Ottawagal is back in the hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bit of an update.

Yesterday I had to go to the Ottawa Heart Institute for my cardiac rehab assessment. I had intended on visiting her while I was there, but there is now a big sign on the front doors about limiting visitation to one person at a time due to H1N1, so I decided not to bother her.

However, after my rehab appointment, I had to go up to the 3rd floor to my surgeon's office, and I just happened to see her in the hallway. We only talked briefly and she said she was doing OK (all things considered) and had hoped to be out yesterday, but that was being delayed as they were waiting for some test results.

Hopefully she gets out soon and gets on the road to recovery.

Finally Home Again-There's No Place Like Home

Finally Home Again-There's No Place Like Home

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for your well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers after I was re-admitted a week ago. Thanks to Dale for posting a new thread on my status.

Warning newbies: you may not want to read this posting.

Well, I was finally discharged for the second time late yesterday after spending another 7 days in hospital (total of 16 days). After coming home first time around, I didn't feel right but figured this was par for the course (as I had some post op complications i.e. pleural effusion, collapsed left lobe, breathing issues, bleeding issues, heart rates problems, nausea etc.)

The night after my first discharge I had a fever and chills, fast heart rate, was short of breath and felt extremely weak. By morning I was alot worse. I called the hospital and ended up being re-admitted and put in isolation, on oxygen, and different courses of medication were attempted to get my heart rate and the post cardiotomy inflammatatory syndrome (which was the final diagnosis) under control. They also had to rule out H1N1 and endocarditis (which they did-Amen!).

I am starting to feel better and stronger and even see that little light at the end of the tunnel. I am still dealing with shortness of breath which is attributed to a collapsed left lobe and slight pleural effusion. I was told exercise, breathing and walking is what will help these issues. They upped my metropolol dose which is bringing down the heart rate.

Yesterday, they did another CT scan to rule out a pulmonary embolism before I could go home. It was a VERY long day.

Although it has been a bumpy ride and there were some dark moments, I am now on the upswing and can see my strength coming back (which is very encouraging). My family and friends as well as hospital staff have been amazing throughout all this. I couldn't have done it without them and of course the VR.com family. Now I UNDERSTAND you!!! To all of you who have travelled this path, I have a new compassion and understanding for you all. I don't know if I could have ever been prepared for this, but through the grace of God I have made it over the mountain.

I told my surgeon that my new Edwards Perimount Valve better last me a while because I don't think I am up for this ride anytime soon. As difficult as this experience was, in hindisght, it looks like I have some bleeding issues, so I guess that was the way to go.

Thank you again for all your messages. My husband read them to me over the phone and I felt like you were all there with me.

Good news is that I didn't need anything done to the pulmonary valve!!

It's so good to hear from you and that you're back home. Hopefully your recovery will go well from here on out. Take care :) .

Glad to hear that your home now. relax and breathe deeply. I hope all your hospital trips are behind you and that the rest of your recovery is smooth sailing.

Take one day at a time Wanda, I'm so glad to hear your back at home...now is when you really realize there is no place like home :)

Wanda, welcome home! Glad to read that you are doing so much better and I hope that your road to recovery is a smooth one from now on.

Nadine

Wanda I am delighted that you are home
I needed some good news, its been a long weekend

Latest posts

Back