One month post transplant today. Doing fine.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jessica_B.

Hi everyone,

After experiencing rejection two weeks ago and having been given all sorts of drugs to resolve the problem I got a pacemaker last Tuesday. With the pacemaker recovery really kicked into high gear! I'm on the treadmill, am now managing 10 minutes, and as soon as I heal up some more I'm going on the bike. There's still no hope of going home anytime soon, although I have been given half a promise of moving into our own place very close to the hospital until December when the risk of acute rejection will have diminished considerably.

Someone said - can't remember who exactly - that transplant must be the ultimate heart surgery nightmare and that people with valve replacements shouldn't complain that much. Well, it's true in terms of heart transplant being the very final resort but the surgery in itself is not worse than valve replacement. Because of denervement I have very little pain from the new heart. The difficulties have been found mostly in the immuno suppression therapy. It's been hard to get used to and above all, the omniprecent risk of infection is still one I have to learn to live with.

What else? Well, we are all settling in and I for one have to get used to the idea that I will most likely have many good years before me. Then comes the dreaded question; now what? What shall I do with the rest of my life?
I will find my way again eventually. For now, I will rejoice over the fact that I have a choice in the first place.

Once pathology was through with my old heart I got to keep the artificial valves (av and mv). I will keep them to look at if the pity parade ever gets the music playing again ;).

My very very best to everyone!

/Jessica

Wow Jessica-

This is so absolutely fantastic!! What a gift you've been given. You are certainly a very special person.

Your life will slowly fall into place as you recover your health and I wish you many, many years of happy living.

Keep in the sunshine!

Keep in the sunshine!

Wow! Jessica it is so exciting to share this journey with you. You should know that we have all been praying for you and keeping you in our hearts. Keep us posted, we really care. Good luck!

Dear Jessica,
I'm so glad you posted... I've been trying to keep everyone here up-to-date on your progress, but feel I have failed miserably!

I think that it would be great if you could get an apartment. Would Jesper be there with you? Silly question, huh? lol

I have sent you an ICQ request... I know that you are not at your computer, so don't worry about it.

I think of you often (whenever I look at my plate! lol) and all of my other heart friends. You all are such a big part of my life now that I just have to keep tabs on all of you!

I found a great CML support site and have made lots of new acquaintances there, but my heart friends will always be first in MY HEART!

Keeping your valves in a jar? Is this an "Eleanor Rigby" thing? hee hee (You're probably too young to remember THAT!!!)

Take care Jess and please send me an email whenever you can.

Love,
Zazzy

Jessica - you have been in my heart every day and it is like a miracle to hear from you. Tears. What joy for all of us that we are able to share a little with you. You are truly blessed to be able to go on with your life (with care, of course, for awhile) and as you gain your strength things will be back where they belong and I know that you will enjoy every single added day you have been given. God bless:)

Jessica
What an inspiration you are to me!! I am so happy to hear you are doing so well, and planning your new life ahead. A transplant is in the future for me, and I hear more and more good stories about them, successes all.

The thought of walking for 10 minutes on a treadmill gives me goose bumps!! I cant remember walking for 10 minutes in years! How marvelous!! Im so very happy for you!
mindy

Jessica

Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope everything
continues to go good for you.

:) Judy

Made in America with Swedish Parts

Made in America with Swedish Parts

Greetings, Jessica:

I'm very happy to hear you are doing well. I have been in contact via another bulletin board with a gentleman from Virginia, USA who is a heart transplantee. His name is Ed Linz. He said he would e-mail you anytime. His e-mail adress is: [email protected]

He has published a book on his transplant experience called "Life Row, A Case Study on How to Survive a Medical Crisis." It is quite good, and I'm just a valve guy. Albeit, I'm all Swede, too. I have a sweatshirt with the "Made in America with Swedish Parts." I am from the Bishop Hill area of Illinois. You may have heard of this little prairie town that is a part of Swedish history?

Take good care and send Ed some e-mail if you feel like it.

Cheers!

PerryA

Latest posts

Back