On-X valve clicking question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidswife

So, I finally heard David's On-X valve clicking today and it was a beautiful sound! I had been asking him whether he heard it and he kept saying that he hadn't noticed it. This afternoon when he was laying down and the TV was off and there was no other noise in the room he called me over to listen to it. It was a steady click, click, click... and I just smiled as I listened to it. The miracle of modern medicine.:) Tonight, though, when he layed down to go to sleep for the night I went over to listen to it again and this time it was not a steady click, click, click... but a click, click, pause, click, click, pause... Is this normal? Now this beautiful sound that made me smile earlier today is making me a little anxious.:( Has anyone else noticed that their valve makes different clicking sounds at different times?

Nadine

Ask him to roll over on his back, or other side, or position his arms so that they don't cause his shoulders to move towards each other. Then listen again. And tell David Not to Slouch!

Irregular Heart Beats can have LOTS of possible causes, most of them benign. Position is one possible explanation. So is the 'Electrical Rhythm' of the heart which can get 'discombobulated' by all the cutting, sewing, and general trauma of surgery. It can take several weeks to months for the Heart to "Settle Back Down" after surgery.

Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC's) and Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC's) are quite common (and almost always benign). They can sound like a 'missed beat' but in actuality, one beat is moved up in time almost immediately after the previous beat. These can best be identified by an EKG or a 24 / 48 Hour Holter Monitor or 30 day Event Monitor.

Do you have a Stethoscope? I found I could pretty well 'guess' what kind of arrhythmia I was having by the sound / pattern once I was able to correlate the sound with the pattern. (PAC's / PVC's were "regularly irregular). I Quit going to the ER for Arrhythmias. (Doctors HATE it when patients do this, especially if they are right :)

Atrial Fibrilation can be wildly irregular and/or quite fast.
I called it a "Whack-o Heartbeat". A-Fib can cause clots to form. The usual protection is to prescribe Coumadin. Mechanical Valvers are already protected.

There a Several Different Types of Beta Blockers that can help control / prevent arrhythmias. Many of us are NOT fond of Doc's who prescribe Amiodarone (the Sledge Hammer of anti-arrhythmics) as their first line of defense (because it Works and it gets the patient out of the hospital or their office). Do a Search for Amiodarone if you want to find out why (for the Brave Only).

'AL Capshaw'

For quite some time after my last OHS, I would have irregular beats every time I tried to sleep on my left side. If I turned on my right side, things would immediately clear up. I avoided my left side and then one night tried again and everything was normal.

I now have chronic a-fib so it doesn't matter what position I am in.;):rolleyes:

Remember that David has a pacer and defib implant so he is covered. Try not to worry too much but, if it really bothers you, call the doctor.

Hey AL!

Thanks for writing back so quickly! I was hoping to hear from you. David was in the same exact position both times - lying on his back in bed with his arms at his sides. And he has a pacemaker so can he still get arrhythmias with a pacemaker? He is also on Coreg (6.25mg 2x/day). That's a beta blocker, isn't it? I don't have a stethoscope but I'm going to go listen again now while he's sleeping.

Nadine

Hi Nadine. The tick-tick-tick is a comforting sound:). I also have some skipped or out of sinc beats from time to time....so does my wife, a retired registered nurse. Like Al says, they are probably nothing to worry about. I think that we are super conscious of any change in heart sound, rhythm, etc. It's kinda like bringing a new infant home from the hospital....for a few days, or weeks, we jump at every little sound:eek:....but the baby survives in spite of us:p.

Hi Gina!

I guess we were typing at the same time! So the clicking of the valve corresponds to the beating of his heart? I just thought the valve did it's own thing but I guess that makes sense now. It's the beating of the heart that makes the valve open and close? And I just asked AL about the pacemaker and arrhythmias. I'm not sure if he is 100% pacemaker dependent or not. If he is not then he can still have arrhythmias and the pacemaker will straighten them out? If he is 100% dependent then I'm assuming he can't have an arrhythmia, is that correct? I'm going to call my BIL (the cardiologist) in the morning.

I told myself I wasn't going to stay up late again because lately I think I've been more tired than David! Oh well, I'm going for one more listen and then I'm going to sleep. I'll let you all know what I find out in the morning.

Thanks again!
Nadine:)

Hi Dick! Thanks for your reply! Wow, lots of people up late! Is it after 1am in Kentucky too or are you an hour earlier? Coming from someone who has been ticking for 42 years, your words make me feel so much better.

Now I'm really going to sleep! I'll update you all in the morning.

Nadine

Nadine,

I am not entirely sure but I think the pacer can determine which irregular beats to "treat" and which can be left alone. If I am correct, then he can have irregular beats even tho he has a pacer.

Yes, the clicks correspond to the heart beat. You are hearing the valve close based on the blood flow through his system. The blood flow makes the valve work just like his original - there is no mechanical activity to the workings of the valve. Pretty cool, huh?

When I'm laying in bed and listening to my On-X it's definately not a regular beat ! To quote "And I" from my favourite film Withnail And I, "My heart's ticking like a f#cked clock!"
However, since my operation it's been listened to by Dr's and surgeons alike and all say it's working nicely ?
A heightened awareness and fear I should think is usually the only real problem ? But with anything related to your heart, if in doubt have it looked at, or listened to atleast ?

Nadine,

It would be wise to pick a Stethoscope (inexpensive model at any Pharmacy is 'good enough') and a Blood Pressure Instrument.

These instruments can save many a trip to the ER if you can accurately describe what is going on to the "on call" Doc, especially if these issues tend to resolve themselves after a few hours. I had several 'discussions' with Docs during Late Night and after telling them my issues tended to resolve in a few hours regardless of what protocol was used (including just sitting calmly), they would agree to 'let it go until morning' if I promised to get checked out if it hadn't resolved by morning. Never had to go in and my Doc's were OK with that.

'AL C'

Nadine...

I can hear my valve when I lie down (also On-X) and its not a consistent click, click, click. I don't have a pre surgery frame of reference because I never listened to my heart beat but when I brought it up with my cardio he told me that odds are my heart was already doing this pre-surgery. He said the valve is doing its job and not to worry about it.

I honestly don't think its anything you need to be concerned with at this point and given that David has a pacemaker I think you have the extra protection in case his heart rythem does go out of wack.

Hi from Ken I have lived with out of beats all my life . I drink coffee and that makes it worse . After a life time if they seem normal to me and I do not even think about it . Thats just the way it has been for my intire life. I think if the Dr. is ok with it your safe.

The pacemaker should handle any really dangerous arrythmias, but only logs the benign ones. When they interrogate the pacemaker they will be able to see anything abnormal even if it wasn't dangerous abnormal. Did they send you a unit that allows you to download the pacemaker data over the phone? You can send it in and they will call you if there are any problems.

Latest posts

Back