Okay another Question: Comfort Level

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Ross. My ascending aorta measured 4.6cm August 2008 and am due for another scan in August and even though I have a team of surgeons in Christchurch, New Zealand, as my brachiocephalic measures 3.0cm as well. I have been advised by a transplant surgeon in Australia that I should not lift anything more than 5.0kg
Look after yourself.

I sure would not be lifting anything, or have any contact sport where you can be hit in the chest area of the ananeurysm. I would be on schedule to have it repaired asap. Been there done it, just not a good idea.

Just wanted to say thank you for your great post! It was easy to understand and made since!

Your descending aorta is also near its upper limit of normal as well.

Do what you like, but I would walk for exercise, if it were me, and I don't mean power walk.

The more stress your heart applies to the aorta by pumping harder, the more pressure on it to grow. See it as an old garden hose with weak spots. The more pressure you put through it, the more the weak spots bulge. The more your aorta grows, the more apt it is to dissect.

This is one place where the charts and numbers help: the relationship between aorta size and chance of death is very clear. Increase the size, increase the likelihood of death.

You can't run your way healthy through this. You don't need to run to survive, but you do need your aorta.

Best wishes,

I would be sitting in a chair all day and afraid to much of anything physical with an aneurysm that big. Mine grew from 4.65 cm last summer to 5.6 cm by February in less than 8 months and I wasn't that physically active.

Take it easy, rest, you might even take time off from work and have surgery ASAP to get it fixed.

I have been playing slo-pitch (against members' advice :eek: season's almost over) and last week when our coach found out about the aneurysm he didn't want me to play anymore. His words: "It's not worth it".
And he's right. So he's going to let me play, but rover or catcher ONLY, so no chance of getting a line drive in the chest.
He definitely won't let me play summer season. He's a smart guy. Smarter than me, it appears!
It's hard to let go of things you are used to doing. But once you're fixed up, you should be able to do them again. I sure plan to...but not until this aneurysm is fixed.

My friend, I'm not joking here. You are in danger. I cannot stress that enough. I will not stop stressing it until you have the surgery and your back here telling us about it! You can hate me all you want to for my brutal honesty in the matter. I'd rather you do that then die.

Not sure if I said thank you for this. I don't feel comfy doing this either, but I am starting to feel my midsection put on a few pounds, just a few, and I am not liking it so I am considering running or playing tennis.

Sometimes, when heart people see their stomach area getting larger, they think it is all fat. But sometimes, it is fluid retention from a heart that is not pumping as well as it should. You should get into the habit of weighing yourself w/o clothing first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, and before eating. If you are gaining weight like a couple of pounds overnight or 3-5 pounds over 3 days, then you should limit your sodium intake. That kind of weight gain is fluid, not fat.

And you should let your cardiologist know what is going on.

Back