our new arrival

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

liamty

Well 'it' has finally arrived, and now I am feeling a little hesitant rather than as excited as I'd expected!!!!! Our coagucheck s and all the parafanalia has just been delivered. The booklet is inches think, there is a video to watch and other info to read too- a bit overwhelming. I'm now wondering if I have the energy for this right now! And I say I, but the machine is actually for Steve, but he being him it will be me to do the reading and instructing initially I am sure. Steve is still at work, so doesn't know 'it' has arrived yet. So as 'it' is sure to take a lot of getting used to and understanding I am after any lessons learned and tips from all of you experienced users out there. Any local nursing staff I have spoken to don't know of the coaguchecks existance, so besides our GPs limited knowledge (he doesn't own one, but has used one) were beginning another learning curve. We must decide on a name for our new addition, maybe CC?

Very simple to use. Do not let the book intimidate you. You'll be up and running in no time. You'll see. ;)

Hello Donna,

You may want to take it in a little at a time.

For starters, look over the table of contents and skip to the chapter on how to use the instrument. You really don't need to understand all the technical stuff on how it does what it does ;)

If there are illustrations (surely there are), look them over to get an idea of what is involved in the testing. THEN read the details. It will all become second nature in time.

Good luck and happy testing. :)

'AL'

Hi Donna,
I have a feeling that the English and Australian versions of the books that come with the coaguchek are the same (US version different according to the packaging...), in which case there should be a "quick-start" booklet as well which tells you the basics of how to get the machine up and running. The thick one is really just an incredibly detailed version of the same thing, with explanations for every possible display reading, etc. And the video talks you through the booklet and demonstrates how to perform a control test and INR test, step-by-step so maybe you and Steve can watch it tonight!!
Have you put the control solutions and test strips in the fridge? They keep up until the expiry date that way, otherwise they last 60 days. If you're taking them out of the fridge for a while (eg if you go on holiday) and putting them back in, they can be out for a total of 60 days but not past the expiry date. When Jim's arrived his neighbour signed for it and didn't tell us until we went to ask the next day, despite the warning on the side "the contents of this package may require refrigeration"!!!
And yes, it was me that had to do all the reading too and work it all out, although for some reason Jim can't do a test when I'm in the room now :rolleyes: Gets all flustered and gets blood everywhere but on the target spot . He's been using it since April and all tests have been pretty darned close to the hospital results. Just need to convince the haematologist he can do it now - that's all in the pipeline at the moment!
Good luck!
Gemma.

Hi Donna

Don't worry, you'll do fine. It's alot easier, IMHO than the protime machine. We just love it!!! Good luck and have fun with it.

Evelyn

Thanks all. Still haven't had a decent amount of time to sit and fiddle. Will tackle it this weekend. Hope he doesn't bleed to death....bit too messy to clean!!!

Hi
I have the protime machine but I was really scared at first but I knew when I put my mind to it I could do it. I made my mistakes but after a couple of weeks I got it down pretty good now it goes pretty smooth. I love it. It keeps me from going to the Dr. all the time. I had my surgery in 3/02 and I am still checking mine anywhere form two to three times a week. Mu daughter the RN & I have started controling my INR ourselves. The Dr's made such aa mess of it.

We did it, although with a 1.5 reading either Steves inr is out, or the machine. We will wait for the comparison from the pathology. This is why we wanted it!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back