On the fish thing (cholesterol)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Here's a site I read this morning re fish and heart benefits, for those with cholesterol prbls:

Note from Sophia

Dear Friends,

Brand-new research puts fish at the top of the list of a heart-healthy cuisine. Three separate important studies reinforce previous findings showing that eating fish can dramatically reduce a woman's risk of heart disease. Taken together the studies show that incorporating fish into your diet can cut your risk of heart attack, stroke and sudden death. Get the details!

* Slash Your Risk of Fatal Heart Attack by 50 Percent
* Find Out How to Use Fish Oil Supplements for Heart Health

Just how does fish help your heart? Experts theorize that a compound called omega-3 fatty acid is behind fish's heart-bolstering qualities. Omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel, may lower the risk of developing an irregular heart rhythm and reduce blood cholesterol and clotting -- all risk factors for heart disease.

* Get the Lowdown on Omega-3 Fatty Acids
* Fish Also Slashes Stroke Risk

To your health,
Sophia Cariati
Editor, iVillageHealth Newsletters
iVillage.com
Solutions for Your Life
iVillageHealth.com

Lipid Learner

Lipid Learner

I've got a specific question, but before I ask it, I've got an observation: #1.- this is the first post on this group of threads for a long, long, time. #2. - I haven't seen hardly any comment on excercise. Is everybody so concerned about short term stuff that we've forgotten to talk about some longer term stuff ??? Question-- I got my 3 month lipid profile done this past week and was looking forward to some improvements because in general I had been a good boy, lost some weight, have been eating fish at least twice a week, cut way back on the sour mash bourbon, and have been on the stationary bike about 4 or 5 times a week. You already know the rest of the story. The tests came back and most measurements had hardly changed, my triglicerides, however had shot up by about 50%. Is there a particular thing that affects the tryglicerides ? This is pretty frustrating stuff-wonder what would happen if I ate nothing but roots and berries for the next three months ? Anybody had any success with leveraging your lipid lowering ? Chris (yes I said good boy in general -nobody's perfect)

Chris - recently when my bro went for INR, they also did lipid, triglycerides, liver, but nobody told us they were going to do it - the cardio just ordered it and hosp lab did it and they didn't ask if he had fasted-of course, he had not. Naturally triglycerides were high - very high 772. So the cardio office sent some instructions about life style changes - exercise, cut off all fat from meat, no sweets, lose weight, and genes played a part, too. Well the only things he had in the category were the sweets and familial history, so I made him cut out sweets. When we went back for a test (after fasting) his triglycerides were normal. But the above is what you can try. Lifestyle changes............

Maybe a clue ?

Maybe a clue ?

Thanks Hensylee - I think maybe you gave me a clue. The only thing (lifestyle wise) that I have done poorly on might be sweets because I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and have used sweets as part of the cessation process. I've lost weight, modified my diet, excercised religously, taken my Zocar as prescribed, etc. Its gotta be the sweets. Boy, to be successful in the cardio/vascular world you've gotta be a saint (and a saint I aint) I'll run this one by my cardio next time I talk to him. Chris

Triglycerides is sugar based.. i switched from regular to diet soda, and started taking omega 3 fish oil caps.. i go to get my lipids tested next month.. i'll find out if there helping or not.. mine are high, even with taking cholesterol meds.. my problem is i don't excercise (and I know I should) and eat bad.. i'm hoping that once i move back to my home town and be near friends and family and out of this rut i'm in, i'll be back in line with my excercise and diet..

christine

Right on the mark

Right on the mark

You guys are good ! I talked to cardio yesterday, and he affirmed that carbohydrates are the culprit-so it was the sweets. Fish oil is indeed a good suplement to help. Christine-Today, or even yesterday is a good time to start improving those life style issues. I know it can be tough kiddo, but you're messing with wildfire if you let those things go. Sorry-I just felt I needed to do a little preaaching. Chris

i know.. thanks for the boost though.. i'm going back to the gym and back on my healthy choice lunches.. one step at a time..

christine

Keep it up

Keep it up

Atta Girl - you can do it. Remember, you'll feel better after those excercise sessions, the BP will drop, and you can eat a little more food that you like. Meanwhile, I'm struggling with how to get the lipid profile numbers down and the cardio off my back. Maybe if I don't cook those roots and berries ??? Have you seen the new beeakfast cereal that actually has twigs in it ? Think that's going too far.

ccrawford

ccrawford

I just wanted to congrats to you on the quit. You are doing fantastic. I have been somber for two years as of February 3. You keep hanging in there and keep busy. You may go to the smoking cessaion boards for support. I try to get there as often as I can. You keep busy and be good.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Thanks

Thanks

Appreciate the kind words. Its nice saying you are a non smoker (after 40 + years), and I particularly enjoy requesting the non smoking section of the restaurant. I'll be coming up on two months March 3rd. I'm starting to wean away from Wellbutrin now thankfully, because it is giving me some side effects (i think). If any one want some information re cessation, give me your email address and I'll share my experience as well as some very good web sites that helped me. I'm glad the schools are educating the kids re the evils of tobacco. I wouldn't wish "hell week" on anyone. Chris

Taking fish oil to control cholesterol

Taking fish oil to control cholesterol

I have been reading these posts and noticed that there are a number of people taking fish oil who have mechanical valves. Given that you must be on coumadin with a mechanical valve how are you able to take the fish oil capsules. When I watched Dr. Dean Ornish on TV saying that this was a good thing to do I bought the capsules and started taking them as he advised and it really affected my coumadin levels. I called that pharmacist and asked if the fish oil could be the cause and she confirmed that it was so I had to stop taking them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Check out a link

Check out a link

Beverly - my material doesn't address fish oil, but if you go to al's web site - warfarin.com you might find it under his chapter on food interactions. Hope this helps. Chris

Re: Check out a link

Re: Check out a link

Hi Hensylee,

Thanks for posting the article. Like, Beverly as I understand it fish oil and even the actual thing can have an effect on your INR. It's always been difficult for me adding or subtracting meds to get regulated. Suppose if I was on some of these things from the get go it would have been an automatic thing.

Wondering if anyone else has had issues with their INR by just plainly eating fish. Shellfish seems to be ok....figures it's not good for you.:eek:

shellfish is a no-no for people who have high cholesterol, as some here in VR do. Only fish with backbones are ok. No backbone, no eating the seafood and how I love shrimp. Those w/valves and on coumadin need to check out the fish oil thing.

New Data

New Data

Hensylee - The information you got on shellfish was accurate - at the time you got it. In the book "The 8 week Cholesterol Cure" the author talks about this. Apparently they have figured out how to measure this more accurately now, and it turns out shellfish are pretty good for you in terms of the content of bad cholesterol. For example: scallops have only 35mg of chol per 3 1/2 oz servings, king crab has 60 mg, lobster has a little less than 100 mg, so all are acceptable foods on a diet that limits you to no more than 250 mg per day. Shellfish have an added attraction in that they are all typically low in fat. scallops, for example have only .2 grams of fat per serving. I'm personnally glad to see this revision because I love shell fish- no dipping that lobster in melted butter though !!!!!! Chris

Latest posts

Back