OK, a ridiculous question...but,,,

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealR

All,

I probably already know this answer, but was wondering if any of you do any type of cardio-boxing. I have a heavy bag hanging in my basement and was wondering about resuming a past workout reginment. I used to average about 6 one minute round hitting and dancing around this bag. I am about 15 months out of surgery, in reasonable good shape, but as below, had two valves replaced and of course, did the full sternonomy.

I workout 5 days a week, lift weights on three of those, but nothing heavy.

Not that I intend on resuming a boxing career in my mid fifties, but did have fun heavy hitting and was a satisfying workout, at that time.

Does anyone have a experience, knowledge on this type of conditioning.

The bad part of on-your-own- rehab, is that there is no manual.

This is a question for your surgeon and cardiologist. Only they know what is safe for you personally. What is okay for one person may not be for another.

I hope you get a positive answer and can get back to doing what you enjoy so much.

If you have any doubt at all, then you probably do know what to do. First, if you have not been exercising in this fashion for some time you need to work up to it gradually. If you have any questions as to the effects on your heart of making powerful punches then call up your Cardio or Surgeon and ask as JKM suggested; a call takes only a few minutes. Better that we give up a little macho than endanger the future needlessly. I think that any of us preparing to engage in what might be considered "risky" exercise at least need to know the likely result. My own Cardio didn't want me riding for six months because of the potential for falls so we compromised. I started riding but avoided speed and rode only a track with a hill. I don't think any of doctors have a manual that says riding bikes - 6 months, horses - 7 months, puching bag - 8 months....like anything else it is going to depend upon your overall state of health and how well your recovery has progressed. Enjoy your bag.

Larry

Neal I agree check with your cardio, but I'm at 12 weeks post-op and have been cleared to get back into training as hard as I want (paddling, swimming, bike riding, attempting to run, weights). OHS 15 months ago shouldn't be limiting what you can do now, but for anyone starting a new exercise program it's important to check with your doctor first. Enjoy the punching!!

Hi.
I agree that asking the cardio is a good idea. My experience is that all is ok as long as you minimize isometric exercises where you strain a bunch and crank up the blood pressure. I've never been told to avoid bag work. Just don't let the bag hit back.
T

I would agree on the need for a consult with the cardio ......also make sure the heavy bag does not hit back
smiley2356.gif

Last edited:
I had no difficulty unloading on a heavy bag but I was several years post-op at the time. The important part is that is doesn't hit back. I'm sure taking hits to the chest would make your MD very nervous but dishing it out, probably not.

Boxing

Boxing

I can't imagine that this kind of exercise would present any problems. I have friends who've returned to full contact martial arts after having valve replacement surgery. Full contact means sparring with an opponent who does hit back. One of these guys has had four heart surgeries.

There's certainly nothing wrong with asking the advice of a cardiologist whom you trust.

-Philip

Back