One week to go

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bob

Well it is one week before I go to Swedish Hospital in Seattle for pre-op and then the next morningsurgery is finally here. Am trying to be kool about this but that is only on the surface. What a month was December. First the news that MV surgery was required, then it grew to a possible aortic and mitral, then we sold our house, bought another house, then since I am a newfoundland dog rescue person I got a call to rescue a dog and my wife was pink slipped on her job the day before her health benefits started. Was there Christmas somewhere amongst that month? So now that I have a week to go we are packing to move four days before surgery and I have to place my newfies for the surgery week and get my wife back on my insurance policy. "Oh poor me I whine, how can this be? Why is life so mean to little old me? I have no time left to feel sorry for myself". Then I read on the forum about someone who has really got a problem and somehow moving, dogs, double valve and insurance aren't so bad. It sure as hell is keeping me busy. And I must add I know that out there are you people who have made it through this thing and you will be wishing me the best. Thats comforting. Thank you! Please remember me on Jan 15.

It sounds like a trying time for you Bob.
It's better to get as many loose ends tied up before your operation because you certainly won't be up to it during your recovery.

If I could offer one piece of advice? Take some time for yourself a few days prior to your date and try not to worry about all the tough things. It's important to concentrate on you - and forget all the daily troubles.

Don't feel bad about being a little whiny. I think a lot of us feel/felt the same way. It's good to vent and get those feelings out, so feel free to do it on this forum. It's therapeutic.

Good luck and yes, I'll be thinking of you on Jan 15th and sending some good wishes your way.
Kev

Wow!!! Well, at least it's all before the surgery rather than right after it. ;) All of that will certainly keep you busy. Here's hoping for success in all your endeavors in a happy and healthy new year.

-- roy --

Hi Bob

All I can say is "W O W" You certainly have been through quite a bit during the last month, but ALL WILL BE WELL, SOON!!!! I will put you in my prayers.....nope, both of you in my prayers from now through your trip up the mountain. I wish you the best.

Evelyn

You certainly will be in our prayers as this next couple of weeks play out.

Don't feel too bad about whining. It is true that others have it worse but that does not diminish the impact you feel during your own life changing events.

Best wishes

Bill

One Day at a time

One Day at a time

Bob..Be sure and set up the new house for the things you will need when you come home..Others can wait. ...Did you get a weekly pill box.with days of the week..keep out plenty of pillows..Take care of yourself first..plenty of time for smaller things later. Bet someone will love to get the dog soon. Bonnie

Hi Bob,

I just read your interesting post and I see that you have several things to think and/or worry about. Well, the good side is that they help keep you from dwelling too much on the upcoming surgery.

Reading between the lines, or perhaps remembering how I felt when I was where you are now (waiting) and empathizing, I wanted to try to reassure you that everything will go well. You will not have much pain and the pain killers they give you will mask it almost totally. You'll be a little out of it for a few days while the various drugs work their way out of your system, you won't have much of an appitite, which is good because most food will taste pretty bad anyway, and you'll be tired. However, things improve day by day, expecially if you work on the breathing exercises and walk as far and as often as you can every day. You will not be allowed to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds of so for several weeks, nor drive your car. However, in about 8 weeks, most things should be relatively back to normal, and it keeps getting better from there, if you continue to work at it.

Don't worry too much about the other problems that you are dealing with now. Concentrate on keeping a positive mental attitude and plan for how you will spend the many extra years that this successful surgery will add to your life.

The time between now and the surgery is really the hardest part. Good luck handling it. Just take it day by day. Everything will fall into place.

Best wishes,

Ron K

Busy, busy, busy.

I hope you get most everything straightened out before the 15th. But don't worry about it otherwise. Like it's been said before, try to find some time for yourself. Everything else will fall into place. I will definitely be thinking of you on the 15th. Take care of yourself, and we'll talk later.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes

Hi Bob,
I'll be thinking of you in New Mexico on, before and after January 15'th. I had my AVR on April 12, and, looking back, 2002 was a heck of a great year for me -- and 2003 will be even better. You will do just fine.
Prayers and best wishes,
Don
AVR; 4/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Pre Surgery prep?

Pre Surgery prep?

Thanx to you all. I have read and re-read your comments. It is good to know you are out there waiting for me to join the fraternity. Good people you are!
Question. What kinds of things should I take to the hospital or have waiting when I get back home. Lots of Pillows and a pill box was mentioned. Why? Anything else?
Question. What can I do to help my wife as we go through this? I feel like she is carying a hugh rock that she can't let go. How can I help her? Guys what did you do?
Thanx, Bob

Hi Bob

Set your house up so that you have access to any and all things that you may need without having to stretch to reach them, such as pots and pans, food stuff, personal hygiene, etc. If you have to go up and down stairs, be sure all path ways are clear as well as the stairs. Pretty much all common sense stuff. You'll want the pillows for when you sleep and need to cough, sneeze or anything like that. It can be painful without them.

As for helping your wife, maintain the most positive and best attitude possible before surgery. If she's never been through this, it's hard for someone to tell you how to prepare her. Hopefully, she'll be by your side throughout your hospital stay. You'll really need her to be your advocate and to help you with simple things. The bad part here is, when your out of surgery and recovering, your emotional state may be all screwed up. You may have a few crying for no real reason spells, etc. She needs to know about this and that it's perfectly normal following surgery. You also may be short tempered and may direct that at her. She needs to know that this to will pass and to support you no matter what is going on.

There is no one answer since everyone is different. She'll do alright and if she feels that shes being overwhelmed, get her to come to us here at the forum. We can help her sort through things that she may or may not see and experience. :)

Last edited:
Dear Bob - sounds like you and your lovely wife are pretty much overwhelmed by all of this - but to have accomplished as much as you have, looks like ya'll are organized. Of course, this surgery is the biggie and it will take place no matter what else is happening so just do what you can till the DAY comes along and none of the rest will matter much. The backseat will be where it goes. When you go to the hospital, be sure you take a too-big shirt to come home in - and be sure you have a little pillow. They will no doubt give you one in the hospital, tho - but make sure you bring it home as it will become your very best friend. You be sure to make it an extension of your arm - even take it to the bathroom with you. Try not to do the 'evil sneeze' if you can stave it off as it is truly evil. Prepare to hunt a comfortable place to sleep once you get home. Like cats, you will have to explore several different spots before you find one that fits. Take your pain pills when you feel you need them as they help to get you well - very important. And be sure to continue use of your spirometer (the breathing thingy). Bonnie will come along and tell you how important is is to walk - we assigned that task to her, you know.

As for your wife, she really should come in and read a few of these posts because if she is not up on things, she needs to be. There are lots of spouses who come instead of the patient and they help each other just as we try for you. She needs to know some of the things she might expect that will help her to cope.

You will both be fine once you get to the top of the mountain and the other side is truly beautiful. God bless

Pill box

Pill box

Bob, you will have scripts to take home with you from hospital..Many different pills for a week or so..They will be taken at different times during the day. Let your wife set them up..and let her write down the time you need to take them..At the end of the day you can see if you took them all..Keep the pain pills out and take them as directed.....Your new house will probably not be set up..so walk around the boxes, ect..lol...I enjoyed cold juices...Any pets? Watch out they don't jump up on you...You will be fine. Bonnie

HI Bob-

I've been out of the loop for a few days, and I see that you're having your surgery on the 15th of this month. I put it on the calendar, so we can "track" you.

I had a week like you described just before Joe went into the hospital recently. The absolutely only way to get through something like that is to triage your life, and resolve each step as it becomes critical. When you have gotten the major stuff squared away, then you only have the piddly stuff left, and that falls into place pretty easily.

Please remember that the surgery you are about to have is life saving. It will prolong your life and give you a better quality of life after the initial healing phase. The surgeons who do this are in and out of people's hearts on a daily basis. To you and I it sounds like a pretty horrific thing to do, opening up a person's heart, but they know the inside of the heart like the back of their hands. Everything you have in there, they have probably seen before and know how to treat. You will be fine, and magically, right before your surgery, you may experience a sort of calmness. Many people do. At that time, you will know it's the right thing to do, and that you and your family can get through the surgery and healing process.

If it weren't for all the surgeries my husband has had, he wouldn't be here. He's been battling with his heart problems since he was a young teen. He's 71 years old now. He's still battling, but he's a magnificent warrior like all of the patients on this site, and their families also. Your wife will be going through this with you, and it can help tremendously to have people to share the feelings with. It's helps me so very much to have this group to commune with. We all "get it", like no others you will see in your life, because we've been through it in one way or another. Please show her how to access the site. We want to hear how things went for you, and will be waiting to hear from her or someone who can post for you. There are many spouses who can share their experiences and help her through the rough spots.

I've been through many, many surgeries with Joe and many, many other major things with him, so I'd be happy to answer any questions she has.

We all offer a warm and friendly "cyber" hand to be with you now and after your surgery.

best wishes, Bob and wife.

Bob, Best of luck to you. My surgery is scheduled for Monday, Jan 6...Its been a very hectic week so I can sympathise with you. You will do fine. Im having mitral valve replacement. This will be my second mitral valve surgery. Take care, Bring pajamas with you to the hospital as well as toiletries.

Your wife will adjust to this situation. Tell her how much you appreciate her being there for you. She probably knows you would do the same for her (but tell her anyway).

Best of luck and keep us posted. We care alot!! Hugs to you.

Whoa Bob!
You've been through a lot and it's right before your surgery! I hope things have calmed down at least a little. Don't worry about "whining"...that's what we're here for...for support...whatever it is.

I'm not sure if you were the one asking about Medicare and what it covers but i think that this number might be helpful to you or others on Medicare.

National Medicare Hotline: 1 800 633-4227

Best of luck on the 15th Bob, I'm sure you'll come through with flying colors, (what ever the heck that means) :)

My wife got also laid off a few weeks before my surgery, it actually worked out well in that she was around for as long as I needed her to be.

Swedish is a good hospital and has a good staff, had I not gone to the UDUB, I would have gone there and had actually planned to talk to a couple of surgeons there, I just felt good about the guy (Verrier) at UW.

Again, best of luck and see you on the other side.

Hi Bob

I just wanted too say that things will get better for you and your family

Try and take some time and relax,

We will all be thinking of you as you face yor surgery and recovery

Keep smiling

Jan

Latest posts

Back