One week out and getting therea

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cldlhd

Well it's been a week and it's definitely on the upside, thanks to all out here for the great combo of knowledge and support.
I
The way my wife describes it when I awoke from the operation I was similar to King Kong when he came to and realized he was chained to a stage in Manhattan and no longer on skull island I tried to leap up from table and was yelling , probably about the tube, sounds pretty crazy to me but I don't remember any of it . Kind of like those nights when I was younger and I'd bump into people and they'd tell me all the crazy **** I did the previous Friday , Saturday or whenever. Although I imagine those nights were a bit more fun. Doing good but had a few bumps. Shortly after I came to they discovered a large bubble of air between my lung and my ribcage which was preventing my lung from inflating. So some Dr came in and told me to put my arm over my head and then they put sheets over my head and told me not to get claustrophobic because I had a breathing tube in my nose.He told me not to move because he was going to punch a hole between my ribs to let the air out and if I moved he might put it thru my lung or spleen, so at that point I knew he was good with motivation. He did his thing and it sounded like I backed over the spikes then I breathed in . They decided that as long as the hole was there they might as well add a drainage tube .
The uncommon but not entirely rare other problem I had was that I had a cath up my ....errrr...ummmm..... so long my bladder decided that apparently it wasn't needed anymore so when I felt the need to pee it was a no go . The solution was a tool that must have been loved by Nurse Ratchet- a straight cath . That was the most pain I had thru the whole event ......until I had to pee again and still nothing, the 2nd time was not good to say the least. The third time we waited and it finally worked , thank God because if it came to it I had a plan to grab that rod off them on their 3rd "assault" and jam it thru my temple.
The results apparently were great, I say apparently because I never saw the surgeon ,he told my Mom and Wife while I was still under. The post surgery TEE showed no regurgitation , EF 70% and no wall motion abnormalities. He said the 'numbers on the valve were optimal' and all in all my Mom said he seemed very pleased with the result, and himself-ha! My follow up TEE showed a LVEF of 55% which strangely enough is lower than what it was 5 months ago ( 63% ) . Maybe that's up to the heart being in a weakened state and it'll improve. Also my resting heart rate was normally 55 to 70 bpm and now it's around 105. I assume that's due to the surgery also.
Through it all the staff was great and very helpful and I have to give it up to my wife who slept every night in the room with me while my Mom went back to the comfy hotel. If only we had the operation at Penn Presbyterian which was built in the 90's and is much more modern than Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania . All recovery rooms are private with a couch that pulls out into a bed . She's always suffering because of me one way or the other...

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you're out of hospital now ! But what a ride as they say with things stuck in your lungs and in your bladder ! Poor you. I hope things go more easily now for you. I never rememered the ventilator either so don't know if I yelled or what ! My husband took a photo of me when I was asleep on it and looking very peaceful too.

My EF was lower post surgery on the follow up echo at four weeks, the echo even stated that I had left ventricular hypertrophy which I never had before surgery ! The cardiologist said it was just my heart reacting to the surgery and, sure enough, the hypertrophy disappeared and the EF went up again at the next echo.

I know what you mean by your wife always suffering because of you one way or another - that's how it is with my husband, right now he's suffereing becasue of my jaw and mouth problem…..I don't know what I'd do without him. What's one thing we all need most when we've had heart surgery ? A spouse/lover to look after and support us and put up with all our troubles.

Do take it easy now, but do your walking exercise inbetween resting…..

Chris I am so glad to hear that you are doing well so soon after your surgery. I know what you were expecting to have done when you were going in- I have one question- did you get a mechanical valve? I was a little confused as to whether or not you were getting one. We have to give it up to our spouses- especially the ladies- we guys tend to be- ehem- not so manly under these conditions and they stand right by us. Glad you made it Kong- you have a new nick.

Welcome home. Chris, and thanks for the detailed post. Sorry to read about the bumps but you're over them now, hopefully. When we were texting you gave me a lot of facts and figures like your cross clamp time, cerebral profusion time, etc. What kind of report did you get from the hospital with that info? Did you ask for it or did they simply provide it. What valve did you get and what size if you had a replacement. i forget exactly what you were having done. Anyway, great to see you back in print here. Best wishes for smooth sailing from this point on.

Jim

Good Stuff Chris

now, don't climb any buildings with your wife tucked under your arm for at least 8 weeks ... ya hear! Besides those biplanes had vickers mounted on em ... that's .303 rounds ...

Yea that'll cut you in half pell...... It was repaired, the report was given to my wife. Not sure of all the technical details but he said the valve numbers were optimum,the degree of separation between the buttons etc.... I didn't hear any of it because I was out of it. The surgeon told my wife and my mom. They said he was very animated.

cldlhd;n852935 said:
.. Not sure of all the technical details but he said the valve numbers were optimum,the degree of separation between the buttons etc.... I didn't hear any of it because I was out of it. The surgeon told my wife and my mom..
hope you got a printed copy too .. I mean not that most of it means much to the likes of me, its just that if you've got it on paper you can refer to it later ... memory is fuzzy.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. My EF dropped after the surgery and was higher a few weeks later. Also, my heart rate was higher for the first few weeks as well.

skeptic49;n852921 said:
When we were texting you gave me a lot of facts and figures like your cross clamp time, cerebral profusion time, etc. What kind of report did you get from the hospital with that info? Did you ask for it or did they simply provide it. What valve did you get and what size if you had a replacement.
Hi Jim - don't know if you'll read this before your surgery, but I gave a short list of questions to my anaesthetist about the operation that I wanted answered, like how long was the op, how long was I on by pass, what valve did I get. I gave it to him before the op and he gave it back to me filled in afterwardss the next day when he checked up on me in ICU. (No reason not to give the list of questions about the op to your surgeon if you prefer - it's just my anaesthetist was more communicative than my surgeon !) I also got a copy of the Operation Notes about a week later which gives full details. Ask for a copy - they can only say no but they'll probably say yes, becasue why not ?

Chris - Welcome Back!

Sorry to hear that you had to hit those speed bumps. That Foley Catheter can be a real pain. Sometimes they cause internal swelling, and then upon removal. . . well, nothing happens, even when it should. I had that problem some 15 years ago after a bout with kidney stones. Had to wear a bag for a full week, then take meds for another week. They probably didn't give you the meds (like Flo-Max), because these lower blood pressure, which might complicate other elements of your recovery. At least your problem didn't last too long, but I'm sure any of that was too long.

Take it slow now, and follow the instructions provided. Be sure to ask about cardiac rehab. If a program is available and is within your reach, it is well worth the time.

Have a question- anyone out here have an IV or other incision become infected after they got home? The spot where the line went in my neck became red and swollen 2-3 days after coming home from the hospital . The next day I saw my primary care physician and he gave me a 10 day run of antibiotics called augmentin. It's a combo of 875mg of amoxicillin and 125mg clavulanic acid taken twice a day. He gave it a generic diagnosis of cellulitis which apparently is usually caused by 'staph' , so not good. I'd been cleaning the area with the special soap twice a day like a good boy and showering at least once a day. It started getting better 2 days after starting the antibiotics and seems to be progressing but seeing that my graft and all that stitching were only 9 days old when the infection reared it's head obviously I'm worried about getting something like IE. Thanks for any and all info.

I got a urinary tract infection during the week I was in hospital after AVR - took them ages to twig I had infection as they put my raised temperature down to post surgical 'pyrexia'. Once they did a test and found I had the UTI (from the catheter for sure) I was put on amoxicillin. I too was worried about IE as pre-surgery I had joked with a cardiac nurse that having a catheter would give me a break from getting up to go to the loo (I have frequency) and the nurse very seriously said they keep patients on a catheter for as short a time as possible due to risk of infection and of that infection going to the new heart valve. Anyway, the amoxicllin did the trick and I didn't get IE.

Btw, I'm right now on a course augmentin myself because of possible tooth infection (and risk of it giving me IE). I think it's a good antibiotic.

Just keep an eye on how you're feeling and go back to the doc if you are in any doubt.

Back