Over the years, has your Aortic Root changed or stayed relatively the same?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxx_yer_Soxx

Is it possible for a persons Aortic Root to stay relatively the same size their whole adult life?

Or does everyones grow as they get older.....no matter what??

Thanks

Most will stay pretty much the same. Primarily individuals with either connective tissue disorders or with hypertension / high cholesterol will experience dilation of the aorta. Connective tissue disorders will appear in the ascending aorta and the root. Hypertension and related issues will typically appear in the abdominal aorta.

Mine was steady at 2.5 for quite a while and for the last couple of years has been at 3.0, so not that much of a difference. I have my yearly echo next month, so we'll see if there's been any change.

Cheers,
Michelle

:rolleyes: I know you are tired of hearing from me. I had an aneurysm diagnosed through a routine chest X-ray in the early 90s. (A chest X-ray is not supposed to pick this sort of thing up, but mine did. I could see it myself. It was definitely much bigger than my regular aorta, which probably was about 2-2.5 cm.) The aneurysm was in the 4.2 cm to 4.5 cm range in the early days--varying according to the radiologist reading it or the style of technology used to read it. The aneurysm was invisible in my echos, although it was in the ascending aorta, just below the arch. The aneurysm seemed to stabilize when it got to the 4.7ish range. Due to advice from geneticists who saw that I was borderline-Marfan Syndrome, I took lots of beta blockers and gave up aerobic exercises and lifting anything over 25 pounds. Then, during an exam at Stanford University during a year working on the west coast, a bicuspid aortic valve was seen. Dr. Liang (at Stanford) said that the aortic valve would need to be replaced before the aneurysm would need fixing. I had them both repaired in 2008, of course.

My father, who had the same basic "Marfan" symptoms I had, died of Pneumonia when he was 89. I have been told that aortas often appear to grow over a lifetime. His medical records, however, showed that his aortic root area was 4 cm only, even at his advanced age and with years of hypertension.
:confused:

Still Worried?

Still Worried?

Hi Rox,

Sure, it's possible for an aortic root to stay pretty much the same size throughout life for many people...that's what you want to hear right?

Based upon information you've put up in previous posts, it sounds like your aorta is okay at this point. Whether or not your's will stay the same size or develop an aneuryism because you have a bicuspid aortic valve is something you have little control over.

Of course, one could follow advice I was given by a cardiologist twenty-nine years ago and become sedintary. I tried it for about six months and realized that wasn't me, and wasn't the person I wanted to become. I got up off of the couch and got on with my life...with no regrets.

I hope you're not in the mode where you're fixated on your "condition." I did that for a while too...it was a real downer (although, it did come in handy for bailing on a couple of engagements...thank God for a convenient "life-threatening heart condition).

Like it or not, there's a lot of circumstances in life we can't control. Time will run it's course and your aorta will stay in okay shape or possibly develop an aneuryism that may need repair. My aorta went from being pretty normal to needing repair over the course of twenty-seven years. There's little to be gained by worrying about the chances of this or that happening. Follow your cardio doc's advice about having it monitored and enjoy your life.

-Philip

Hey Phillip-

Yes, guilty as charged. Still concerned.

But... getting better.

Right now, I don't think of myself as having a "condition"

Maybe that's just me being delusional?

But... my Cardio refused at this point to even list me as having a
condition for sure. So my chart says "possible Bicuspid with no restrictions."

As far as hanging out on the couch.... far from it. :)

As I type this, I am resting in between sets of my p90x workout...about as intense as workouts get.

My thought is that Arnold Schwarzenegger knew from a young age that he had a BAV, and a 4.2 AR when he was in his early teens..... you see how much that stopped him.

Of course he had OHS in 1997 when he was 50. :(

But... my chart is different from his... so on the advice of my doc... hardcore workouts will go on with no restrictions!!

Life

Life

So quit worrying, fussing, and fuming...and get on with your life. I doubt members of your family are enjoying the drama.

Others may disagree (and they're welcome to), but based upon what you've posted so far you've been only been diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve which sounds like it's functioning okay for now. People with bicuspid aortic valves live normal lives with no restrictions every day.

When I finally had surgery back in 2007, many people I've known and worked with for years didn't even know I had been diagnosed with a bicuspid valve.

Anyway, I don't know if this kind of response really helps or if it simply feeds the drama thing for you...so I'll stop. Good luck and god speed...

-Philip

I think it's perfectly fine to worry and I don't think anyone should begrudge you of it. In fact, I think it's unnatural to not be worried and anyone that tells you they weren't or wouldn't be worried isn't being honest with themselves; but like a nurse once told me, make sure you spend more time living than dying.

I came to a point some time ago with my aneurysm in the waiting room where I felt that I was so consumed with worry that if I'd died, the last however many months I spent worrying would have been wasted. I don't want to waste any more time with such a potentially limited supply. I redoubled my efforts to live a more full life.

That being said, you're asking perfectly legitimate questions that any person with a BAV really ought to know.

Hi Rox,

I hope you're not in the mode where you're fixated on your "condition." I did that for a while too...it was a real downer (although, it did come in handy for bailing on a couple of engagements...thank God for a convenient "life-threatening heart condition).

-Philip

hehe, it did come in handy to avoid having to swim in PE during high school... In the "early" days (until about then), the only restriction I had was against competitive sports. A few years ago I was considering doing the SF to LA AIDS bike ride and my cardiologist said no problem so I figure there are no restrictions anymore. :cool: Gotta get fit if they're going to replace my valve next year!

Roxx - I figure that staying healthy will make your heart happy and delay the potential for a future fix.

I was 33 when I had my aneurysm repaired along with my valve, about nine and a half months ago. I did not live a very active lifestyle but I did partake in a few sports in high school plus practiced martial arts for eight and a half years. In the past twelve years before my surgery, I did not really partake in a whole lot of exercise other than hiking and camping on occasion. In the nine months prior to my surgery my ascending aorta was 4.65 cm and less than nine months later it had grown to 5.6 cm!!!--all the while I was not exercising at all.

Those nine months I was completely sedentary.

I suppose the moral of the story is that if it is going to grow, it will, beyond your control. Granted, during that nine month time I was under tremendous stress in my life, more than I had ever experienced, but, as far as activity was concerned it was minimal. My Cardiologist always told me to refrain from lifting heavy weights my whole life (well, since I was a teenager) and I obliged very diligently. This did not prevent my aneurysm from growing.

What I believe it may have prevented is it growing _sooner_ though, in the end, it grew anyways when I was not doing much at all. You can't live your life sitting around worrying about it getting larger. That will tear you up inside. Listen to your doctor, and, most importantly, listen to yourself and your gut feelings.

However, do not let wanton worrying consume your time. Life is too short to live that way. Besides, if you ever do find yourself truly in the waiting room knowing in a month and a half that you will be having surgery, the stress can tear you to pieces and eventually, through a trial such as that, if you hadn't learned it by then you will eventually come to peace with the inevitable (if it is such the course you are destined to take).

Take my word for it--come to peace with it now. If your doctor says you can live a normal life, do so! Don't let it hold you back because life is too short to worry every day.

Is it possible for a persons Aortic Root to stay relatively the same size their whole adult life?

Or does everyones grow as they get older.....no matter what??

Thanks

Per my last Echo on 9/09 and reading from my cardios report "the aortic root is mildly (4.2cm) dilated". This was at age 73 and 42 years after OHS. Hope this helps.

After all the tests I have had over the years, I have never had a physician mention any concern over a possible "aneurysm". Maybe I was lucky or maybe I had the surgery before an aneurysm was able to form or become serious.

Until I began reading this forum a couple years ago I never gave conditions like "aneurysm" a second thought. Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.....especially when I try to be a doctor:p

Latest posts

Back