Over the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Berning

Hi All,

I had my aortic valve and ascending aorta replaced last Friday the 16th at Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland. Dr Andrew Tsen did the surgery. I now have a 25mm OnX and a dacron graft. I came home from the hospital on Wednesday the 21st and have had no real problems other than the usual ones. Some of my biggest post op surprises were how much I would hate the tube down my throat and the fact that when the tube came out I would not have a voice(it's still not back to normal). The other is the whole gastrointestinal side of surgery and how uncomfortable that has been. I spent two nights in ICU before I got moved to the regular cardiac ward and three nights there before they let me out. Now I'm trying to get my walking and breathing exercises done and keep my meds straight. I felt like I got excellent care, no mishaps or cranky nurses etc.
Like many of you I agonized more about my choice of valve than about the surgery itself, rat poison or re-op? and in the end warfarin became the lessor of the evils. I don't think the TAVI valves are going to be the reop of choice for relatively healthy people anytime in the next decade or so. The thought of going through OHS every 10-15 years, even a minimally invasive ones is just not for me. I want to thank all of you who participate in this forum, it has been a great resource to me.

Tom

Here is to a smooth bump free road ahead​
cheers%u00252B2%2Bchampagne%2Bglasses%2Bclinking.jpg

Welcome Home.
Happy your surgery seems to have gone smoothly as has your early recovery.
Keep up the good work and have a bump free recovery.
Let us know how you are doing as the time goes by.

We like to hear people's progress through healing.

Welcome home! Glad everything went smoothly. I hope it stays that way. Enjoy the holidays at home. At least you have a whole bunch of good food to convince you to eat, now just remember to keep it balanced!

Oh, the GI thing - gastric paresis in my case. I needed Reglan for several weeks. It worked extremely well to get things moving again.

It so odd that I don't even remember the tube and had no problems with my voice.

Glad your op went well. Warfarin has been a non-issue for me. I have been rock stable for close to a year now, and only had a few fluctuations in the first year. Continued good luck with your recovery.

Lol, about the voice thing. I thought my voice sounded like Michael Jackson's for about four days. Avr with decdron graft on 12/19. My voice still isn't the same. The pain is a little more severe for me this time. I'm not sure why? Possibly because I'm a redo. The suture sites where my three chest tubes are somewhat bothersome, but those will be taken out soon. Fingers crossed I can continue my care here in Detroit and not drive the 3.5 hours to Cleveland. Yuck.

Hi Tom,

Congrats on your successful surgery!

Take it slow for a while, follow the doctor's orders, and you will be riding high as you get into the new year!

Rob

Best wishes to you, Tom, for an excellent recovery :) I remember how relieved I was years ago when I found this site too.

And best wishes to you too, ocunurse. We had a 2-3 hour drive too -- which felt like we were traveling to another planet when I developed some post-op A-fib/A-flutter and had to go back to the hospital :frown2:

Latest posts

Back