Numbness on both legs and arms during OHS recovery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kkch.i

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi! I would like to see if anyone had a similar experience and was able to find the cause(s)?

36F. No prior medical history. Only on baby aspirin and supplements. I had my mitral valve replaced 2 months ago with a tissue valve. About a month post surgery, I started to feel numbness on my left side of leg and arm while trying to sleep at night. It felt very similar to the description of Restless Leg Syndrome (numbing, tingling under the skin, itching, irresistible urge to move the leg and arm, etc.).

Later on, the symptoms spread to both legs and arms, hands and feet. It now happens randomly 24/7. Brain MRI showed "scattered punctate foci of susceptibility in the bilateral hemispheres. It may represent emboli related to prior cardiopulmonary bypass". Doctor said that means I had micro strokes but nothing to worry about.

My doctor referred me to neurologist's team but they are fully booked till end of June.. It is unknown when they can see me yet. I can not sleep during the night and it has thrown me off my daily routine. I couldn't seem to find answers online. Wondering if this had happened to anyone else here?

Last edited:
Hey

I can't offer anything informed but only to say "all sorts of strange things come and go after surgery"

I never experienced anything like that (which I recall), but there were some pretty wild dreams.

I would never say to someone that all sorts of things come and go after surgery, people are scared enough about it why add to that ?

I feel numbness in arms and legs, but I relate them to high sodium food intake, as they always happen when I eat Chinese or other salty foods near the end of the day!
Keep us posted. Interested to know your doctor’s professional opinion.

I feel numbness in arms and legs, but I relate them to high sodium food intake, as they always happen when I eat Chinese or other salty foods near the end of the day!
Keep us posted. Interested to know your doctor’s professional opinion.
I did not have numbness, but suffered swollen legs and often wounds that would ooze fluid and two years ago during the beginning of the pandemic, that I suffer edema and weeping edema. That might be something to check also.

I do not know if it will help unless unless you could be certain it applies. So warning, this is still in the process of being researched and diagnosed. I have had sensations I attributed to blood flow including some numbness with tingling. Blood flows through many parts of the body. Oxygen is needed as well. My interpretation of the sensations I experienced were inconsistent with coinciding characteristics which were missing and would typically accompany such an event as disruption of blood through the legs. My cardiologist suspects nerves are deteriorating from lack of oxygen. This possibility has only come to light this past week. My OHS was in 2021.

Thank you everyone for the input! The numbness is slightly less now. I did more lab work to rule out the really bad possibilities so at least it is nothing fatal but sleep deficit.

I do not know if it will help unless unless you could be certain it applies. So warning, this is still in the process of being researched and diagnosed. I have had sensations I attributed to blood flow including some numbness with tingling. Blood flows through many parts of the body. Oxygen is needed as well. My interpretation of the sensations I experienced were inconsistent with coinciding characteristics which were missing and would typically accompany such an event as disruption of blood through the legs. My cardiologist suspects nerves are deteriorating from lack of oxygen. This possibility has only come to light this past week. My OHS was in 2021.
Blood flow and blood circulation problem was one of the scenarios I brought up to my PCP. They did not think that was the cause. Perhaps they are not specialized in this area?

Has the numbness with tingling been for you since the OHS? I would be curious to learn how they test for lack of oxygen. Maybe I can request it till my cardiologist and neurologist become available..

Latest posts

Back