the alarm that is, not the sprouts😝

almost_hectic;n859244 said:
Well after posting what seemed to such an urgent question, the original poster never returned to comment on any replies... What should we figure happened to him I wonder?...
Got his answer and moved on?
Hasn't checked in to see the answers?

I often wonder the same, but when I see their next post I assume nothing bad happened to them.

almost_hectic;n859244 said:
its been a week or so ... either he's ill or disinclined

I'm alive. I decided to skip warfarin for 1 day and continue with my normal dosage after that. My range is 2.5 - 3.5 and I was at 3.7 when I met with my doctor. She said she would have also recommended I go 1 day without Warfarin after double dosing, but only because my INR was on the higher end when I went in for testing. Thanks everyone for the help!

Warfinking. not a good idea to skip a regular dose. You must take the dose suggested by the doctor. If this happens during the week, you can call the cardio's office and let them know what happened. Never skip the next dose without doctor advice. Just concerned friend. Thanks for talking to the doctor in person. Face to face is better than on the phone any day. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back