Off Topic- Dealing with Asthma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Hello everyone,

I know this is very off-topic but I know I can always come to you guys for great advice and information. My boyfriend, Will is suffering with Asthma. And it's becoming very bad in the past few of weeks. The thing is Will doesn't have health or prescription insurance. He was in the army last year and was honorably/medically discharged because of his asthma and his life long dream was crushed. Thankfully he didn't stay in the army because who knows where he would have ended up and I'm a strong believer in everything happens for a reason. I'm at a loss, I really don't know what to do. Last night was extremely bad and he was up 7-10 times having trouble breathing. It's very hard seeing him like this, Because I know as just as most of you how frustrating it is not to be able to breathe. I'm very worried about him. I'm trying to get him an appt. with my PCP this week. But it's going to be very hard because were really hard up for money.
I'm finding it very hard to be on the other end of an illness, (Always the patient, Never the caretaker.) I know this is affecting him so much and it's just so hard. I know if we go to the ER or another type of emergency medical facility they will charge us an arm and a leg. So, I'll call my family doctor today and see what he can do for us. I apologize for rambling a bit, I guess this post is a kind of venting post but any words of wisdom that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any good sites that I can go to learn more, I've been to the general WebMd sites but they don't offer much info. Thanks in advance for any information. And once again thanks for listening to me vent. Take care all and God Bless.

Nicole-

Asthma is nothing to fool around with. It can decompensate fast sometimes. I have asthma, and it can get worse during the allergy season for me. I am on Advair, albuterol, Rhinocort and Allegra when needed. The albuterol is a rescue inhaler and opens up the airways quickly, but there are times when even this doesn't work as well as I want it to. Then I call the PCP and get on a short course of Prednisone. That usually takes care of it.

But if asthma cannot be resolved, it can be a killer. Your boyfriend needs to be seen by a doctor and needs to get on some regular meds, plus he needs to get a rescue inhaler.

Also asthma can mimic other diseases, so it needs to be assessed.

If he cannot breathe, he should go to the ER, pronto. The airways can close up to the point that nothing can get in or out.

Hi Nicole

Nancy is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON TARGET!!! Asthma is NOTHING TO FOOL WITH! You have to get him to a dr. who can give you---at the very least---a rescue inhaler. Preventative is the best, like advair, but it is very expensive without coverage. I have asthma, too, and know what it's like to not be able to breathe. Please, please please get him into a dr. Does he only have it at night? He also should look into allergy testing to find out what causes it. Is it only in the spring? Does he have chronic bronchitis?

Again, I reiterate, THIS IS NOTHING TO FOOL WITH! Anyone who has had an asthma attack will tell you exactly the same thing....the stress you put on your heart is incredible, and gasping for breath is no fun. Please get him in. Many pulmonary guys have samples they may be able to give you to get him through, but he needs to see a dr.

Please keep us posted.

Evelyn

Nicole,
I also have asthma, and I regularly go to a specialized asthma clinic. They give out so many free samples, as well as have onging studies (free everything if enrolled) that your BF may consider that route. You may need to inquire re. such clinics in your area. Vlamus

Nicole,

I agree with the rest of 'em....asthma is nothing to fool with. My best friend died of an asthma attack 2 days after Christmas in 1987.... Of the 2 of us, everyone thought I'd go first, but instead...he did.....

Cort S, pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
member & newsletter editor, Faith COB: http://www.faithcob.org
MC's Future: http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
My MC Family: http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Spotting MCs: http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

Update, I got Will an appointment with my PCP on Thursday. I know asthma is very serious, that is why I am so concerned. My doctor says he will do what he can regarding the price of the visit and see if he can offer him some samples of meds. But either way, We'll just have to pay out of pocket. He has two inhalers now, But it just doesn't seem to be enough. One is a fast acting and the other is like 3x a day or something. Thanks everyone for your replies and I'll let you know how it goes.

Nicole,

I also have asthma. As you both probably already know allergies can really aggrivate asthma, I bought some of that Febreeze spray for dust mites,and another aerosal can of dust mite spray about a month ago, these have helped me a lot. Also my pulmonary doc says to stay out of the heat during the hottest part of the day and keep your environment as cool as possible. I also sprayed my AC filters with Lysol. I don't know what your weather is like but here in Louisiana we already have temperatures around 100 everyday. I hope this helps. I am also glad you are getting him to the Dr. my last asthma attack landed me in the hospital for 19 days. You definitely don't want that right now.

Lettitia

Hi Nicole,

As long as your boyfriend was honorably discharged, he is entitled to use of the VA Services. I'm sure there is probably a VA Hospital very close by the NY City area. Tim

Latest posts

Back