One year follow up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cldlhd

I was supposed to have my one year follow-up with my surgeon, Dr Joseph Bavaria, but I just received a letter yesterday that he was elected President of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons so apparently I'll be meeting with two of his nurse practitioners instead. Bit of a bummer as I had a few things I was looking forward to asking him. The nurse practitioners are qualified and more than competent but they're not the surgeon. I know there are a lot of people out here with worse problems but figured I'd vent a little.

I'm impressed about his election. Surely he has trained the nurse practitioners to a highly competent level. Any questions they cannot answer can be passed along to him, don't you think?

I'm impressed as well, it's definitely a good sign . They are highly competent and I'm sure they can pass most questions along but the reason why he's cancelling the appointments for himself is , I assume, because he's going to busy with his new post .

Well - lucky you! I never was scheduled for any surgical follow up past the 5-week point. At that point, my surgeon returned me to my cardio for ongoing care. Not that it has been any sort of a problem, but nonetheless, I'm also impressed that they keep contact with patients after the immediate surgical recovery.

cldlhd;n860840 said:
I think I saw him at 4 weeks if I remember correctly.
I only saw my surgeon at 8 weeks for follow up and was discharged after that to the care of my cardiologist. I did contact the surgeon by email with some questions some time later though and she replied to me. Perhaps if the nurse practitioners can't answer your questions they will be able to ask Dr Bavaria and get back to you ?

Back