One Week Post-Op from second OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

Well I would've posted an update a little sooner but I honestly just didn't feel like it, haha.

So I had my second OHS last Thursday on 15 January. I chose a mechanical valve this time (ended up getting the ATS....St. Judes was first option but doc said he didn't like the way it was going to fit once he was operating), and I also had my ascending aortic aneurysm fixed. I spend 5 days in the hospital post op and was back home on the 20th. The first two days after surgery I recall being in more pain than I was last time, however by the fourth and final day I was in the hospital I was feeling pretty awesome (under the circumstances). Being only 26 yrs old and in pretty good shape before surgery truly has it's advantages.

My last two nights at home I have actually slept really well and haven't needed much pain medication at all. I can pretty much walk and stand for as long as I want right now, and I'm able to climb the stairs in my house with no problem (other than a quickly elevated heart rate which I know to be normal). My INR is still too low, so working to get it in the 2.5-3.0 range right now. Had my first blood test yesterday and will be going back on the 26th for another blood test. Once I get therapeutic I do intend on looking in to getting a home test kit.

I am already able to pretty much max out the incentive spirometer on every breath now. Starting Sunday, I'll be mooching off my girlfriend's gym membership and going to start bouncing around different stationary cardio equipment.

Overall, I'm feeling really good for a week out. Better than I remember feeling last time on the first OHS. I feel confident that my mechanical valve was the right choice this time (only got 2 1/2 years from my Ross Procedure), and I can't wait to be fully healed and hopefully get in the best shape of my life.

So glad to hear! I had my surgery on the 15th of January as well where I got my AV replaced with a St. Jude mechanical. Glad to hear you were home after just five days. I've been in the hospital for a week since they were trying to get my INR up but I'm going home today. Congrats to both of us!

Being young definitely does have its advantages with this kind of surgery. I'm 23 and 7 days post op and I can stand and walk around as long as I want to too. I still can't believe I even had heart surgery, doesn't really feel like it. I'm just taking Tylenol for pain.

Just remember not to get too carried away with feeling good and overdoing cardio and lifting things over 10 pounds. But I'm sure you know that already since you've gone through this before :)

Congratulations! You are doing great. If you get tired or sore, please take it easy - you don't want to overdo it so quickly after surgery. :)

Very happy to hear both you cewilk and ajc1991 are doing great at 1 week post op ! Gives me alot hope however more than both your ages combind. I go for my first work up appoint on Monday ! After 3 weeks of being totally out of my mind .. I have finally settled down a bit and not quite so anxious. Continued success you two.

Congratulations cewilk and ajc1991 on your respective successful surgeries! I am 8 weeks past my surgery and doing great, just a note of caution though: My biggest disappointment in the recovery process was to realize it was not a linear thing. I expected to feel a little better each and every day. Some days I did, but some days I got slapped back and reminded I just had some major surgery. At home you do way more than you did in the hospital (more stairs, walking, fixing meals, showering and even the effort of finding a comfortable position to sleep) and those things seem normal and minor compared to life before surgery but they can kick your butt.

Anyway, just make sure to give your young body time to heal. There will be plenty of time, in a just few short months, to take on the world..and I wish you both all the best when you do!

Latest posts

Back